Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2631097 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #2650 on: November 17, 2007, 01:17:00 pm »
;D Must be those durn newfangled zip codes. ...

Hey, thanks, Lynne and Jack.

I hope nobody took offense at my making a distinction between my "internet" friends and the folks I see around here at home all the time. Friends are friends. Period.

I suppose where I was really coming from in making that distinction is that generally I have made an effort to remember the birthdays of the people I felt I was closest to (writing the dates on my calendar, for example), and yet even they don't seem to bother making an effort to remember mine. I've actually stopped bothering with some of them. Then I berate myself for lack of charity. Birthday cards aren't supposed to be a quid pro quo.

But it's not really painful anymore. I laugh about the time my dad forgot my birthday. I'm pretty self-sufficient and pretty good company for myself, if I do say so myself.  :)

Definitely no offense taken here Jeff. I completely understand what you are saying. I have a way of sometimes making a distinction too when in reality there is none to be made. Honestly, like I say and like Lynne said, 99% of my friends are here and then if I sprinkle in the few that are over at DC that aren't here I am approaching 99.9%. You're not alone about the birthday cards deal either. I too write things down like that, but have had the same experience as you. That is one reason why I really like the holiday cards idea besides the fact that it is just a good idea.

It sounds like we both share the loner idea since I also end up providing good company for myself. I learned how to do that a long time ago :) But when it all boils down to everything everybody needs friends. When everything is said and done those are the people who will always stand beside you.

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #2651 on: November 17, 2007, 02:24:29 pm »
Careful, Chuck, I might "dip" you. ...  ;D

Yeah, I gotta let ya lead next time!

Jeff (the poor man) let me lead, and I had never danced the dance before.    :laugh:

When they first tried to show it to us, I was haflway down the row, and left poor Jeff, standing there by himself!

the singer for the band addressed me at that point, and it went like this......

Singer:  Well, ya done left your partner all the way up here.

Me:  Well, ya picked the wrong person to be in the lead couple.

Singer:  I can see that!

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #2652 on: November 17, 2007, 03:58:57 pm »
Poor Jeff.....standing there all by himself

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2653 on: November 17, 2007, 05:58:58 pm »
Poor Jeff.....standing there all by himself

Oh, I caught up to him.  ;D

Besides, in a square-dance type thing with a mixed group of gays and straights, it can be difficult to tell who's supposed to be the boy and who's supposed to be the girl.  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2654 on: November 17, 2007, 07:04:49 pm »

:)     That will always be one of my favorite memories of the BBQ.  You two dancing together..

just as sweet as apple pie........        :)

Beautiful mind

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #2655 on: November 17, 2007, 07:14:41 pm »

:)     That will always be one of my favorite memories of the BBQ.  You two dancing together..

just as sweet as apple pie........        :)

Dang I should have been there!

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #2656 on: November 17, 2007, 07:56:30 pm »
And here I missed the dance and the hoedown  :'( Janice was in the fast car too and I was in parts unknown of Wyoming. In fact she was in the same car as Jeff  ;)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #2657 on: November 18, 2007, 02:29:11 pm »
Jeff - I hear you about birthdays and holidays in general.  I'm sorry for your pain.  You're a solid friend and I'm proud to know you.  I hope it helps a little bit.  In all the talk of the virtual life versus the real life, I've had a few thoughts.  First, I decided that if I've met a person at least twice and connected with them, I can call them a friend without prefacing it with 'internet'.  My own arbitrary guideline, but I get tired of explaining 'internet friends' like they're somehow 'less' than other friends..  There are people here who completely get me (and accept me!) and I'm not Ms Popularity, but the numbers are in double digits - and I feel the same connection back with them.  That is such a rare thing in real life - I count my true 'real life' friends on one hand and don't even need to use all my fingers.

I'm not a very good friend when it comes to keeping track of important dates and milestones - it's something I should work on...remembering dates in time to make them special and so forth.  I don't fully understand why this online world feels so much more comfortable.  I would say that it's because there's a degree of anonymity and honesty that comes with that - BUT the comfort doesn't stop when we turn off the computers and get together, so I'm just so thankful I was lucky enough to meet up with this perhaps unlikely crew of kindred spirits.

Lynne, that's about the best I've heard it said.  I'm taking "internet" off when I speak of my online friends from now on.  Friends are friends, and I'm glad to count you among them!  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

injest

« Reply #2658 on: November 18, 2007, 05:29:48 pm »
Yes, Estes Park was good times, Jack...maybe the internet is the vehicle to maintain the friendships whilst we go about our separate and difficult lives.  Which reminds me - don't think I have a snail mail address for you neither - General Delivery don't work like it used to! :D

actually it does!! Truman sent me some postcards from Calgary...they were a little late but they made it!

;)

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #2659 on: November 18, 2007, 05:36:13 pm »
Yes, Estes Park was good times, Jack...maybe the internet is the vehicle to maintain the friendships whilst we go about our separate and difficult lives. 

true!  it's soooo great to sign on each day, and talk with the people I have been so fortunate to meet, and chat with the ones I hope to meet soon!

;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!