Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2571380 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"P" is Prozac Nation (2001)
« Reply #5360 on: November 14, 2008, 05:15:56 pm »

From IMDb:  A young woman struggles with depression during her first year at Harvard. Based on Elizabeth Wurtzel's novel.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QWM_Kni6l0[/youtube]
Trailer 1:46

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Wildcard "Q" is The Brink's Job (1978)
« Reply #5361 on: November 14, 2008, 08:02:14 pm »

IMDb comment: 
Words almost fail me in talking about how much I love this film, this very funny, very stylish portrayal of what was considered the robbery of the last century.

First of all it could never have been done earlier. J. Edgar Hoover was not a figure to be satirized before May of 1972 when he breathed his last. Sheldon Leonard who plays him here and has him get it all wrong about who pulled the Brink's Armored Car Robbery, would not have taken the role, neither would any other actor. No one wanted to be on that man's bad side. Hoover was not quite the figure you see Leonard play here, though Leonard is fine in the part. Books and films subsequent to his death still really haven't got it quite right about him.

For all of J. Edgar's fulminations about the great Communist conspiracy at work in the Brink's job, the whole point of The Brink's Job is who actually did it. Six very ordinary street criminals, none of them violent felons in any way and one fence who declared himself in on the job.

The group is headed by Peter Falk who should have been Oscar nominated for his portrayal of Tony Pino, the group's leader and planner. You see The Brink's Job, Peter Falk will remain with you forever. A man without complications and hangups, he's a thief because it's his profession. He does have pride in how good he is though.

Some of Falk's best scenes are with his wife Gena Rowlands. She too is a woman who stands by her man. No doubt they came from the same hardscrabble background in Boston's Italian North End and she's completely supportive of him and his work. In particular I love the scene where she's bidding him off to work just like any other wife who's husband had a night job. Don't forget your screwdriver, here's a sandwich in case you get hungry, the scene is priceless.

I also love the scene in the restaurant where he takes her after a nice score. Falk is at the height of his considerable talents as he tells Rowlands of his plans for the Brink's Armored Car Company.

What everyone will love when they see this film is how comparatively easy it was for these knockabout guys from Boston to accomplish stealing over 4 million dollars. This score was so big, it HAD to be the work of a master criminal mind. The thing is it was, the mind was just not in a body where you would expect it to be found.

The others in the mob are Paul Sorvino, Kevin O'Connor, Warren Oates, Gerard Murphy and Peter Boyle who plays the fence. But my favorite in the mob and in the film is Allen Garfield who plays Falk's brother-in-law and sidekick who Falk keeps around for laughs. They have an Abbott&Costello like relationship with everything Garfield touches turning to waste product. My favorite scene in the whole film is when they decide to rob a gum factory payroll. Poor Garfield accidentally presses the wrong switch and he's awash in gumballs. Falk's and Sorvino's differing reactions are priceless.

A lot of the film was shot in Boston which in many ways is a city that tries more than most to keep it's traditional look. I haven't been in that city in about five years, but I daresay you could remake The Brink's Job today in the same area.

But if you did it wouldn't be as good, that isn't possible.

IMDb trivia:  During production, a Boston Resident was paid to remove the air conditioner from his window so they could film on that particular street for a shot. The next day when they arrived to continue filming, every window on the street had an air conditioner.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"R" is The Recruit (2003)
« Reply #5362 on: November 14, 2008, 08:36:52 pm »

From IMDB: 'The Recruit,' is an MIT whiz kid James Clayton (Colin Farrel). His recruiter is CIA guy Walter Burke (Al Pacino). He is the head guy at the CIA training centre, 'the farm,' which Clayton and fellow trainee/love interest Layla Moore (Bridget Moynahan) go through.

The movie is good enough to watch but is not entirely riveting. You see, we are told 'everything is a test!!!' and this lurks behind every plot turn that Clayton goes through. Are his problems for real? Or is it just another training test by Burke? If this sounds like tense stuff, it is and it isn't. Sometimes it will hook you in but other times it is just annoying - the feeling that he's not in any real danger but its all just a drill. Interest goes up and down until after the 'farm' training stuff. At this point, the story's focus gets much sharper and things become more consistently interesting, with a few cool twists. This is quite a fair way into the movie, though.

I love Pacino, and was quite interested in whether Farrell could match him after the promise he showed in 'Minority Report.' Well he does. In fact, everyone holds their own and the combined chemistry boosts the film. Pacino is steady throughout and doesn't do his unrestrained thing until the end (its still worth the wait!). Also, Moynahan is thankfully given more to do than just be the obligatory chick/eye-candy.

Overall, decent enough to give a whirl. It's better than most of the other spy / thriller stuff out there.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
"S" is Session 9 (2001)
« Reply #5363 on: November 14, 2008, 10:03:43 pm »
From Wiki:
Session 9 is a 2001 horror film directed by Brad Anderson. The film takes place in and around the Danvers State Mental Hospital in Danvers, Massachusetts.

=aside=
I'm late for Halloween, but that just looks creepy!  ::)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"T" is Talk of the Town (1942)
« Reply #5364 on: November 14, 2008, 10:54:47 pm »

IMDb user comment:  A superb comedy from 1942, written by Sidney Buchman and Irwin Shaw, and directed by George Stevens, this movie has a little bit of everything in it: comedy, drama, social commentary, suspense and mystery. It also features three of the most charming stars to ever grace the screen: Cary Grant, Jean Arthur and Ronald Colman. As this was filmed on the Columbia lot it has a Capra-esque feel to it. There is also a dark, austere quality to the photography and lighting that evoke the wartime mood, otherwise not evident in the film.

The story concerns Cary Grant escaping from jail and hiding out in the summer cottage of middle-aged bachelor law professor, Ronald Colman. Grant's character (named Leopold Dilg, who has a fondness for borscht with an egg in it), was falsely accused of burning down a textile mill. Jean Arthur's local gal vacillates bewteen these two very different men, who, as things turn out, get on quite well with one another. Grant teaches Colman a thing or two about real life, while Colman instructs Grant in the law. The problem is that the gentle professor doesn't know that Grant is in trouble with the law. Things gets awfully complicated near the end, as the story turns melodramatic, not altogether happily, as it had been for the most part up till this time a warm, funny study in character and mistaken identity.

Overall, the movie is hard to fault. The actors are so engaging and the dialogue so good, one can forgive almost anything. There's a nicely suggested small-town New England feel to the film, which does not caricature Yankee types, as was so often the case at the time, and is most refreshing here. Grant is, as usual, so excellent that one forgets that he is acting, as he manages to suggest working-class origins, genuine intellectual curiosity, and a hint of anger, especially in the eyes, as his performance perfectly sums up what the film is about, without drawing too much attention to itself. A remarkable achievement, for Grant, director Stevens, and everyone involved in this happy production.

Offline Fran

"U" is Urban Relics (1998)
« Reply #5365 on: November 14, 2008, 11:21:04 pm »
From AllMovie.com:  Bostonian Roger Saquet made his directorial debut with this low-budget crime comedy about small-time Boston hustlers and gangsters. Middle-aged bookie Charlie (Richard Romanus of Mean Streets), planning spy activities via a "Surveillance Channel," has a rug damaged by the painters. When his wife Nikki (Terry Donohoe) expresses dismay, he hires pal Tommy (Frank Sivero of "Goodfellas") to steal a new rug. However, when Tommy profits from the situation, Charlie gets so angry he brings in his cousin Louie the Klutz (Richard Donelly) to have Tommy gunned down -- but events conspire to make Charlie the leading suspect. The color film features a black-and-white boxing sequence. Premiered in the filmmaker's suburban Boston hometown of Belmont.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"V" is Vogues of 1938 (1937)
« Reply #5366 on: November 15, 2008, 10:44:02 am »

From IMDB: The blueblooded Van Kletterings are broke; debutante Wendy, slated to remedy this by marrying rich bore Henry Morgan, instead leaves him at the altar and goes to work as a model for high-fashion clothing designer George Curson, whom she soon falls for. But he's happily married (at least on his side) and going into debt financing a show to please wife Mary's desire for stardom. Vindictive Morgan, jealous of George, hopes to hasten his ruin. Can the House of Curson be saved?

From Classic Film Guide: The film's Technicolor seems to get better as the fashion shows and other productions are staged. Even though Morgan is selected, unanimously as the annual show’s chairman, Wendy is able to sabotage Mrs. Lemke's dress and win the contest. But she has to celebrate by herself because Curson must travel to Boston where his wife's show is being refined in hopes of running on Broadway. The show is called "The Vogues of 1938", and it's an opening night failure per the laughing reaction of an "always wrong" ticket broker (Dick Elliot, uncredited).

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"W" is War of the Worlds (2005)
« Reply #5367 on: November 15, 2008, 05:41:21 pm »

Plot:   Ray Ferrier is a dock worker who is finishing a night of work in the morning, because he works the night shift. But when he gets home his young daughter Rachel and teenage son Robbie are staying with him at his house in Bayonne, New Jersey, while his pregnant ex-wife Mary Anne and her new husband Tim visit her parents in Boston for the weekend. But then the unthinkable and, ultimately, the unexpected happens to him in an extraordinary sense! Witnessing, and barely escaping the horror, first-hand, it's up to Ray to protect his two kids from terrorist and races up to Boston before one of them gets murdered by a large tripod machine in its path!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Wildcard "X" is The Boston Strangler (1968)
« Reply #5368 on: November 15, 2008, 05:48:48 pm »

Plot:   Boston is being terrorized by a series of seemingly random murders of women. Based on the true story, the film follows the investigators path through several leads before introducing the Strangler as a character. It is seen almost exclusively from the point of view of the investigators who have very few clues to build a case upon.

Offline Fran

Re: ABCs at the Movies: The "After Boston, There's Only Heaven" Round!
« Reply #5369 on: November 15, 2008, 07:37:04 pm »
I've had no success finding an unplayed "Y" movie.

However, I just realized that several actors were born in Boston.  Maybe we can find a movie that way, with the actor's birthplace being the connection.  I'm off to dinner, so I can't search now.

Here's the IMDb page link:  http://www.imdb.com/BornWhere?Boston,%20Massachusetts,%20USA

My only other suggestion would be a Wildcard "Y" for this round.