Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3109059 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #5230 on: October 09, 2006, 06:12:17 pm »
now if I gave away what Jeeves is all about then we wouldn't have a story, would we?

But I have made these comments to clarify that there is no plan for there to be a romantic rivalry with the main characters.  But you'll have to read to find out what is going on with Jeeves and Dupree...because that part has not been revealed.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5231 on: October 09, 2006, 06:53:02 pm »

Is Ennis in need of a charm makeover?

Maybe Ellery should consider enrolling Ennis in Charm School, where, according to one charm school curriculum, Ennis would learn:

•   Small talk/ attentive listening. The art of conversation, light banter, use of foreign phrases; eye contact, earnest gazing, unisex eye batting, etc.

•   Formalities.  Impressive introduction, salutations, endearing good-byes, thank-you notes, extending invitations, responding to invitations, etc.

•   How to tell somebody something they'd rather not hear. Practice conversational formula for expressing yourself honestly and respectfully in sticky situations both personal and public.

•   Mastering your world non-verbally. Eye-catching, hand gestures, non-verbal cues, etc. (I can just imagine the hand gestures Ennis would use in class!)

Ennis would be expected to read the prescribed textbook The Art of Civilized Conversation: How to Express Yourself with Grace and Style.

On second thoughts … nah! Love that boy just as he is!              that is down right creepy and disgusting on so so many levels...janice

Beautiful mind

Offline synne

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5232 on: October 09, 2006, 07:09:48 pm »
now if I gave away what Jeeves is all about then we wouldn't have a story, would we?

But I have made these comments to clarify that there is no plan for there to be a romantic rivalry with the main characters. 
yes, and what a story keeping me on the needles; first kind of detective story which totaly catches my attention :)

so Ellery is just curious on all fields,  we say - he suffers from his proffesion syndrome-( hope the translation  makes sense)
I love his portraying in last parts as “human”-imperfect  Ellery, instead of exemplary, properly behaving in any situation,  main character

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #5233 on: October 10, 2006, 04:43:48 am »
No one needs to worry about there being "competition" for the boys.  That isnt what this story is about.  Wayne can look and slaver all he likes, but I didn't write 800,000 words so far just for the growing intimacy between Ennis and Ellery to get sidelined by some hunk in the Red Stallion, or even five or ten of them!  Sexual tension, interest, and talk are all part of what happens in a social environment.

Exactly, especially after their conversation at the Honeymoon Cottage. Being attracted to another human being is just human nature, it doesnt mean it has to lead somewhere. Of course both of them can look at other guys and think they are attractive, but it doesnt mean either one of them has the slightest intention of straying. After all they,ve been through together that would be crazy. They really do have something special together. Louise, apolgies if you answered this before, but this commitment ceremony..is it going to be something private just between them two or are Edna and Wes going to be there too? Whatever it is, I know everyone is looking forward to it.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #5234 on: October 10, 2006, 05:08:43 am »
Louise, apolgies if you answered this before, but this commitment ceremony..is it going to be something private just between them two or are Edna and Wes going to be there too? Whatever it is, I know everyone is looking forward to it.

Not a bad idea for romantic sucker like us, but frankly I don't see Ennis getting all weepy and romantic, and saying silly things to Ellery after reading the inscription on the belt buckle in front of Wes and Edna. Not even in front of Simon and Lauren. I think this ceremony is going to be a private one because Ennis cannot handle this in public IMO. Not yet anyway.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #5235 on: October 10, 2006, 05:33:02 am »
Not a bad idea for romantic sucker like us, but frankly I don't see Ennis getting all weepy and romantic, and saying silly things to Ellery after reading the inscription on the belt buckle in front of Wes and Edna. Not even in front of Simon and Lauren. I think this ceremony is going to be a private one because Ennis cannot handle this in public IMO. Not yet anyway.

Well he doesnt have to get weepy and romantic, althought that would be nice lol. They save that for when they have the mushy romantic cute talks after sex lol. We like that btw Louise lol. Oh well, we shall see what our author decides. Whatever happens, I,m sure we,ll have tears in our eyes lol. I know I will, and I just know June will, wont you?  ;)  ;) ;D

Offline christie wood

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #5236 on: October 10, 2006, 05:36:24 am »
I happened to catch your comment on today's chapter, Christie, and I just wanted to mention that I have no plan for either Ennis or Ellery to wander.  Some people have speculated that Ellery is interested in Dupree... but being confused and overly-curious isn't the same as sexual interest.

Hi Louise and thanks for reassuring me, I don't want you to think that I was criticising the storyline in anyway, I was just perplexed by Ellery's behaviour regarding Dupree.

I am glad that its just curious and confusion on Ellery's part, and nothing more.

Offline christie wood

« Reply #5237 on: October 10, 2006, 05:37:32 am »
No one needs to worry about there being "competition" for the boys.  That isnt what this story is about.  Wayne can look and slaver all he likes, but I didn't write 800,000 words so far just for the growing intimacy between Ennis and Ellery to get sidelined by some hunk in the Red Stallion, or even five or ten of them!  Sexual tension, interest, and talk are all part of what happens in a social environment.

You are completely right Louise.  I have completely overreacted about this and I will now shut up about it.

Offline christie wood

« Reply #5238 on: October 10, 2006, 05:40:21 am »
Exactly, especially after their conversation at the Honeymoon Cottage. Being attracted to another human being is just human nature, it doesnt mean it has to lead somewhere. Of course both of them can look at other guys and think they are attractive, but it doesnt mean either one of them has the slightest intention of straying. After all they,ve been through together that would be crazy. They really do have something special together. Louise, apolgies if you answered this before, but this commitment ceremony..is it going to be something private just between them two or are Edna and Wes going to be there too? Whatever it is, I know everyone is looking forward to it.

You are so right souxi.  I dont know what was wrong with me, fretting so much over Ellery and Dupree.

As for the commitment ceremony I cannot see Ennis and Ellery having this in front of anyone.  I think it will just be the two of them, alone, at home.  It will be emotional, but special and private.  IMHO.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #5239 on: October 10, 2006, 06:44:45 am »
As for the commitment ceremony I cannot see Ennis and Ellery having this in front of anyone.  I think it will just be the two of them, alone, at home.  It will be emotional, but special and private.  IMHO.

Exactly. Ennis is a private man, and Ellery keeps repeating it. Perhaps they could have a nice private ceremony at the patio, with the humming birds as the only witnesses. Ennis will probably like that.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.