Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3108956 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #4770 on: October 01, 2006, 05:01:48 pm »
Actually I have a far far better idea than my writing Laramie Saga stories into my dotage!

"The Red Stallion" is moving away from the story arc of the original story by Annie Proulx and entering the new life embarked on by Ennis and Ellery, and the interactions with a larger cast... my idea is that once I have completed "The Red Stallion", to open the universe up to other writers and fans, sort of a "fan fiction on fan fiction" event in which other writers can write "Red Stallion" chapters of their own, using their own visiting original characters as well as the originals.

now what do you folks think of that idea?

Well, I think it is a swell idea, myself....

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4771 on: October 01, 2006, 05:08:26 pm »
Actually I have a far far better idea than my writing Laramie Saga stories into my dotage!

"The Red Stallion" is moving away from the story arc of the original story by Annie Proulx and entering the new life embarked on by Ennis and Ellery, and the interactions with a larger cast... my idea is that once I have completed "The Red Stallion", to open the universe up to other writers and fans, sort of a "fan fiction on fan fiction" event in which other writers can write "Red Stallion" chapters of their own, using their own visiting original characters as well as the originals.

now what do you folks think of that idea?
I absolutely love it Louise! I think it's very exciting. As long as they keep your OC's true to character  :) I'd hate to see an off base Wayne or Lauren or Dupree etc.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #4772 on: October 01, 2006, 05:10:26 pm »
The Days of Our Lives has also been on forever..."Like sand through the hour glass..."

The Edge of Night was an oldie. For years and years it was on at 4 pm (the edge of night, get it?). Then, in its waning days, they shifted it to 9 am. Of course, by that time, barely anyone remembered what the name meant, anyway. LOL

Leslie

say, I stopped watching "Edge of Night" in my second year of high school, let me see when was that... 1974.  When the evili woman doctor - Dorian somebody, who was taking care of Victor Lord cajoled him into marrying her, and then killed him with some horrible injection of something, and Victoria knew she had done it but couldnt prove it, and Dorian ended up inheriting much of the Lord fortune... or something.  I remember thinking to myself... someone better catch that chick.

oh WAIT!  That was "One Life to Live".  Which one was "Edge of Night"?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4773 on: October 01, 2006, 05:18:49 pm »

oh WAIT!  That was "One Life to Live".  Which one was "Edge of Night"?

From IMDb:

In the fictional city of Monticello, attorney Mike Karr and his colleagues are involved in solving crimes and intrigue which touch the lives of many citizens. Some such citizens include dowager Geraldine Whitney, the frequently-married Raven Alexander, attorney Adam Drake and his wife, Nicole, attorney Draper Scott and his wife, April, Police Chief Bill Marceau, night club owner Johnny Dallas, physician Dr. Miles Cavanaugh, young Jody Travis and her many boyfriends, and Mike Karr himself, his wife, Nancy, and their daughter, Lorrie. All the usual soap opera devices, including prolonged amnesia, a woman with a split personality, murderous mobsters, usurped identities, and murders with many suspects, are used quite effectively in this long running serial.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #4774 on: October 01, 2006, 05:21:37 pm »
oh yes, I remember thinking Mike Karr was a fuddy-duddy and Adam Drake was a dreamboat.  I believed in dreamboats back in high school....
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4775 on: October 01, 2006, 05:29:50 pm »
oh yes, I remember thinking Mike Karr was a fuddy-duddy and Adam Drake was a dreamboat.  I believed in dreamboats back in high school....

Didn't we all believe in dreamboats? Here's mine, for a looooong time....

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4776 on: October 01, 2006, 06:51:32 pm »
How nice - the "Red Stallion" has started already !

Know what, Louise ? I can see myself 20 years from now, logging into your LJ to check out the newest chapter of your newest E&E-saga...me and several thousands of other elderly females. This will be the "Eastenders" or "Crossroads" of fanfiction  ( don't know a thing about American TV, what are the longest running soaps in the US ?)

;D                       the longest running soap on america, started on radio.  moved to tv in the late fifties i believe.....the guiding light

Caramelle

Beautiful mind

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #4777 on: October 01, 2006, 07:01:35 pm »
I absolutely love it Louise! I think it's very exciting. As long as they keep your OC's true to character  :) I'd hate to see an off base Wayne or Lauren or Dupree etc.

What's all this OC stuff. Louise has created a canon of her own!
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #4778 on: October 01, 2006, 07:27:55 pm »
Hey TH. Thanks yet again for more of your insights, especially the following gems:

• “I think, in this culture, we have actors and models because we need certain qualities mirrored to us so we can assimilate them.”

• “Ellery was missing a critical piece in his own make up... and that is why he could not really believe that he could hope to have any place beside a love of that size and depth....At some point... he received from Ennis the knowledge that if Ennis said that he loved him... then not even death would cause Ennis to withdraw that love.”
  • “What did T.S. Elliot say?... that we start out on a journey only to find ourselves where we had started out?... The man returns to where he had started but he is not the same man that left and the people recognize that.  He has rescued the fair maiden, found the treasure under the dragon's belly, grasped the golden ring. …”Ennis returned … He returned the same man... but different with resources and answers that his family needed and the willingness and ability to help in ways that he would probably have not even imagined possible.”

I was also interested in your comment that “In relationships we are drawn to the qualities and aspects that we need in ourselves...  I have always felt that Ennis and Jack were drawn to each other's strengths.”

Elsewhere I posted the following:

“I think what Jung is saying is that the qualities we fall in love with in another person are those qualities which are actually hidden within ourselves. We project these outwards on to another person. That is why we feel so good in their company – they make us feel whole.

”This person is the double or soul mate archetype. He or she is the outer “other half” who acts like a mirror, reflecting and drawing out the beauties and strengths of the “inner other half” hidden within. A person is thus able recognise their inner self through the medium of the beloved. Once this inner connection is made, the person experiences wholeness - receiving everything they need from what is basically a bottomless well.”

Finally, thanks for quoting Dylan Thomas' beautiful poem.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 07:43:39 pm by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4779 on: October 01, 2006, 09:15:23 pm »
Didn't we all believe in dreamboats? Here's mine, for a looooong time....

NOW that you have brought RR up into mind----Have you seen the movie-An Unfinished Life??
It is great-He and Morgan Freeman play off each other, wonderful chemistry--and he is as good as he's ever been in my own opinion.  It is available dvd now, and will be showing on STarz I think this month.

Louise I really enjoyed your first chapter.  this is going to be a most interesting party--can hardly wait!!LOL

Lucise---Postively loved that multi-character mural/fanart pict.   OMGoodness---SIGH
Not only our Boys---but that's my Dupree and Lance there too!! (Deep breath)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 09:19:23 pm by ranchgal »