Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3145427 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #3740 on: September 11, 2006, 10:16:48 am »
I had a thought today (I know, SHOCKING).

There are a lot of people who, let's say, don't really buy the premise of the LS. They are upset by Ennis moving on, feel that Jack isn't being honored, yadda yadda.

Let's think for a moment about how these same people might view the story if it were not fanfic.  If there was no Brokeback canon, and they were reading about a guy named Ennis who we knew had lost his lover and was still wallowing until he met someone new.

Do you still think that anyone would be against Ennis's new romance?  No.  They'd be saying "Ennis, you need to get OVER that other guy...what's his name, Jack?  It's been years.  It's time to move on!"

My point is that the story on its face, disregarding the backstory, is one in which most readers would root for the protagonist to get on with his life and let go of his dead lover's memory.  It is only the sometimes feverish attachment to Jack that puts a different spin on people's perceptions.

I so agree with you! You couldn't have said it better Lori!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 10:32:35 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #3741 on: September 11, 2006, 10:27:14 am »
I so agree with you! You couldn't have say it better Lori!

I'd like to add my own agreement to Lori's description of the problem of unhealthy attachment to Jack among some residents of bbmworld.

I would add that a few fans seem to have an unhealthy attachment to their own grief over the death of Jack.

I think the people who deeply hate the Laramie Saga are few and far between. It's just that they are, as Ennis would describe it, "loud and pissy."
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3742 on: September 11, 2006, 10:49:57 am »
When you take away the "Brokeback" devotional quality... that "Dennis" for example, is grieving his dead lover... then it makes me wonder if I'm not pussy-footing around a bit for the sake of the feelings of the Jakeaholic Jackaholic readers....

very interesting idea to contemplate...
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MadLori

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Remember - Jack Nasty loves you.
« Reply #3743 on: September 11, 2006, 10:54:36 am »
When you take away the "Brokeback" devotional quality... that "Dennis" for example, is grieving his dead lover... then it makes me wonder if I'm not pussy-footing around a bit for the sake of the feelings of the Jakeaholic Jackaholic readers....

No, I think it's just right.  I mean, it IS a fanfic, and there is the backstory to take into account, and in writing it you do have to consider that.
Jack:  I could kick your ass any day of the week.
Ennis:  Then the weeks where you live must have a No Fuckin' Way Day.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3744 on: September 11, 2006, 11:10:15 am »
It is an excellent way to turn the question around though, certainly.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #3745 on: September 11, 2006, 12:45:02 pm »
I had a thought today (I know, SHOCKING).

There are a lot of people who, let's say, don't really buy the premise of the LS. They are upset by Ennis moving on, feel that Jack isn't being honored, yadda yadda.

Let's think for a moment about how these same people might view the story if it were not fanfic.  If there was no Brokeback canon, and they were reading about a guy named Ennis who we knew had lost his lover and was still wallowing until he met someone new.

Do you still think that anyone would be against Ennis's new romance?  No.  They'd be saying "Ennis, you need to get OVER that other guy...what's his name, Jack?  It's been years.  It's time to move on!"

My point is that the story on its face, disregarding the backstory, is one in which most readers would root for the protagonist to get on with his life and let go of his dead lover's memory.  It is only the sometimes feverish attachment to Jack that puts a different spin on people's perceptions.
Oh yes! I couldn't agree with you more too!
It's strange though, I've always been an enormous Jack lover (still am) but I've NEVER had a problem with The Laramie Saga. I guess it's also because I've never been angry with Ennis for not being able to take Jack up on his offer for that sweet life. And the people that have the BIG problems with The Laramie Saga are also the ones that really really do blame Ennis and therefore don't see why he should be able to have a shot at happiness after Jacks death which they also blame him for entirely.

Offline gn411

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3746 on: September 11, 2006, 12:59:16 pm »
My two cents on the LS saga drama.  MadLori's and Louise's story helped me heal and move on. But I wanted to heal and move.  I want Ennis to heal and move on.

By the way I was really angry at Ennis the other day for saying infront of Ellery that " when I die, I want to be here with Jack"  I mean how insensitve.  Or am I becoming an Elleryaholic?

Louise, the only thing wrong with your story is that there isn't enough. When I am finished reading each chapter, I want more.

Offline MadLori

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Remember - Jack Nasty loves you.
« Reply #3747 on: September 11, 2006, 01:06:55 pm »
By the way I was really angry at Ennis the other day for saying infront of Ellery that " when I die, I want to be here with Jack"  I mean how insensitve.

I can see how this statement of Ennis's might rub you the wrong way.

My feeling on this is that it's only right.  Ennis loves Ellery openly.  I would not be surprised if at some point in the near future he told him that he wants to spend the rest of his life with Ellery.  This is what he could not do for Jack, what he wasn't prepared to risk for Jack.

Ennis is going to live with Ellery and cry with him and be there with him through good things and bad things and they're going to have fights and make up and celebrate anniversaries and build their own home and family.

Ennis is giving his life to Ellery.  I think I understand if he wants to give his death to Jack.  It's the only thing left that he CAN give him, whereas he can give Ellery everything else.
Jack:  I could kick your ass any day of the week.
Ennis:  Then the weeks where you live must have a No Fuckin' Way Day.

yb

« Reply #3748 on: September 11, 2006, 01:08:45 pm »
My two cents on the LS saga drama.  MadLori's and Louise's story helped me heal and move on. But I wanted to heal and move.  I want Ennis to heal and move on.

By the way I was really angry at Ennis the other day for saying infront of Ellery that " when I die, I want to be here with Jack"  I mean how insensitve.  Or am I becoming an Elleryaholic?

Louise, the only thing wrong with your story is that there isn't enough. When I am finished reading each chapter, I want more.

I also think Ennis was wrong and I was not happy that he said such thing in front of Ellery and my heart just ached for Ellery so much, but I still could not be angry at him.  Perhaps I am too much of an Ennisaholic!  :)

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #3749 on: September 11, 2006, 01:11:24 pm »
I would add that a few fans seem to have an unhealthy attachment to their own grief over the death of Jack.

That makes a lot of sense to me and I think this may be, in large part, why I had trouble with the Larmie Saga when I first started reading it. There were parts in the first book where even just a paragraph or a sentence would set me off sobbing and I wouldn't understand why other than that I felt it was all so damn unfair to Jack.

I've started rereading the whole saga over the past couple of days though and the first book isn't as difficult for me after having gotten through the rest. I realized last night that this was because when I began reading I was still knee deep in my own grief over Jack and hadn't realized how much I had been holding on to it and how much all that sobbing and anger I went through while reading the first book really helped me move past that grief. It was the last thing I ever expected from a fan fic but, now, looking back, it's probably also the best thing I've ever gotten out of one.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73