Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2597947 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"S" is Suzanne Farrell: Elusive Muse (1996)
« Reply #4880 on: September 01, 2008, 12:50:47 pm »

From IMDb:  Overall, the documentary "Suzanne Farrell: Elusive Muse" is a masterpiece. It takes us from her childhood in Cincinnati through her move with her mother to New York City to her audition for Mr. B (George Balanchine), and on to both her first and second tenures with the NYC Ballet and her stay in Brussels with Maurice Bejart in between from the late 60's through about '74. The interviews with Paul Mejia (former husband), Maurice Bejart, Jacques d'Amboise, Edward Villella, Arthur Mitchell, her own mother, and of course Suzanne Farrell herself were so honest, insightful, and very poignant.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: ABCs at the Movies: Dance, Dance Dance!
« Reply #4881 on: September 01, 2008, 01:47:20 pm »
Wow, Fran, thank kew for posting "Pas de Deux" by Norman McLaren. I saw this film once bfore, in an intro to film class in college, and the feeling I got when the male figure appeared in the left of the screen, I just felt again. It was an amazing experence for an 18 year old who had little exposure to the arts. I never thought of dance the same again. 
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Fran

« Reply #4882 on: September 01, 2008, 01:54:09 pm »
Wow, Fran, thank kew for posting "Pas de Deux" by Norman McLaren. I saw this film once bfore, in an intro to film class in college, and the feeling I got when the male figure appeared in the left of the screen, I just felt again. It was an amazing experence for an 18 year old who had little exposure to the arts. I never thought of dance the same again. 

You're welcome, Truman.

Here's Part 2:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHQIfPbeoBw[/youtube]
Time 4:17

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #4883 on: September 01, 2008, 02:11:13 pm »
Thanks Fran, i am going to post one of his films, "Neighbors" on my blog, if you'd like to check it out!
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
"T" is The Tales of Hoffmann (1951)
« Reply #4884 on: September 01, 2008, 04:15:52 pm »

In a tavern in Nuremberg, the young Hoffmann (Robert Rounseville) tells three stories of past loves (played by Moira Shearer, Ludmilla Tchérina, and Anne Ayars). He recounts the stories during the interval of a ballet, which stars his new love Stella (also played by Shearer). Léonide Massine and Robert Helpmann have roles in each story.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Fran

« Reply #4885 on: September 01, 2008, 05:03:13 pm »
Thanks Fran, i am going to post one of his films, "Neighbors" on my blog, if you'd like to check it out!

And now it's my turn to thank you.

Thank you, Truman.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"U" is Les uns et les autres (1981)
« Reply #4886 on: September 01, 2008, 06:39:33 pm »
Plot:  Trough fabulous Music this movie tracks three generations of musicians and dancers from Russia, Germany, France and the USA, from before World War II through the war and the Holocaust, to the 1980s. Their lives become intertwined through the historical circumstances, and the culmination is the presence of several, including a former Nazi pianist and a French Jewish Holocaust survivor at an anti-famine concert

Offline Fran

"V" is The Very Eye of Night (1958)
« Reply #4887 on: September 01, 2008, 08:55:00 pm »

From IMDb:  Dancers, shown in photographic negative, perform a series of ballet moves, solos, pas de deux, larger groupings. The dancers glide and rotate untroubled by gravity against a slowly changing starfield background. Their movements are accompanied by music scored for a small ensemble of woodwind and percussion.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"W" is We're on Our Way to Rio (1944)
« Reply #4888 on: September 01, 2008, 11:55:23 pm »
Plot:  Actually, Popeye and Bluto are already there. They visit a nightclub, where the featured singer/dancer is, of course, Olive Oyl. Both of the boys instantly fall for her, but she only has eyes for Popeye. Bluto figures he'll get his revenge by claiming the awkward Popeye is a champion samba dancer. He tries to fake it, and to hide from the spotlight, but no luck, until he breaks out the spinach. Bluto tries various other ways to sabotage his dancing, but the spinach-powered Popeye is too fleet of foot for Bluto to do any harm. In a final twirl with Olive, they end up with their clothes swapped.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Wildcard "X" is Swing Kids (1993)
« Reply #4889 on: September 02, 2008, 12:01:35 am »
With a very young Christian Bale!

IMDb:  Kids all over the world and all through time want to rebel. Peter Muller (Robert Sean Leonard) and Thomas Berger (Christian Bale) are two such young men whose rebellion against the conformity of Nazi Germany took the form of a love of American swing music, British fashion, and Harlem slang. But when an innocent prank forces Peter into the Hitler Youth, their friendship and their loyalties are put to the test against the seductive power of Nazism.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC2bOgb9tek[/youtube]

Anyone care to Lindy Hop?