Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3169976 times)

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #3630 on: September 08, 2006, 01:26:42 am »
That big picture of Heath is really rivetting.  :o :o As much as that beautiful pic of grey eyes.

Aren't they such a counterpoint to each other!

Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #3631 on: September 08, 2006, 02:09:30 am »
I posted the following on Madlori's LJ site as a comment following her review and the accompanying discussion:

Through this whole discussion I am reminded of an important point about Greek tragedy. One of its defining features is that the flawed hero should emerge from the ashes having achieved at least a psychological triumph over his adversity.

Instead of obsessing over the original doomed relationship in fics where Jack is miraculously spared from death or where a broken Ennis slowing fades away into the sunset, let us be faithful to the Greeks! The Laramie Saga is faithful to that vision by snatching that psychological triumph from the jaws of a meaningless and tragic death. But to reach that goal you first have to accept that Jack is dead and to let go of Jack. If you can't do that and face the pain of that (which reading the Laramie Sage involves) you are left forever wailing beside a grave along with Ennis or escaping the whole grim deal by zipping off into fantasy in which Jack is still alive (which rather defeats the whole point of AP's story). The alternative, like in RL, is to accept the death and slowly work through the pain into the light again.

What makes Move On!Ennis BBM fan fiction special derives from what makes the original story and film special. Brokeback Mountain is unique in modern cinema in the power of its tragic vision to deeply affect us. The film made us look into the dark abyss of loss and the woundedness which follows on from that loss.

Move On!Ennis fan fics like Laramie allow us to look into that abyss and still find hope. This is truly an example of no pain no gain. Ennis is a classic exemplar of a type of Everyman: beset by fears and limitations and life’s harsh blows. What Ennis does after Jack dies is a model in a way of what is possible or not possible for all of us. If we are so fixated on the spectre of loss and the tragic Great Romance that we cannot get past it, then we cannot use this story to its fullest potential as a tool for psychological exploration instead of a vehicle for endless angst. It may sound romantic to be “haunted forever” but what good does that do anyone?

« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 07:03:32 am by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

yb

« Reply #3632 on: September 08, 2006, 02:16:10 am »
Hi yb,

I think the whole issue is not really about Ennis, it's about jealousy. Most of Louise's attackers are fanfic writers also, and for some reason haven't had the success she has. Interesting enough, they're also attacking Leslie (Maine Writer) and her stories, that are AU, with Ennis and Jack together, only because she is a friend of Louise. It's too bad this people can't just let it be and use all the energy they spend writing their stupid and sensless posts, in doing something more productive like reading and writing a story they like.

Welcome to Bettermost BTW  :D

Thanks for the welcome.

I agree that jealousy may be one of the reasons, but I happen to think there’s another more important reason behind all these hostilities.  They are fans of Jack Twist who are so emotionally attached to him that they could not accept the possibility that Ennis might have a fulfilling life while Jack is dead.  This is sad and especially laughable when I read some comments claiming they have not read the story, yet this does not stop them from criticizing it. 

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3633 on: September 08, 2006, 04:40:02 am »
Silver lining, people. Silver lining.

As of this morning European time, Lori's review got 150 replies, only a handful of them from me! (tee hee.)

While there was some controversy stirred up... I don't know how people have the temerity to quote me out of context when I'm participating in the discussion... but that's gossip for you! -- I have to add that there were a lot of comments from people whose names I have never seen before, and a full fledged positive review from a reader I didn't know was reading, as well as a number of comments by Wranglers members who said they are going to read the story because they just have to know what the fuss is about!

I guess in this kind of situation, any kind of fuss makes the fic more desirable to read, and suddenly, at the middle of book V, I am seeing a rush of new readers!  HOLY MOLY!  And yes, I only posted one chapter last night, partly because I was feeling my way along with what is to happen next, and partly because I was so captivated by the unfolding frantic discussion of my story that I was compulsively reading Wranglers!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3634 on: September 08, 2006, 06:31:49 am »
I posted the following on Madlori's LJ site as a comment following her review and the accompanying discusion:

Jo, as always, your essays are beautifully crafted and a wonder to behold, and I always blush a little when I see ones like your most recent post on Wranglers, concerning Ennis's free will choice to move on with his life.  Thank you for sharing these essays, for your elegant and educated commentary... I feel like SUCH a scholar having my story treated with such highbrow essays!!!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #3635 on: September 08, 2006, 07:10:42 am »

Aw shucks thanks Louise.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3636 on: September 08, 2006, 07:16:07 am »
Thank you!!

LOL, I can't believe I'm about to say this but Ellery is about to replace Jake G as my laptop's background... man, Louise your fic has taken over my life! I never thought I'd see the day that Hugh Jackman would win out over Jake Gyllenhaal in any part of my life... but for Ellery, I'll do it!

I do love that pic... it just makes me cry "Ellery - I want you!  Never mind that blond guy with the ripped abs!"

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #3637 on: September 08, 2006, 09:11:27 am »
Watch out Ellery! Here are Ennis’ two dream girls! Each one is packing a pistol.

Emma Peel

Kate Jackson

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3638 on: September 08, 2006, 09:12:38 am »
The Lori Effect - In Action

Now you can't deny the Lori Effect:

from an entry in my Livejournal on "Taking Chances", chapter 34:

Well, when a writer as good as madlori recs another person's fic and raves about it as much as she did... how can I NOT take her advice? ;-)

And fortunately, I'm discovering she was absolutely correct in her compliments. I'm getting completely drawn in, and don't know how I'll cope with 4 days away from the computer after today ;)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3639 on: September 08, 2006, 09:13:35 am »
Watch out Ellery! Here are Ennis’ two dream girls! Each one is packing a pistol.

Emma Peel

Kate Jackson

Eeek!  Both holding guns!  I bet Ennis's gun is cocked looking at those pics!