Author Topic: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County (ARCHIVE)  (Read 537574 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County
« Reply #2460 on: February 01, 2008, 01:51:56 pm »
yes I am planning to do convert the rest of the books.  In fact, I may just continue on.
<a href="http://plugin.smileycentral.com/http%253A%252F%252Fwww.smileycentral.com%252F%253Fpartner%253DZSzeb008%255FZNfox000%25282%2529%2526i%253D23%252F23%255F30%255F104%2526feat%253Dprof/page.html" target="_blank">SmileyCentral.com" border="0

I did want to ask a favor of you faithful rereaders, and that is, I stopped at chapter 93 last night, and wanted to know if that felt like a good stopping point for the book.

I'll let you know Louise. Haven't gotten that far yet.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline frantic65

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Tell me what you want, boy."
« Reply #2461 on: February 01, 2008, 03:07:39 pm »
yes I am planning to do convert the rest of the books.  In fact, I may just continue on.

I did want to ask a favor of you faithful rereaders, and that is, I stopped at chapter 93 last night, and wanted to know if that felt like a good stopping point for the book.

There are 10,000 more words in the remaining chapters of the original book as I wrote it, including the opening of the Steele trial and the vacation, which I need to rework for place.  This section deals with the news that Justin Worrell has AIDS.  Since this book, too, is overlong (stopping at chapter 93 makes the book 135,000 words, only about 30% too big!!) I decided to defer this 10,000 word portion to the next book.  Looking for Answers has to go through the plot changes that I put into Taking Chances, mainly regarding Adam's background and life and some details about his encounter with Justin Worrell, so I am going to take it through another edit.  Perhaps I should have done that on the first cut but I just didn't feel like I had it clear in my mind as yet to do that, and wanted to get the book edited into the Greenlea universe first before I began to change major details regarding Adam's background.

"A Second Chance" may prove an easier cut since it begins to deal more with Colson's life (rather than Adam's), as well as Ellery's background and the reappearance of a lover from the past, and there is less rework there as we diverge more and more from the fanfiction origins of the series.

So - to summarize:

I will be working on putting a Greenlea version of "A Second Chance" up on the TCReader site, and

If anyone who wishes to can tell me how they feel about the stopping point I made in "Looking for Answers"?

Another note regarding "Looking for Answers" is that I may edit out some of the more detailed and explicit scenes from it in anticipation of publication, in part to make it more "saleable" - but for the moment have deferred that, because for all we know, it may be just those segments that may make the story more of a draw.  It isn't that I am not pleased with them, but that Leslie and I both think that this series is ahead of the curve in terms of market, and that getting it to press might require scaling back the sexual content for that market.

Since I know so much next to nothing about the world of publishing, I'll be happy to chime in here. Chapter 93  probably is a logical break & if you'll be incorporating some of the rest of LFA into "A Second Chance" it makes perfect sense. After all it is a series, and there's always a bleedover from one part to the next. I would guess that removing a lot of Colson's family stuff will help keep ASC in the word count range you need to be at.

I'm not sure how mainstream you are aiming to be Louise, but there is a definite sub-genre for m/m erotica (although my local Barnes & Noble hides it next to the travel books  ??? for some weird reason) that is a growing niche market. I'm assuming the big publishers have created smaller specialized houses to market to those segments. Twenty years ago  Anne Rice's vampire Lestat was considered racy, and now check out Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake series,where she is cautiously adding some very soft BDSM & m/m scenes in her books. My local library carries several copies of each of her books so there's a market but maybe it's not where you want to be. I'll get my copy wherever you may end up, but I will also have my unedited copy under the bed too!  ;)

*sigh* Having said all that above, the literary world may not be quite ready for Mr. Coyote yet, I guess.  :-\
You're the love of my life
And the breath in my prayers
Take my hand, lead me there

I can't forget the taste of your mouth
From your lips the heavens pour out
I can't forget when we are one
With you alone I am free

~~Santana~~Love of My Life

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2462 on: February 01, 2008, 03:12:04 pm »

I'll get my copy wherever you may end up, but I will also have my unedited copy under the bed too!  ;)

:laugh:  :laugh:

You want to know what's in my nightstand? No, not 'muffins' ( ;D), but all the Laramie/Tourmaline tales!

Offline frantic65

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2463 on: February 01, 2008, 04:57:46 pm »
:laugh:  :laugh:

You want to know what's in my nightstand? No, not 'muffins' ( ;D), but all the Laramie/Tourmaline tales!

Me too Fabienne!! (Well-under the bed too because they don't all fit in my nightstand anymore.) Damn-I think I'm gonna need a bookcase for them soon. My husband doesn't even blink an eye anymore-he's scared to ask I think! Bedtime Stories!!  ;)

With you alone I am free

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2464 on: February 01, 2008, 05:28:28 pm »
Me too Fabienne!! (Well-under the bed too because they don't all fit in my nightstand anymore.) Damn-I think I'm gonna need a bookcase for them soon. My husband doesn't even blink an eye anymore-he's scared to ask I think! Bedtime Stories!!  ;)

OMG, this is too funny.  You've just described my house, Fran.  Our nightstands and bookcases are as good as any toy box.   ;D

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2465 on: February 01, 2008, 05:43:56 pm »
Ladies, as Wes Brown would say, "I don't think I needed ta know that."

heheheh
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline frantic65

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2466 on: February 01, 2008, 05:55:34 pm »
OMG, this is too funny.  You've just described my house, Fran.  Our nightstands and bookcases are as good as any toy box.   ;D

Marie

;D

With you alone I am free

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2467 on: February 02, 2008, 04:55:36 am »
Ladies, as Wes Brown would say, "I don't think I needed ta know that."

heheheh

Af if that's going to stop us! Ha.  :)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2468 on: February 02, 2008, 01:04:00 pm »
didn't think so...!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2469 on: February 02, 2008, 11:13:09 pm »
I have gone back and cleaned up - I hope - all of the Adam's wife references in 'Looking for Answers' and plunged head first into editing 'A Second Chance.'  So far it is going pretty smoothly and I have the first ten chapters up!

It starts here:  http://tcreader.livejournal.com/43716.html

This book delves into the nitty gritty of the case against Justin Worrell and the beginning glimmers that indicate corruption in Greenlea County, and Ellery and Colson getting a firsthand experience of the fear and uncertainty of the AIDS outbreak as it threatens them directly.

This is the first time I have shown any part of this book in edited form since pulling it out of circulation in April 2007, and I have decided that I am far enough along in the book series to open up commenting on TCReader and post a notice for it on Wranglers community.