Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2629827 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #3140 on: December 14, 2007, 11:29:58 am »

Just a little side note to Trumans recollections.
Wayne's beautiful home is in a historic section of Atlanta called Grant Park.
I had always thought that the park was named after Ulyses Grant. AFter Atlanta was burned most of the Carpetbaggers built grand homes in that area so I thought that was where the name came from. However, thats not true! I have posted a link that tells of the history of the park. It is a beautiful place! Streets lined with stately oaks and graceful magnolias that are over 100yrs old. The homes are beautiful examples of turn of the century architecture. Today Grant park is a diverse neighborhood of familys both straight and gay, black and white, young and old. It's a great example of how far the sounth has come!
The cemetary Truman talked about is the historic Oakland Cemetary where some of Atlanta's most prominent citizens rest.
Margret Mitchell,who wrote Gone Wilth The Wind, slumbers there as do many other famous and not so famous Atlantans!
The Giant lion,which is an awe inspiring sight, guards the confederate dead.
It's a cool place that I want to go back and visit again. It's amazing, I feel like I am seeing my home for the firsttime through Trumans eyes!

http://grantpark.org/net/content/go.aspx?s=2122.0.35.20

http://www.oaklandcemetery.com/

And yes, we drove over a median strip. :)

We met up with Cowboy Wayne in front of a greasy spoon looking place that the Wall Street Journal had said had the best burgers in America, but the wait was too long. So he climbed in the truck with us and we headed off in another direction.

Wayne, the first brokie I ever met, still smiling, still a solid mass of joy. We drove deep into the century old neighborhood where he and his partner live in a magnificent old home with an alley out back just big enough for the truck to fit in. Then a couple of steps took us onto the patio of eden. It was simply amazing. Lemon trees, Calamondins, Inpatients, Crowns of Thorns in bloom, Aloe enough to put out a wildfire, you've seen the pictures. We walked about in amazement and there in the back I spied it, and jiggled my finger at it: The Night Blooming Sirius. The plant I had compared Rich to in SF. Well of course Wayne would have one.

And then inside, the long leaved ficus tree, two stories tall, like something out of Dr. Seuss, ready to envelope anyone who got close enough and spit them back out a cartoon character. The house full of art, beautiful, vibrant colors and luridness, cats and possums free to come and go as they pleased as long as the weather held. It was just wonderful. I have never seen a chocolate ceiling before.

Wayne loaded us up with plants, each receiving a crown of thorns (as we take up our crosses, huh?) and once the truck was extricated we headed to the cemetery.

It was dusk when we got there, the restaurant was called Six Feet Under, and took its name from the old walled and forested cemetery across the street. The nice bespeckled young lady at the door asked if we would like to sit out on the deck. Hell yeah, it was in the 70's (F) and so on the 8th of December, we three friends sat at a high top table, killing a pitcher of Pabst Blue Ribbon on a gorgeous summer evening, the day dying in the west. Questions and answers flying, phones ringing. More pitchers arriving, like the air itself were not intoxicating enough. I took pictures, so I could remember.

I wished Wayne could have gone on with us, but alas he is still dissertating, but maybe, just maybe, we will be reunited again this summer in Wyoming. Maybe over a plate of bacon straight off the hog at the Main Street Diner in Buffalo, maybe with friends. But you don't forget your first. ;)

The evening took us to a C&W bar were a nice young man with laryngitis tried to help me around the dance floor, fast, fast, slow, a couple of times, bless his heart, it was already too late in the evening for that. But not too late to look out on the multitude that had gathered, and who moved as one, one mind, one heart almost, one love.

And even in the big city, you can still see the stars from the bed of a pick up.     

"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3141 on: December 14, 2007, 11:44:09 am »
The cemetary Truman talked about is the historic Oakland Cemetary where some of Atlanta's most prominent citizens rest.
Margret Mitchell,who wrote Gone Wilth The Wind, slumbers there as do many other famous and not so famous Atlantans!

Well, that could be a little bit ironic. I would have to double check my copy of GWTW, but I seem to remember that's where Scarlett O'Hara's first husband, Charles Hamilton, was buried after he died of the measles.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #3142 on: December 14, 2007, 12:16:32 pm »
Well, that could be a little bit ironic. I would have to double check my copy of GWTW, but I seem to remember that's where Scarlett O'Hara's first husband, Charles Hamilton, was buried after he died of the measles.
WOW! Prolly is!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Wayne

« Reply #3143 on: December 14, 2007, 01:12:12 pm »
Wayne loaded us up with plants, each receiving a crown of thorns (as we take up our crosses, huh?)
;D :D

Any night with Truman becomes magic.    :)
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #3144 on: December 14, 2007, 01:57:51 pm »

Yeah, well you can cast a spell or two yourself friend!  ;D
I was blessed to be in the company of two great men!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3145 on: December 14, 2007, 05:48:58 pm »

Well, that could be taken more ways than one. ...  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #3146 on: December 14, 2007, 07:52:56 pm »
Then keep me in your hearts, and you will have a little magic everwhere you go.  ;)

I recon I do have a karma bank.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #3147 on: December 16, 2007, 01:34:58 pm »
Wow Truman and Richard it sounds like you all had a wonderful time!!! As I was saying I am behind on everything so I am just now reading about the trip. Truman I am glad you got to go down and see Richard. If the two of you were involved in the activities then I know you had an excellent and fun time. I'm not sure if I know Wayne or not. Is he here on Bettermost or has he been on any of the trips?

And again Truman I must say I love the way you write. You have this way of making me feel like I am along on your adventures. I think one of your TV shows or books should be titled "The Travels of Truman." You know there actually is a show here on some station that shows this man driving around to different places. The problem is that his travels and the way he describes them are beyond boring. Yours on the other hand would be fun, entertaining, and incredibly informative!!!

And you could even take Chuck's little gay thingy along  ;D that is if he would let you  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3148 on: December 16, 2007, 04:30:48 pm »
I recon I do have a karma bank.

Yes and it has a billion dollars in it! What an understatement!!

And BTW, you look great in tomato!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #3149 on: December 16, 2007, 05:02:18 pm »
And the morning comes and you know it is the last day of the weekend before you ask that question of yourself if your head is alright.

Mine was not the best. I was not exactly hung over, but there was dead shit on my brain I would have liked to have taken a knife and scraped off. As soon as Rich appeared at the door the giggling started about the night before, the Waffle House, the Body Piercing Place (that we saw from across the street) the Re-finding Brokeback Video we watched until 3 am.

"We can go have brunch at that place Sweet Melissa's that I won the gift certificate to.'" he says.

"You won a gift certificate, when?"

And so with open pours and a dying phone battery we hit the road again, this time to Decatur, a suburb to the east of Atlanta, finding the United Church o' Christ on the way, the VA, Ponce De Leon, but alas no fountain of youth. Litterally or figuratively.

What we did find, immediately, was a beautiful day. Just intoxicating balmy. Rich asked if I wanted to borrow some shorts to wear, I should have. We parked the truck in a parking lot featuring a mural of KISS, with Gene Simmons tongue in all its glory. Its like do the other people in KISS even have names? Around the corner to the block near the square there the hippy new age shops and galleries had their wares splayed out on the sidewalk, the generation of ease sat at tables under umbrellas, coffees in hand, enjoying global warming while it was still a fad.

Sweet Melissa, it all goes back to Brokeback, like we carry part of Ennis with us everywhere we go. We don't carry Jack? Not exactly, we carry him differently because of the way his life ended. I remember back in them earlier days we used to said "Spoiler" before saying something like that. He dropped them quarters in a juke box and Cassie would not let him rest. "Back home you'll always run, to Sweet Melissa...." We found a table just inside the front door, the place was full, two guys were playing base and guitar I think, on a stage, the place was alive with whimsy, the light fixtures something out of a Salvador Dali daydream. What were they playing Rich, do you remember?

We ordered and took in the place, recalled the night, the names, the faces, and a family walked by with a little boy, about 5 years old, carrying a purse. It was an adult bag, almost dragged the floor. "Look, it's little Chuckie!" but felt glad that his family was one that would allow him to be himself. The little boy climbed on the stage to put a tip in the jar for the band, and I tried to eat as much of my Eggs as I could, wishing I could stomach more of them Shrimp Grits, law they were good. Made even better by the fact Rich had won that gift certificate, :)

Out on the street I asked a nice lady to take our picture, just because I could, just because there could never be enough pictures of me and Rich in the world. She was happy to oblige. We toured a small gallery of primitives and folk art type stuff, so much would be right at home and Wayne's house and so made me want to play the lottery. And then we were off to Piedmont Park.

Now I will say this for the record: I am 44 years old and had never been to Piedmont Park, but for more than half my life I had heard of the place. Back in the day when the locals in Bristol all decided Atlanta was the place to be the sound that reverberated back was Piedmont Park, it was the place you could go and find all kinds of trouble to get into. I am so glad that the good things in life are worth waiting for. Instead of ending up there in 1987 and getting into trouble, I was there right when I needed to be, when it meant something.

Walking with the Frisbee toward the field near 10th St., we came up on a travelling exhibit for the 9/11 Memorial to be built on Ground Zero in NYC. Of course we could not pass it by. We walked thru the tent and then prepared ourselves for what we knew was comming. We went into the trailer for the 8 minute movie.
If you would like to see the same movie, go here:

http://www.national911memorial.org/site/PageServer?pagename=ecard_film

but I warn you, it is a hard thing to watch. More than you think you know. Here is their website if you would like to know more:

http://www.national911memorial.org/site/PageServer?pagename=homepage2
I won't take you back to that time, that is betterserved someplace else, but what an honor it was to add my name to a beam that will go into this memorial, what a joy it is to know that in a hundred years someone can read where I was that day. That is an important thing to people who don't have kids.
One of Rich's friends joined us for a game of Frisbee. I took off me boots and ran in my stocking feet, each of us taking turns laughing at our attempts to regain agility. I can't remember what decade it was that I last played Frisbee. And the funny thing was we all got better at it, especially me. lol Eventually my shirttails came out, and then my bandanna came off, then my shirt came off, the 9th friggin' day of December and I was bare chested in Atlanta! It felt wonderful.I thought about Chuck and Scott and Jeff and the others in the frozen north, and knew my day was coming too.
In a while we crashed on the ground, laughing and watching the passers by, some hand in hand, gay and straight, black and white, showing that they were together. It was just amazing. Made me proud of my part of the country. We traded stories from our lives, as far beyond Rich' shoulder, a clouds grew and darkened, and we hoped and pledged if it rained, to get wet. Well, in times, it did come and spit upon is, the barest of moisture, enough to see flickering in the indirect light, the most pitiful rain I have ever seen, not worth sticking your tongue out for. A Rain Flurry. 
The afternoon was wearing on, I knew a decision had to be made. I counted the hours on me fingers and man I would be late getting home, if even now we left, and why should we leave? Such a beautiful day, how many more days like this would I see in 2007? And something else, something was missing. The Sunday Afternoon Dread. I have had it ever since elementary school, dreading tomorrow, dreading responsibility waiting for me. I thought of my mother dining alone, I thought of my cat possibly knocking over plants, thought of my partner putting up his Christmas decorations and you know, it was alight, no guilt, they were separate things that didn't require me to grieve for them that day. That was good. I didn't feel like grieving.
So Rich or his buddy one had the idea: lets go roller blading. Ha! what a great idea. I'd not been on skates in a decade and had never tried roller blades before. The place we rented them was across the street on the corner, with a sign that said the time was now. The kid with the glasses told us we had 45 minutes. I was sure that would be plenty of time to break something. Rich told them his shoe size and everyone looked at him and just smiled.
So I got them in line wheels on me feet and got acrossed the street with its fractured pavement, into the gates of the park, danced a gig, cussed and then was thankful for the wrist guards I had on. I told them, don't worry about me, go on and I found my rhythm, but my buddies were circling back, like bird parents teaching the hatchling to fly. We made an entire turn around the Frisbee field clockwise, a down hill stretch aided by the glassy shoulders where I found I could step off into and run with the nightmares on me feet. Found too it made a reasonably soft landing pad. By the time we neared the gate again I was starting to find my way, knew I needed a size smaller shoe and wondered how long it would be before I tried them again.
By the time we had walked Rich's buddy to his car it was near dusk. The truck on the other side of the place, we walked along the trails and bridges and took in the reflections of the towers in the ponds, took in the last sweet air of Indian Summer, this aberration I imagined had been summoned up just for this weekend. A sweet strong hand on the back of my neck and a laugh or two about the antics we had gotten into.
Back to his house, a warm hug from his Mom and a bowl of ice creme and we settled it. The car came down River Road at a wreckless speed, the children laughed in the park, and a semi rolled down a two lane road in Wyoming, and we pulled out our hearts and stepped on them once again. And then, it was Monday morning, it was good bye and the long road home, because back home is where we always run, back to separate and unequal lives, richer for time together.
Long ago, I had been promised a trip to Atlanta by a well meaning but complicated young man, which never came to pass. His ashes I never found, his face I saw in the the cloudy sky above a Frisbee field. He smiled.
We make the trips, when time and circumstance collide to make us a way. We take that path and we leave that which weighs down our hearts, we feed upon that which makes our hearts grow. We bless our memories with sweet words and symbols, and we hold on to them like a babe in arms or a lover whose mind is somewhere else. We open our eyes and we are in a comfortable chair in front of a cluttered desk and Fiona Ritchie is rambling on about something on the radio and a week has past. The warm Indian Summer has past to a blustery day with the light dying.
Thank you Rich, my brother, it was worth the wait.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."