Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2621419 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Intermission: Gratuitous Unrelated Movie Image
« Reply #4600 on: July 31, 2008, 04:39:26 pm »
And we have a winner!  Give the lady a Cupie doll!

It's basically the final scene of the 78 remake with Donald Sutherland.

How about a Cupie Doll for Sandy, who gave the correct answer in her "Kiss of Death" post? 8)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Intermission: Gratuitous Unrelated Movie Image
« Reply #4601 on: July 31, 2008, 04:48:50 pm »
How about a Cupie Doll for Sandy, who gave the correct answer in her "Kiss of Death" post? 8)

Thanks for pointing that out Paul.  I completely missed Sandy's answer for some reason.  That's what happens when I surreptitiously visit this site while at the office... :-X

My apologies Sandy.  And Louise, please hand back that Cupie doll!!

Here you go Sandy:

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • There But For Fortune
"N" is Nobel Son (2007)
« Reply #4602 on: July 31, 2008, 05:27:45 pm »
Danny Devito played the role of Gastner in this film and also appeared with Jack in "Hoffa", "Mars Attacks", "Terms of Endearment" and "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest."

IMDB: I somehow managed to get a ticket to the premiere at Tribeca and it was worth the struggle. The film is a freight train that picks up speed and never stops going. Great performances from Alan Rickman, Mary Steenburgen, Bill Pullman, Danny DeVito, Shawn Hatosy, Bryan Greenberg and Eliza Dushku (so hot!). Writers Miller and Savin have us constantly off balance and Miller's direction is reminiscent of early Guy Ritchie (Lock Stock, Snatch). It's amazing that the same team that did the sweet and sensitive Marilyn Hotchkiss' Ballroom Dancing & Charm School managed to pull off this wild breathless ride of a movie.

=aside=
Thanks Gil, for the Cupie doll and thanks, Paul for pointing out my answer in my post.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"O" is Outlaw Blues (1977)
« Reply #4603 on: July 31, 2008, 05:53:22 pm »
Peter Fonda plays Bobby Ogden in this movie but he was also in EASY RIDER with Jack Nicholson.

Plot: Susan St. James helps Peter Fonda, an ex-convict who goes after the country music star who stole his song and made it a hit.

==ASIDE==Sandy
Did you edit your post to add the answer?  I now seem to remember seeing your post without it. It may have been for only a few seconds but I'm sure of it.   I think that's why I missed it.  Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! ;)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
"P" is The Pledge (2001)
« Reply #4604 on: July 31, 2008, 06:18:54 pm »

From IMDb:

The enormously talented, Academy Award winner Jack Nicholson stars as the retiring Reno homicide detective Jerry Black. Jerry is a superb investigator, and when he examines his final case, the sexual assault and murder of an eight-year-old girl, he promises the victim's mother he will find the individual in charge of the atrocity. Police quickly bring in a mentally handicapped American Indian (Benicio Del Toro), who was found fleeing the crime scene and previously served time for rape and various other crimes. It appears that the officers found the man responsible, and when he confesses to the crime and kills himself, the other officers, including Jerry's friend, Stan (Aaron Eckhart), and their boss (Sam Shepard), consider this an open-shut case. Jerry has a gut feeling this person is not who they are looking for, however.

The remainder of the movie is not about a police investigation, but more about Jerry Black's reaction to the events that have taken place. His obsession with catching the killer eventually leads to him going crazy, after he betrays his new friends, a single mother (Robin Wright Penn), and her young daughter. I personally desired more material involving the investigation instead of the development of the relationship between him and Robin Wright Penn's character, but that is not what the movie intended for us to watch. Regardless, the story arguably begins at its strongest point, and gradually losses much momentum as the mystery is not fully explored, and certain elements feel setup but are not paid off.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 07:47:52 pm by Fran »

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"Q" is The Quality of Light (2003)
« Reply #4605 on: July 31, 2008, 09:14:01 pm »
Federic Forrest plays David in this film and appeared with Jack Nicholson in "The Two Jakes."

IMDB: The Quality of Light is the story of a reunion between Mary and David, who were once passionate lovers - for two weeks, thirty-five years ago and haven't seen each other since. Through a funny, sometimes uncomfortable, and combative evening we learn what that brief romance meant to them and how they feel about the subsequent course of their lives. In the end, each must deal with the mysterious and, perhaps, scandalous reason their affair suddenly ended.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"R" is The Raven (1963)
« Reply #4606 on: July 31, 2008, 09:31:17 pm »
Jack played Rexford Bedlo in this film.

IMDb:  Sorry, if you are expecting a movie based on Poe's poem. Other than Vincent Price elucidating one line from the poem and his wife being named Lenore, any other connections are coincidental. Yet, I'm sure you will find this movie entertaining and funny. An all star cast of Vincent Price, (the kind but powerful hero), Peter Lorre, (a sniveling, shifty, weasel), and Karloff at his diabolical best as the evil magician. It is sort of a D&D version of the Good, Bad & the Ugly. Great special effects for its time. A young, soon to be Superstar Jack Nicholson playing Peter Lorre's noble son does not really add to the story, but it's fun to see him in his fledging days.

=congrats= Fran
On 7,000 grammatically correct posts!
(Look, Fran, no hyphen!)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
"S" is A Safe Place (1971)
« Reply #4607 on: July 31, 2008, 09:42:57 pm »
Jack Nicholson played Mitch in "A Safe Place."

From IMDb:  A young woman named Noah (Tuesday Weld) lives alone in New York. She is a disturbed flower child, who retreats into her past, yearning for lost innocence. She recalls her childhood, searching for a "safe place." As a child she met a magician (Orson Welles) in Central Park who presented her with magical objects: a levitating silver ball, a star ring, and a Noah's ark. She is romantically involved with two totally different men. Fred (Philip Proctor) is practical but dull. Mitch (Jack Nicholson) is dynamic and sexy, her ideal fantasy partner. Neither man is able to totally fulfill her needs.

=aside= Paul
Thanks.  :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 08:40:06 pm by Fran »

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"T" is The Terror (1963)
« Reply #4608 on: July 31, 2008, 10:53:52 pm »
Jack played Lt. Andre Duvalier in this film.

IMDB: In one of Roger Corman's many movies about dead people who don't seem to want to stay dead, Lt. Andre Duvalier (a very young Jack Nicholson) meets a young woman (Sandra Knight, Nicholson's wife at the time) along the beach and follows her to a castle inhabited by elderly Baron Von Leppe (Boris Karloff). Von Leppe's deceased wife looked exactly like the woman on the beach. Sure enough, there's a deadly secret behind all this...something that threatens to destroy everyone.

Obviously, this movie's sure to be a treat for any fan of early '60s camp. But specifically, this stars Karloff and Nicholson, plus Sandra Knight and frequent Corman cast member Dick Miller* as Karloff's servant. It's sort of weird - but neat - seeing Miller's husky face and hearing his New York accent in a Gothic tale. A pretty cool movie.

*More recently, Dick Miller has appeared in every one of Joe Dante's movies. No doubt Dante grew up watching Corman's movies and decided to cast Miller in his own movies.

=congrats= Fran
On 7,000 Posts

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"U" is Up in Central Park (1948)
« Reply #4609 on: August 01, 2008, 08:39:12 am »
Vincent Price played Boss Tweed alongside Deanna Durbin in this film, and also played with Jack as Dr. Craven in The Raven.

Plot:  A newspaper reporter and the daughter of an immigrant maintenance man help expose political corruption in New York City.

=aside=
This reminds me of our Meryl, who was recently up over  Central Park in a balloon.

=OT aside=
Vincent Price played the eggs-tremely bald and punning Egghead in the campy 60s Batman TV show.