Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3145288 times)

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #8420 on: December 05, 2006, 08:15:50 am »
I don't know that Ellery quit wearing the leather vest--doesn't it come up again on a Saturday night when they are going to the Red Stallion? It seemed that it was the earring he objected to, and that was more from Ellery's "queer disguise" that he wore on the trip to Austin.

L

Yes your right Leslie, it was the earring he objected too, and the blue boots lol. I just cant remember that vest being mentioned again..I,ll have to keep reading. Just the thought of him in that, with those tight black jeans..................*ahem* ;) ;) ;D

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #8421 on: December 05, 2006, 08:31:42 am »
it was the earring and the blue boots - though Ellery got away with wearing the boots once later on, when they went out to the Red Stallion.

*rubs eyes*

I didn't get enough sleep!

*goes back to bed*
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8422 on: December 05, 2006, 09:36:10 am »
Gosh, I'm going to have to read fast to catch up with all of you!

I do remember Ellery's entrance with fondness though. I liked him instantly, even though I was sure that I wouldn't. This was the first non E&J fic that I read and I really wasn't sure how I would feel about Ennis being with someone else. The build up to Ellery's introduction was nicely paced. We got to get inside Ennis' mind first, found out where he was at. I think that if Ellery had been at the bar the first time Ennis wandered in it would have been too soon.

I see the point about his relationship with women. However, the ones with whom he does have a warm relationship appear less as the saga goes on and new characters are introduced, so perhaps we can take it as read that he still gets on well with Carol and the waitress at the diner etc. Edna's motherlike pressence is a constant.

Karen

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8423 on: December 05, 2006, 09:43:30 am »
                      s'alright s'alright marie, welcome aboard and read along with us again..most of us have read parts of the saga many times, and it never
                      enough, never enough...       you are fashionably late,,,not too late.  enjoy                                                     janice

Thank you, Janice! "Fashionably late"  :laugh: And I'm usually such an "on time" person! 

What a warm, thoughtful and insightful group you all are!  I am very much enjoying reading the comments. 

I am so thankful to Louise for writing such a real, honest, and beautiful story that has provided me not only with hours of reading enjoyment but has also given me a true sense of comfort and peace.

Back to the re-read - can't wait to "meet" Ellery again!

Thanks - Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8424 on: December 05, 2006, 10:09:08 am »
A few more good quotes, these are from chapter 10....

He was acutely aware of Ellery, not as a man, but as a symbol. Police. He had heard what police thought about queers, and here he was, sitting here just as nice as you please with the owner of a queer bar talking about a fight between a married man and his queer boyfriend. It all seemed surreal to him, and he fought down an urgent desire to bolt out of the room, as if a trap were closing on him.

and

Ennis shook his head, still seething from Bill's comment. One thing he did not want to do was give Ellery any reason to believe he himself was queer. That would get him into his truck and out of Laramie before Bill could get his hat on. But what else would he think? He was in the bar, the bar was for queers only, who was he kidding? He already knew. The hair on Ennis's neck bristled once more and he gripped his cup as though he might fall off his chair at any moment.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8425 on: December 05, 2006, 10:21:52 am »
For the re-readers who are starting from Chapter 1 of Taking Chances:

I proposed that we read five chapters per day and each day, I will post the link to the first chapter of the new group. Ie, yesterday I posted the link to chapter 1, today chapter 6, tomorrow chapter 11 and so on. Taking Chances has 98 chapters so it will take us about 19 days to get through this first book.

Louise has created a wonderful index (it is a beautiful thing, it really is) so if you need to quickly find a chapter in Taking Chances, go here:

http://zebratta.livejournal.com/ (you may want to bookmark this site).

All the chapters are listed by name and number and link you back to the original chapter in her livejournal.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #8426 on: December 05, 2006, 11:07:01 am »
When he first arrived on the scene, based on the description given, I pictured him as a big, broad shouldered guy with large hands and a deep voice ("a voice as deep as Ennis'"). This changed as the story proceeded as he emerged as someone rail thin, with thin fingers and fairly narrow shoulders. I developed a more feminised view of him based on this (counteracted of course by the pix of Hugh who is definitely less than delicate!) So my mental picture is still a bit confused here!

I don't see Ellery as a femenine man at all but quite the contrary. He is quite manly in my imagination. However, ever since I saw Hugh in X-Men I keep imagining his voice sounding just like Hugh's! I can't help it. He's totally Hugh in my head with the super chest and all.  Speaking of which...  ;D

This is exactly how I imagine Ellery.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8427 on: December 05, 2006, 11:23:52 am »
I don't see Ellery as a femenine man at all but quite the contrary. He is quite manly in my imagination. However, ever since I saw Hugh in X-Men I keep imagining his voice sounding just like Hugh's! I can't help it. He's totally Hugh in my head with the super chest and all.  Speaking of which...  ;D

This is exactly how I imagine Ellery.

That picture is great. Complete with a wedding ring.

L

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8428 on: December 05, 2006, 11:25:40 am »
Great photo!    What a nice smile!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8429 on: December 05, 2006, 11:31:56 am »
Great photo!    What a nice smile!

And you know, when these lines came along in Chapter 127 of The Red Stallion

“We did it,” Ellery said, grinning widely.

“We sure did, darlin,” Ennis said, then looked at his undistracted younger daughter, and smiled at her.

that's probably about the way he was smiling. Awwww......

L