Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2630837 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #2780 on: November 23, 2007, 02:20:10 am »
I'm speechless, Truman.  That was pretty disturbing.  Misogynistic, homophobic, francophobic, and even anti-little-people.

I turned it off after the men started gathering around the unconscious, blow-darted woman.  I didn't want to see one more milli-second of what might be next.  :(

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2781 on: November 23, 2007, 02:28:58 am »

Who are we talking about here Elle..I havent see any one here giving him a bad time.  That is something
not to be tolerated. 

Beautiful mind

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #2782 on: November 23, 2007, 08:51:20 am »
Remember the president."  And then half an hour later I'd think, "Monroe?  Roosevelt?  No..."

Monroe woul be a good alternative if I were ever to start over. Maybe I could get a job in a grocery store too.  ;)
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #2783 on: November 23, 2007, 06:11:45 pm »
If I didn;t have a calendar, I could tell when it is a Holiday around here.

I go out in public and I see normal people. Usually I see only the miscrents that settled out here, unable to escape and move on to someplace else. Now I go to the store and I see people dressed nice, looking for things like Pine Nuts. They are the escapees, come back to visit family or in-laws here. They flash platinum visa cards at the checkout. Their children are named Keegan and Lucas. Perhaps it is good they are here en mass, so they have some company, someone to watch their backs.

I wonder what they think sometimes, diving into town past the trestle that once read "Tina sux dix" in big red letters, for way too long.

I wonder what they think in traffic, behind the Helms Septic Cleaning tanker, featuring a airbrushed Yosemite Sam warning : "Back off, this ain't milk".

I wonder what they think when they drive past the theater that has a phone number on it to call for the movie listings, because the owners are too lazy to change the marquee.

I wonder what they think when they go to the maul, 50% empty and 50% occupied by food and potpourri vendors.

I wonder will they be back for Xmess.    8)
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2784 on: November 24, 2007, 01:22:29 am »

I relate to this.  I almost always cry at the beginning of a performance when the audience around me starts clapping with excitement and hope.  I cry in crowds when there is singing.  I cry when there is unexpected sweetness or acceptance in TV shows.  I used to always hide these tears as hard as I could, but with MiniMeno sitting right next to me, and so tuned in to me, I can't hide it from her.  So I found a name for it - "Happy tears."  MiniMeno and I comfortably say to each other, "That gives me happy tears."  I love her so much.  She's made my secret crying okay and good.

I sure do understand the feeling you express here. I know it well. Very well.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #2785 on: November 24, 2007, 01:27:17 am »
I remember early on in this journey, when it seemed like a journey, I thought that some sociology student could do their masters dissertation on the Brokeback Phenomena. I am sure it will be examined one day, and bettermost will stand as a magnificent document of people dealing with the issues the story and movie brought up for them.

And all that came after. The connection s made, connections lost. I wasn't here at the beginning but I did see a lot of it come about. It was an amazing thing. I have seen come to pass the promise of what the internet was supposed to be when it became common knowledge, a worldwide network of people speaking freely to one another. I have seen instances of it here and there, but this is a community is the most successful one I have been involved in.

I remember when I met Adrian at Davidson College, when we saw Annie Proulx speak and introduced her to the horse. He said he wanted to go to as many of these things as he could before it was overwith, and although I knew that, to hear someone speak it drove it home for me. Yes, it would end one day, and for me it ended in the parking lot of a hotel in Strathmore, Alberta last July. I came full circle, and was able to let that grief go.

It does not mean that I put Brokeback behind me, no it is a part of my life and always will be. That big empty space in my life I have filled with love for friends and for further adventures. I look  forward each day to what new details of my own life will be revealed for me.

And I, the amature sociologist, see how it goes, as it does go. The gradual realization that the shared love of a story is not the basis for everything. That people can;t always be friends because they are of a certain orientation or open to acceptance. The personalities settle out among the places they feel comfortable, cliques develop and go away.  I am complaning not at all. This is live, and from my vantage point this is beautiful.

And life is fragile. Who knows where any of us might be in a year. Right now though I am thankful I have been right here. Thank you again Phillip and John, and all my friends, which is all of you. It is a pleasure.

Truman, you sure do know how to write a post that gets right to it. Thanks for posting this. It is great. You are without a doubt a very special person!!!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #2786 on: November 24, 2007, 09:27:21 am »
If I didn;t have a calendar, I could tell when it is a Holiday around here.

I go out in public and I see normal people. Usually I see only the miscrents that settled out here, unable to escape and move on to someplace else. Now I go to the store and I see people dressed nice, looking for things like Pine Nuts. They are the escapees, come back to visit family or in-laws here. They flash platinum visa cards at the checkout. Their children are named Keegan and Lucas. Perhaps it is good they are here en mass, so they have some company, someone to watch their backs.

I wonder what they think sometimes, diving into town past the trestle that once read "Tina sux dix" in big red letters, for way too long.

I wonder what they think in traffic, behind the Helms Septic Cleaning tanker, featuring a airbrushed Yosemite Sam warning : "Back off, this ain't milk".

I wonder what they think when they drive past the theater that has a phone number on it to call for the movie listings, because the owners are too lazy to change the marquee.

I wonder what they think when they go to the maul, 50% empty and 50% occupied by food and potpourri vendors.

I wonder will they be back for Xmess.    8)

Some of them smile and their heart aches because they miss the the home of their youth.
They see worse than  someones opinion of Tina everyday in the big city (or what folks up home would call the big city).
They miss the slower pace, the sense of community (real or percieved). They miss their families. They romantasize small town life and wish they were back because most of their happiest memories come from that place. They long to go home.
It has been said you can never go back home again but thats not true. You can always go home, you can never go back. Thats the hardest thing to understand. They hope they can come home again for Christmas.

Then there are those poor souls who feel like they escaped somthing. They come back driving their Volvos or  BMW's so out of place among the old farm turcks or 1982 Crown Victorias or Bonnevilles etc.
They walk around looking down their noses at the people who nurtured them and watched them grow and helped to provide a safe enviornment for them to become the pompass asses they now are.
They think they are so much better off. The thing they don't getthat everyone else does is that they are less for it.
Money can't buy class, character or good sense.
They will never get it and they will problably not be back until next Thanksgiving if they can't get out of it!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2787 on: November 24, 2007, 12:12:47 pm »
Hi all!!

Seeing the word, may I ask if their is a calendar with gay men?

And good sense would be to also have each pics with two gay men hugging sold also to the general public as well as the gay venues??

Hugs!

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #2788 on: November 24, 2007, 01:18:23 pm »
I think there are a lot of calendars like that

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #2789 on: November 24, 2007, 01:21:02 pm »
Monroe woul be a good alternative if I were ever to start over. Maybe I could get a job in a grocery store too.  ;)

There was a TV show with someone named Monroe too, but I can't remember the name of it.