Author Topic: Special BBM issue of 'Film Quarterly'  (Read 21613 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Special BBM issue of 'Film Quarterly'
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007, 06:29:47 pm »

No can scan, but LOVE your avatar, oilgun.  :)

I love Heath-Smurf!   Now that Spring is really here, I'll have to change it to a more season-appropriate Heath ;-)

A Follow-up to my magazine problem:   I went back to the store and was able to exchange it without a problem.  I was worried because there were only two copies of it when I first bought it but luckily the other copy was still there and it had all its pages. 
I'll be able to sleep tonight, lol! 

I have a scanner so I ccould post the missing pages if someone still needs them.  I did send an email to the magazine asking if they would make the pages available online but I haven't heard back.

moremojo

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 06:35:48 pm »
I did send an email to the magazine asking if they would make the pages available online but I haven't heard back.
Thanks for doing this. They definitely should be made aware that some copies were improperly printed. Making the problematic pages available online would be one solution, as would printing them as addenda in a subsequent issue.

Offline Oregondoggie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2007, 11:37:22 pm »
Went directly to Powell's Bookstore here in Portland for my copy...but was HUGELY underwhelmed by the totality of the articles upon first read.

Postings and discussions here and on the Dave Cullen site over the past year seem to me to be far more insightful.  Got a vague feeling of critical annoyance and patronization that Brokeback Mountain had become such a touchstone by the manner in which some of the articles were written.  But, as I said, I read it in a rush and need to go back over it slowly.  I hope I am proven wrong.  But, if not, Film Quarterly needs to hear from us   

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007, 11:46:31 pm »
Went directly to Powell's Bookstore here in Portland for my copy...but was HUGELY underwhelmed by the totality of the articles upon first read.

Postings and discussions here and on the Dave Cullen site over the past year seem to me to be far more insightful.  Got a vague feeling of critical annoyance and patronization that Brokeback Mountain had become such a touchstone by the manner in which some of the articles were written.  But, as I said, I read it in a rush and need to go back over it slowly.  I hope I am proven wrong.  But, if not, Film Quarterly needs to hear from us   

Totally agree - poorly written by professionals who ONLY write about so many films, they have trouble tellin em apart.

High felluttin talk about anythin 'cept the subtleties of our beloved movie. Gets real borin real fast - pretty much a wasted 10$, if ya ask me!
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2007, 02:14:55 pm »
Gets real borin real fast - pretty much a wasted 10$, if ya ask me!

I'm actually enjoying the issue quite a bit.  It has some really interesting perspectives and opinions.  Then again, Ruby Rich calls Nathan Lane Nathan LEE for some bizarre reason and another writer refers to Ennis and Jake instead of Jack.  I guess proof-reading is a thing of the past, lol!  Anyway this carelessness makes one question the validity of the rest of the piece but overall I think the issue makes for a good read.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2007, 03:58:33 am »
I'm actually enjoying the issue quite a bit.  It has some really interesting perspectives and opinions.  Then again, Ruby Rich calls Nathan Lane Nathan LEE for some bizarre reason and another writer refers to Ennis and Jake instead of Jack.  I guess proof-reading is a thing of the past, lol!  Anyway this carelessness makes one question the validity of the rest of the piece but overall I think the issue makes for a good read.

I caught those too, oilgun.  And one writer referred to Captain Kirk and DOCTOR Spock. 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2007, 06:23:38 pm »

Nevertheless, would somebody mind bringing a copy to the BBQ? I went to all four of the biggest bookstores in Denver and wasn't able to obtain it. Thanks!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2007, 07:33:48 am »
Dang, the whole issue sound like a mess. I think I'll keep my $10. ;)
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Marge_Innavera

Re: Missing pages?
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2007, 11:29:17 am »
I can confirm that, I just bought my copy, which was sealed, and the pages mentioned are indeed missing!  What a bummer, I really had to search to find a copy.  I guess I'll have to get my money back from Indigo, pronto!

Edit:  Damn,  I don't have the receipt so I may have trouble getting a refund. 
Could someone who has the missing pages scan and post them, I'd really appreciate it.

I have a copy - can you PM me and let me know what pages that you know of are missing? As far as I know, my own copy is intact (although it got a little wrinkled up in a recent rainstorm that would have impressed Noah.....)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2007, 06:56:44 pm »
Pages 41 and 42, as well as 59 and 60 are missing from my copy. Oilgun did send me an attachment with those pages which I could send you (or you could PM oilgun and ask him to send you the same, if those are the pages you too have missing ...)
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer