Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3170426 times)

Offline laurel

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Heath, we'll never forget you.
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #3260 on: August 26, 2006, 11:04:24 pm »
I just got back from a week of vacation (roughing it - no internet!)  and so much has happened.  Louise, I'm sorry your dental problems are continuing.  I hope you are able to go ahead with your surgery next week.  I can't believe how many chapters you have written even while being in pain. 

I have just read about 17 pages of the E&E thread, so I am caught up here.  (Thank you everyone, for the absolutely drool-worthy pictures of Hugh Jackman!!)  Now I need to go read lots of chapters of the saga.  I read up to chapter 74 before vacation, so I'm pretty far behind.  I haven't been able to have a Laramie Saga marathon for a while - I can't wait to dig in!

I haven't yet gotten to the comments on the "controversy" of Ennis taking Ellery to Brokeback, but I think that it will be a wonderful plot development.  It will in no way diminish what Ennis had with Jack.  On the contrary, I think it will demonstrate just how great Ennis's love for Jack was, and sharing it with Ellery will both show tihe love and trust Ennis feels for Ellery, and it will also honor and affirm his relationship with Jack.  It baffles me that so many people just don't get it!

Laurel
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.   -Annie Proulx (Icon by alighttofollow)

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #3261 on: August 27, 2006, 04:52:10 am »
Ennis and complicated grief

It is very likely that Ennis is suffering from what is known as “complicated grief’ or “chronic grief reaction”.  This occurs when the grieving has gone on for several years and the person still feels unfinished

Ennis appears to fit the profile of a person who may be suffering this type of grief reaction. For example:

•   The person cannot speak of the deceased without experiencing intense and fresh grief.

•   The person may yearn for a relationship that never was but might have been.

•   A relatively minor event can trigger an intense grief reaction.

•   The person may make radical changes in their lifestyle after the loss.

•   The deceased represents an extension of the person and to admit to the loss would mean confronting the loss of a part of oneself.

•   Early parental loss may have been experienced as well as insecure childhood attachments.

•   The person may not tolerate dependency feelings well and so may find it difficult to allow themselves to feel the helplessness associated with loss.

•   The death was socially unspeakable, socially negated and there was a lack of a supportive social network

The above factors, of course, are not universally applicable nor are they comprehensive as other issues (not listed above) may be involved.

Source: Grief Counselling and Grief Therapy (2nd ed.) by J. William Worden, 2000, Routledge

« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 04:54:22 am by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline opinionista

« Reply #3262 on: August 27, 2006, 06:46:27 am »
Ennis and complicated grief

It is very likely that Ennis is suffering from what is known as “complicated grief’ or “chronic grief reaction”.  This occurs when the grieving has gone on for several years and the person still feels unfinished

Ennis appears to fit the profile of a person who may be suffering this type of grief reaction. For example:

•   The person cannot speak of the deceased without experiencing intense and fresh grief.

•   The person may yearn for a relationship that never was but might have been.

•   A relatively minor event can trigger an intense grief reaction.

•   The person may make radical changes in their lifestyle after the loss.

•   The deceased represents an extension of the person and to admit to the loss would mean confronting the loss of a part of oneself.

•   Early parental loss may have been experienced as well as insecure childhood attachments.

•   The person may not tolerate dependency feelings well and so may find it difficult to allow themselves to feel the helplessness associated with loss.

•   The death was socially unspeakable, socially negated and there was a lack of a supportive social network

The above factors, of course, are not universally applicable nor are they comprehensive as other issues (not listed above) may be involved.

Source: Grief Counselling and Grief Therapy (2nd ed.) by J. William Worden, 2000, Routledge

Wow, Jo. That's very interesting. Thanks for posting.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3263 on: August 27, 2006, 07:55:11 am »
Excellent point David... sorry to hear you've been sick... I hope you're mending!

Leslie - do you mind sharing what chapter you posted your lj comment regarding all the recent discussion?  thanks.

I believe my comment was on chapter 83.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3264 on: August 27, 2006, 08:23:55 am »
hey guys, I am here relatively early for the weekend... lingering around in Chat and just posted the new chapter of volume V, "The Long Way Home"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/101593.html  "Chapter 1:  Back in Riverton"

more horsy goodness!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3265 on: August 27, 2006, 09:58:38 am »
STARVING STUDENT CREAMED CHIPPED BEEF  -- especially for Kelly

Ellery, while not much of a cook, does have a few recipes in his repetoire. He learned to make this in college and made it for Ennis for breakfast on a recent weekend morning.

Cream sauce:

Measure 1 cup milk in a small saucepan. Heat until hot over very low heat. Do not boil. Alternatively, heat the milk in a glass measuring cup in a RadarRange, keeping a close eye to make sure it does not boil over (easy to do in a microwave).

In another saucepan, melt 3 Tbsp. butter. Add 3 Tbsp. flour and stir with a wire whip for about a minute over low heat. Add the hot milk, all at once and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens (about a minute or so).

Chipped Beef:

With a knife or scissors, cut a small jar of chipped beef into bite-size pieces. Add to the cream sauce and serve over toast or a baked potato. If you find the beef is too salty, allow it to stand for a few minutes in warm tap water. Drain and dry on a paper towel before adding to the sauce. If you have some horseradish, add a teaspoonful to the finished dish and stir to mix.

If you can find fresh dried beef, it is much better than the stuff in a jar. In that case, use about 1/4 pound.

Makes enough for 2 servings. For a starving student, you can have creamed chipped beef on toast for breakfast (use half) and the other half on a baked potato for dinner.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3266 on: August 27, 2006, 10:10:01 am »
Update to "The Long Way Home"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/101879.html  "Chapter 2:  Breakup"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #3267 on: August 27, 2006, 11:03:54 am »

*** Spoiler Alert - Do Not Read if you ain't caught up ***

Thanks, Louise!

With these two chapters to begin a new volume of the Laramie Saga, you've given us a great way to start a new week!

Curt is a major asshole! He's not pissed off about his father-in-law visiting with Ellery. He's pissed off that Ellery can afford to buy a paso fino. Good riddance, I say. A young woman whose father is trying to come to terms with his own homosexuality certainly doesn't need a homophobic, unfaithful asshole of a husband.

Once again Ellery shows us how gracious he is, helping Junior feel at ease in an awkward moment.
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #3268 on: August 27, 2006, 11:58:44 am »
Well said Fred!

(Leslie - thanks for the recipe.  Now, where does one find a jar of chipped beef in the store?)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3269 on: August 27, 2006, 12:02:06 pm »
Well said Fred!

(Leslie - thanks for the recipe.  Now, where does one find a jar of chipped beef in the store?)

Usually it is in the section with the canned meats and fish...like tuna.