Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2188611 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #1880 on: August 12, 2007, 01:17:00 am »
 :laugh: :laugh:

I have never seen Cody let a fart on Oreo, but I bet he has!  :D

God knows he's farted on me plenty of times, so why not the cat too??  ;)

That's a funny picture Dottie! Thanks for posting it!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1881 on: August 14, 2007, 03:04:41 am »
July was a somber month in Indiana. This was the month most Hoosiers found out just how much their property taxes increased. The state of Indiana has increased Hoosier's property taxes as much as 200 percent, and people are losing their homes here; not by the dozens or even hundereds, but by the thousands and tens of thousands.

The future here looks even more bleak. The state has apparently decided to increase not only our property taxes but our income taxes and state and local sales taxes as well. Many Hoosiers are considering a move out of Indiana. Permanently.

On July 16, 2007 a protest against these unreasonable taxes was held in downtown Indianapolis. Roughly 300 people attended the protest. I'm certain more Hoosiers would have attended, but our local media seems afraid to cover anything even closely related to these tax issues. I wonder why?

I also wonder if such tax increases are happening in other parts of the country, or if it is unique to Indiana.

Someone managed to show up at the protest with a camera and they filmed the event. Here it is. You judge it for yourself.

Oh, and God Bless America!  >:(  ::)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arjjb1u64Kc[/youtube]

« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 03:17:47 am by David »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1882 on: August 19, 2007, 02:25:50 am »
Sorry if I turned everyone off with my tax gripes! I noticed once I posted that Indianapolis protest video, this thread just up and died!  :laugh:

Well, maybe nobody is reading any of this anyhow.   ???

But one thing to remember: Indiana is a Republican state. Red. Red. Red. Redder than George Bush's own blood. We do have a Democratic US senator (Evan Bayh) so this gives me a little hope. But he's a moderate Democrat, and in some cases he's as bad or worse than a few of those Republican senators.

But I digress.

If a red state like Indiana can pass such huge tax increases (Republicans are against tax hikes) than this sort of thing can happen anywhere in the country. And right now, Hoosiers are outraged over all these tax increases. There is suddenly an eerie silence throughout the state. It almost feels like a pressure cooker here. And sooner or later the lid is going to blow. Mark my words. My property taxes increased 70 percent this year; from $1487 to $2553 every six months. Fortunately I am farily secure financially, but many people in Indiana cannot afford such huge increases in their taxes.

And like I said, if it can happen here, it can easily happen in other areas of the country.

In other news, my boyfriend Alex is here visiting me from London along with two of his friends. His friends Chris and Peter will be returning to England next Friday, August 25th, and Alex will be here with me until September 22. Fortunately the heat has broke here (it was in the upper 90's F with heat indexes of 110 F earlier this week, but today it only reached 84 F. Very nice!! We need the rain though. We are having a drought right now, and they have placed water restrictions on us. Hopefully we will receive some rain very soon.  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1883 on: August 19, 2007, 02:31:55 am »
Great news about the weather! Excellent news about Alex. Taxes? What are taxes??   ;D

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1884 on: August 19, 2007, 02:44:22 am »
Oh, and I almost have chapter one of my new story written. Alex has put a bit of a kink in my writing these past few days, but never the less, it is almost finished. I don't know if I will be posted the story openly on the forum, but Scott (Moremojo) if you are reading this, I will certainly email you the chapters as I finish them. You were the one who inspired me to write the story in the first place!  :D

Just pm me your email address, and I will send the chapters to you!  :D

I am naming the story "Maya Owicha Paka" (Lakota for "Twist of Fate")

Who knows when I will finish chapter one, but it shouldn't be too long from now! It all depends on Alex!  :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1885 on: August 19, 2007, 03:03:19 am »
Great news about the weather! Excellent news about Alex. Taxes? What are taxes??   ;D

:laugh:  :laugh:

Well, two out of three ain't bad!  ;)

I have no problems paying taxes. I realize we must pay taxes to keep this country running. But tax hikes like this are appalling. What's even more appalling is people around here are losing their homes over all of this nonsense. And nobody in the statehouse even cares. >:(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1886 on: August 20, 2007, 06:51:21 pm »
Be Careful What You Wish For

We have been experiencing a drought in central Indiana for the past few weeks, and we've all been hoping for rain. And we finally got it. Lots of it! Storms have been training over Indiana for the past few days, and now, well, it's VERY wet outside!  :laugh:

I'm looking outside my living room window and my street is under water! The water hasn't reached my yard yet, but I bet there's at least 8 inches of water on the street now!

Feast or famine I guess.  :-\

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #1887 on: August 23, 2007, 02:28:27 pm »
Taxes are bad in my area too, with all the industry and business that have left town all the residential rates have increased and the services provided have dried up. Still we have people moving here from New England where the rates are astronomical.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

moremojo

« Reply #1888 on: August 23, 2007, 03:27:18 pm »
Oh, and I almost have chapter one of my new story written. Alex has put a bit of a kink in my writing these past few days, but never the less, it is almost finished. I don't know if I will be posted the story openly on the forum, but Scott (Moremojo) if you are reading this, I will certainly email you the chapters as I finish them. You were the one who inspired me to write the story in the first place!  :D
This is great, David! I'm so happy to learn that you're doing this.  :D

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1889 on: August 25, 2007, 02:20:49 pm »

WWaaaaaaaa boo hoo...not posting it ??  :'(

Beautiful mind