Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3170015 times)

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #8450 on: December 06, 2006, 09:00:32 am »
Chapter 14 is on of my favorites....Ennis and Ellery have brunch at the High Plains Diner, preceded by Ellery buying "a baffling collection" of snack foods. The  whole conversation over their Texas omlettes is classic. Ellery is turning on the charm, Ennis confused, trying to figure out what is going on. Ellery is paying attention to Ennis, complimenting him, noticing he is quiet. Right here, this chapter, is where it all begins...

L

I want to second that - I love this chapter and have re-read it untold times. Ellery courts Ennis - no other word for it.

Karen

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8451 on: December 06, 2006, 09:12:24 am »
Great discussion this morning!  I, too, love this entire "first day" together.

So far, Bill is completely unaware of how badly he has miscalculated.  But he's going to get an inkling soon!

Another great part from Chapter 14 is when Ennis is is feeling self-conscious because he isn't used to someone paying that close attention to him.  Awww, Ennis - that's about to change - in a good way!  I also love how Ellery engages Ennis at the Diner - he is being charming, of course, but he is also sincerely interested in Ennis's opinion.   

You don't talk much.  You do think a lot though.  I wanna know what you think, having been in the thick of things.

So, right from the start, Ellery respects Ennis and recognizes the thoughtful, intelligent man beneath the quiet and reserved exterior.

Oh - and going back a little - did any one else notice that Pete also used the word "squishy" (as Ellery does)  in describing women?  :laugh:

Really enjoying reading all your thoughts.  Thanks, Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #8452 on: December 06, 2006, 09:21:48 am »
yes, chapter 14 is like a milestone. Ennis tries to put up some sort of 'resistance' to Ellery twice. First when Ellery tells his he'll pay for the food and Ennis says 'i can pay my own way' and second when Ennis tells Ellery 'Well i was gonna head out actually'.

It's like he's trying to put up a fight with himself, but quickly feels this is a loosing battle. There's no resisting Ellery!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8453 on: December 06, 2006, 09:24:30 am »
Chapter 15 -- another milestone thought for Ennis. He is sitting in the sheriff's waiting room, waiting for Ellery:

“Don’t decide till yer stomach is full.” Well here his stomach was full. He had to decide. His hand crept up to his shirt pocket, felt the shape of the journal there. “Shit, Jack, what should I do?” He had no idea what game Ellery Cantrell might be up to, but he sure as hell knew that there was something about the glitter in his eyes that got him going, the confident stride, the dry, quick wit, and in an unbidden moment of fantasy he found himself thinking of what it would be like with him. Not Jack, but the lean, witty deputy who bought him a Texas omelet “as my guest.”. He took the journal out of his pocket, not opening it, but looking down at it as if it were a gravestone.

“Jack, I ain’t never thought of it with any man but you,” he prayed silently. “I’m sorry, Jack.” And to his dismay, as his fantasy gripped him, the face he pulled toward him to kiss was not Jack’s.

Whoa, Ennis is falling FAST! Faster than I remembered, actually. So great to go back and re-read this!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8454 on: December 06, 2006, 10:23:02 am »
In the last books, Louise started adding dates, because of the infamous nine day weeks that cropped up a few times. Looking at a perpetual calendar, I calculated that the story started on Thursday, May 17, 1984. All the running around that is going on in the chapters we are reading today (11-15) is taking place on Friday, May 18, 1984.

There was a mention in one of these chapters of the "hot, early summer sun." Historical, average weather data for Laramie, on this date (5/18): high temp 61; low 34; average 48. No precipitation.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #8455 on: December 06, 2006, 10:50:07 am »
This really shows how considerate Ellery is. He wants to reassure Ennis (no big deal to me), letting him know he's queer too.  Of course, he doesn't want Ennis to go!  ;D

Another considerate thing to do: he always senses when Ennis has had enough and changes the subject back to Pete or to Bill and Gene. No wonder they end up married in only a couple of months! *sigh*

*sigh* is right, lol.
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #8456 on: December 06, 2006, 11:03:32 am »
Sometimes, I think like Ennis, wondering if what I say is useless information...

Anyhow, when I first started the reread yesterday, it was kinda hard.  I wasn't sure if I really wanted to relive everything Ennis went through.  I kinda just wanted to think about the happy stuff.  But now, as I am 10 chapters in, it's better.  The special moments wouldn't be the same without the more difficult times.

::)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8457 on: December 06, 2006, 11:10:21 am »
Sometimes, I think like Ennis, wondering if what I say is useless information...

Anyhow, when I first started the reread yesterday, it was kinda hard.  I wasn't sure if I really wanted to relive everything Ennis went through.  I kinda just wanted to think about the happy stuff.  But now, as I am 10 chapters in, it's better.  The special moments wouldn't be the same without the more difficult times.

This is very, very true.

L

Offline opinionista

« Reply #8458 on: December 06, 2006, 11:10:30 am »

Yes, I know what you mean. The other day, I re read some chapters in Looking for Answers, and found myself crying as much as the first time I read it.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8459 on: December 06, 2006, 04:37:49 pm »
I am borrowing this from the other thread, courtesy of Natali...

Ah, God, what a man, both in real life and as Ellery....

L