Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3108107 times)

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #5050 on: October 05, 2006, 12:25:33 pm »
                that one creeps me out, im sorry.  i wouldnt want something like that on my belt for the rest of my natural born life...i would rather have one that signified love and devotion.                   
I agree Janice. Sorry Jo....... :)

Offline opinionista

« Reply #5051 on: October 05, 2006, 12:27:35 pm »
Janice,

I agree. Is that even a coyote? It looks like some ferocious beast, like bigfoot or something.

Part of the problem I have with some of the lone coyotes howling at the moon is that they are just that...lone coyotes. Here we are talking about an engagement, two people together...not apart. But even so, I did like some of the coyote designs that were posted.

L

I picked the one I posted because it seemed perfect for Ennis. It has a coyote serenading the moon, with views of a mountain and a lake. IMO it's a design that sort of describes Ennis's soul. His love for Jack: the mountain views and the moon; and his love for Ellery: the coyote howling. I thought it was perfect. I'm posting it again, in case anyone missed it. However, since its a story Louise can always describe the belt buckle she considers perfect, and problem solved.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 12:41:12 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5052 on: October 05, 2006, 12:40:10 pm »
I picked the one I posted because it seemed perfect for Ennis. It has a coyote serenading the moon, with views of a mountain and a lake. IMO it's a design that sort of describes Ennis's soul. His love for Jack: the mountain views and the moon; and his love for Ellery: the coyote howling. I thought it was perfect. I'm posting it again, in case anyone missed it.

And I can see that, Natali. I did like yours, and I have liked some of the others, too.

One of the strengths of this design (or similar) is that it would like very traditional, maybe even ordinary, to people who see it and don't know, but for Ennis and Ellery it could have a more subtle and significant meaning.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #5053 on: October 05, 2006, 01:09:06 pm »
I wasn't aware this was a traditional or ordinary design. I thought it was original since it is inspired on a poem. Anyway, I guess I got stuck with the idea that this belt buckle wasn't just a present, but some sort of symbol. Something like the wedding bands, that are supposed to be symbols of commitment, of true love. Therefore, I thought it had to be something that was close to Ennis's soul, to who he is. I got the impression that is what Ellery is looking for. He doesn't want to give Ennis a present, he wants to give Ennis a token of his love, which is different. But it doesn't matter, I guess Louise will describe the belt buckle she considers right for the plot!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 01:11:10 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #5054 on: October 05, 2006, 01:14:14 pm »
It is a token of Ellery's commitment to Ennis.  But from the last chapter, we learned that Ellery wants Ennis to have something that has personal meaning to him, and Ennis's favorite of the nicknames Ellery has given him has been "Mr. Coyote", a name that in their personal relationship encompasses passionate, dominant and wild sexuality, and in a more traditional mode, is a common Western symbol.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5055 on: October 05, 2006, 01:28:53 pm »
I wasn't aware this was a traditional or ordinary design. I thought it was original since it is inspired on a poem. Anyway, I guess I got stuck with the idea that this belt buckle wasn't just a present, but some sort of symbol. Something like the wedding bands, that are supposed to be symbols of commitment, of true love. Therefore, I thought it had to be something that was close to Ennis's soul, to who he is. I got the impression that is what Ellery is looking for. He doesn't want to give Ennis a present, he wants to give Ennis a token of his love, which is different. But it doesn't matter, I guess Louise will describe the belt buckle she considers right for the plot!

Natali,

I agree with you about the meaning of the token/buckle and its symbolism to both Ennis and Ellery. By "traditional" or "ordinary" I meant that someone seeing it, who didn't know what it meant to E&E...it would look like a belt buckle with a traditional western theme. The fact that we can search on "coyote belt buckle" and come up with so many different designs suggests to me that it is is very common. Bears are too, but Ellery hasn't gotten to the point of calling Ennis Mr. Grizzly...yet. LOL

I think that this "secret symbolism" very important to Ennis as we all know he is very private about his relationship with Ellery. As much as I would like them both to wear rings (I am a traditionalist in that way), I think that Ennis would feel it would leave him vulnerable. "Oh, are you married? What's your wife's name?" Even a ring on his right hand might be worrisome. A buckle, on the other hand, is something every man wears. Even if someone notices it, all they are likely to say is, "Nice looking buckle. Where'd you get it?" and Ennis can simply answer, "It was a gift from a friend" or be even less specific, if he chooses.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #5056 on: October 05, 2006, 02:24:28 pm »
Finally...

an update!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/127992.html  "Chapter 10:  A Little Intimate Chat"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5057 on: October 05, 2006, 03:21:57 pm »
In honor of that nice intimate chat, which I so dearly love, how about a little

for a nice slow...

Mmmmmm......

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #5058 on: October 05, 2006, 03:30:13 pm »
I,m off for the nite. Nite fellow Brits. Nite June huni. ;) ;) ;D. Sweet dreams. ;) ;)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #5059 on: October 05, 2006, 03:40:32 pm »
I,m off for the nite. Nite fellow Brits. Nite June huni. ;) ;) ;D. Sweet dreams. ;) ;)
Nite Souxi darlin  ;) Sweeeet E+E dreams  ;D