Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3108310 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #4340 on: September 23, 2006, 10:53:07 am »
Go on past that to the next link.  I wrote a locked entry after Chapter 60 which only a private group can read, regarding the recent spam situation, so that I could notify the appropriate parties.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4341 on: September 23, 2006, 11:13:27 am »
Go on past that to the next link.  I wrote a locked entry after Chapter 60 which only a private group can read, regarding the recent spam situation, so that I could notify the appropriate parties.

Not sure I understand. I logged into my account on LJ and still couldn't see chapter 61, not by hitting the forward arrow. But well, I used the link you posted here, and bookmarked the page. Anyway, great chapter. It seems like Ennis is finally feeling some closure regarding Jack, and admitting the heartwrenching reality that there's nothing he can do to make it right with Jack. What's past is past, no matter how painful the past is. He has to forgive himself for what happened with Jack. However, he is still on time to make it right with Ellery and not make the same mistakes. Hopefully Alma gets over her anger too. There's nothing she can do to change Ennis's ways, and like she thought, there's no going back. I also hope Ellery does get better soon, so they can continue with their vacation!

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4342 on: September 23, 2006, 11:33:22 am »
Thanks for link---I didn't get any forward arrow with the error message so there wasn't anywhere to go from there.  I bookmarked it too-so now I can go on when I check. :)

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #4343 on: September 23, 2006, 11:35:14 am »
I couldnt either. After chapter 60, theres the protected entry page, but there isnt an option to forward the page.The forward arrow at the top of the page is greyed out and there is no other arrows there like there normally is to check for the next chapter. Never mind I can just click the links here and save it. Good chapter though, Like you said, opinionista, Ennis finally has to try and forgive himself for Jack. Isnt is sad how, even now, he still thinks he didnt deserve Jack and probably thinks he doesnt deserve Ellery either? He doesnt have a very high opinion of himself does he?

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #4344 on: September 23, 2006, 11:35:53 am »
dangit! I didn't know writing a protected entry was going to screw up the entire universe!  egad!  let me fiddle with it.

Could you guys try again and see if you can forward past chapter  60 now?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4345 on: September 23, 2006, 11:42:13 am »
Likewise June, it,s certainly not silly atall. So will Ennis go back to Brokeback Mountain one last time to tell Jack that worrell is dead and he can rest in peace now? Then maybe he can at last get on with his life with Ellery. I wonder if Ennis will ever be able to stop blaming himself over Jacks death? I do hope so., he deserves to be happy..he,s been through so much emotionally, they both have. :( :(

somehow I don't see Ennis going back---lets face it--IF Jack is looking down, he already knows.
And settling what was between them emotionally, the monument, the addtional information was much more important to both Ennis and Jack's memory, making that peace was more important in my opinion than his trying to tell Jack that his murder died--so justice was served.   Justice like that is for the living--the dead don't care by then.
He already told that to the stone when he was up there--just didn't know about the death part then.

If LIfe is for the living---he put Brokeback behind him last time he was up there---NOW he can remember the happy memories of his time with Jack, and leave the rest because it serves no purpose to any of them to dwell on the murder---and he more or less made his promise to himself/Ellery and Jack that because of what went before between J/E----Ennis was going to work harder at doing it better and right then next time around with Ellery.   Keeping the good and letting go of the bad is the best way to keep the best memories, and get progressing into what the future holds.  Just my own opinion.

And I don't see Ennis going back to Lighting Flat to see Jack's Mom unless Jack's Dad is dead.
Ellery already has the job of notifying the parents--so they will know, and even if Mom would be glad to see him, somehow I don't see any real positive reception of Ennis back at the homestead.
They will find out the details from Ellery, so I don't see what Ennis visiting would do now except bring back the sense of loss again.   It isn't like he kept in touch with them before, so I am not sure what they would have to say to each other now. But stranger things have happened.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 11:46:31 am by ranchgal »

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #4346 on: September 23, 2006, 11:42:40 am »
Yup, thanks Louise, that worked again.  :)

Offline opinionista

« Reply #4347 on: September 23, 2006, 11:48:20 am »
Good chapter though, Like you said, opinionista, Ennis finally has to try and forgive himself for Jack. Isnt is sad how, even now, he still thinks he didnt deserve Jack and probably thinks he doesnt deserve Ellery either? He doesnt have a very high opinion of himself does he?

Well, I didn't see it quite like that. IMO Ennis feels guilty for not giving Jack an opportunity to be together, the way Jack wanted (ranch or no ranch). In that sense, he feels he didn't deserve Jack because he hurt him,and  because he never told or showed him he loved him. I think it has nothing to do with Ennis thinking he is not enough for his men because he is Ennis. I don't think that's the case here. To me Ennis is acknowledging he made huge mistake with Jack, and doesn't want to repeat it with Ellery, because if he does, he then won't deserve Ellery's love after everything they have gone true. (I'm not sure if I'm making any sense).
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #4348 on: September 23, 2006, 11:48:49 am »
somehow I don't see Ennis going back---lets face it--IF Jack is looking down, he already knows.
And settling what was between them emotionally, the monument, the addtional information was much more important to both Ennis and Jack's memory, making that peace was more important in my opinion than his trying to tell Jack that his murder died--so justice was served.   Justice like that is for the living--the dead don't care by then.
He already told that to the stone when he was up there--just didn't know about the death part then.

If LIfe is for the living---he put Brokeback behind him last time he was up there---NOW he can remember the happy memories of his time with Jack, and leave the rest because it serves no purpose to any of them to dwell on the murder---and he more or less made his promise to himself/Ellery and Jack that because of what went before between J/E----Ennis was going to work harder at doing it better and right then next time around with Ellery.   Keeping the good and letting go of the bad is the best way to keep the best memories, and get progressing into what the future holds.  Just my own opinion.

Yep and I completly agree with you. That was a very thought provoking post that lol. Made me sit here and have a deep and meaningfull think.  Onwards and upwards from now on. Do you think Ennis will wear a ring or something similar, I dunno, like a chain maybe if Ellery got him one? Thats something else for me to sit and ponder about lol.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #4349 on: September 23, 2006, 11:50:07 am »
Well, I didn't see it quite like that. IMO Ennis feels guilty for not giving Jack an opportunity to be together, the way Jack wanted (ranch or no ranch). In that sense, he feels he didn't deserve Jack because he hurt him,and  because he never told or showed him he loved him. I think it has nothing to do with Ennis thinking he is not enough for his men because he is Ennis. I don't think that's the case here. To me Ennis is acknowledging he made huge mistake with Jack, and doesn't want to repeat it with Ellery, because if he does, he then won't deserve Ellery's love after everything they have gone true. (I'm not sure if I'm making any sense).

Yes you are making perfect sense lol. Your quite right too.  :) :) :)