Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3160309 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #1610 on: July 17, 2006, 05:16:54 am »
I have posted a Note to the Readers, mostly to thank those who have participated in discussion and have left comments on "The Laramie Saga."

http://louisev.livejournal.com/74866.html  "Note to the Readers"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1611 on: July 17, 2006, 05:31:19 am »

7) I also want to mention that slash fiction IS about sex fantasy.  If there were no sex or fantasy in it, it wouldn't be slash fiction.  To this end, there is humor and an entertainment element as well as mystery, drama, and angst.  I don't feel that this is outside the pale of slash fiction, nor do I owe any apologies for that.  Some themes, like the processing of grief over a secret lover, are too painful to not have some relief, and that is also part of my purpose.  I don't want to make readers cry unrelentingly or make the wounds left by BBM any deeper, and have tried to make reading these fics entertaining as well as comforting.  I would also like to say that those who have read and enjoyed the "Laramie" stories have found Ennis to be accurate, his growth to be believable and credible, and the story to be a fair assessment of conditions in that time and place.  Everyone is welcome to their own opinion, but some of what has been stated here, such as the comment "an overwhelming majority of fans find it unbelievable" are not speaking for the people who read and enjoy it.  I say, let be, let be.
Yep, slash fiction IS about sex fantasy, that's a big part of writing slash. But because the Laramie Saga also has all of the above mentioned in it I enjoy reading it so very very much. As yes, the chapters that have Ennis going up to Brokeback and dealing with Jack's loss were extremely painful for me as were the one's dealing with Jack's killer but they were oh so necessary for me as well.
I love your Ennis, I find him true, real and very very believeble and my love for Ellery is overwhelming.
I am so happy I found this place that let's me openly enjoy, read and comment on these truly wonderful stories.
Thank you SO much Louise  :)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1612 on: July 17, 2006, 05:35:11 am »
hey!  You didn't go away June!  I am so happy to see you here.

It was a lively weekend of discussion and commentary, and I hope everyone knows that I am simply thrilled that people are talking about the Laramie stories because I spend a lot of time writing them!!!  I am tickled pink that people are so enthused, and I just got done replying to another long fan letter.  Perhaps it will reassure everyone here to know that I get a LOT of LJ comments, and a whole lot of fan mail, and I do not feel in the least distressed that there are people who don't like and don't read the Laramie Saga.  I write for the people who do, not for those who don't!!!

I love the pictures, the LJ comments, and sometimes even the plot suggestions (not always, but sometimes!)

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #1613 on: July 17, 2006, 06:06:43 am »
Hehehe Louise, which plot suggestions didnt you like??!

It thrills me to no end to hear about the fan mail and of course I know about the LJ comments because I always read them and comment myself. You went through a really rough time Louise and I'm SO glad that's all in the past now  :)

I am in Greece! but I just can't stay away, LOL! Have to keep reading your updates! And it's SO hot out today, I'm staying out of the sun between 12 and 15:00
OT - any news of you still being in Germany in October?  :)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1614 on: July 17, 2006, 06:27:23 am »
Right now it looks like I will be here to the end of October.  I wish it was longer... but it is still possible.

And very glad you can't stay away... you always leave comments, and I am very grateful for them, June.  Enjoy.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1615 on: July 17, 2006, 06:30:59 am »
Hi, Leslie!

Please feel free to copy and paste over there. I have no desire or intention of visiting that site ever again. People I care about have been hurt over there because of the irresponsibility of moderators. If I knew how to withdraw my registration from that site I would do so.

If you promise not to linger over there too long while pasting my thoughts, I promise not to growl, at least not to growl too much...  ;D

I am not going to paste this, Fred, tempted as I am. I know we have lurkers here. Hopefully they'll see your comments and think about them for a minute or two or three...
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1616 on: July 17, 2006, 06:38:58 am »
I am trying to keep of what here seems to be called TFW (obviously taken seriously), but I would like to point out that it is generally considered very bad netiquette/manners to quote or talk about specific posts on another forum without the poster's knowledge and ability to respond. I have let Melissa know that she was quoted here.

Thank you Lia. I have revised my post accordingly. If Melissa has concerns, I hope she'll let me know.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #1617 on: July 17, 2006, 06:40:41 am »
Right now it looks like I will be here to the end of October.  I wish it was longer... but it is still possible.

And very glad you can't stay away... you always leave comments, and I am very grateful for them, June.  Enjoy.
Squeeee! that's great news!!

You're very welcome Louise. Love doing it  :-*

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1618 on: July 17, 2006, 07:15:57 am »
In Maine?! That would explain your "frame of mind." Shrinkage!

Unfortunately, despite the miles and miles of coastline, there are no nude beaches in Maine! My skinny dipping here is limited to the river at the end of my yard. Places I have been include Davis Park, NY (Fire Island) and several "les plages naturistes" in France. One of these days I hope to get to Haulover Beach in Miami.

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1619 on: July 17, 2006, 07:19:37 am »
MaineWriter and notBastet kindly invited me to visit the E&E thread.  I've spent the better part of this past week reading through the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd parts of the Laramie Saga, up to yesterday. 

Hey Quip, welcome....glad to have you here. I'll offer my usual cup of coffee and piece of cherry cake, although here at E&E, muffins and ice cream pie seem to be the sweet treats on the menu.

Glad you are enjoying the Laramie Saga and glad you enjoyed Human Interest. HI was the first fanfic I read seriously (I had skimmed many others). Now the inevitable question...have you read my story, A Love Born From Steel? Links are here at Bettermost, if you haven't. There is also a discussion thread, which isn't real lively right now, since the story has concluded.

Looking forward to having you join our little family.

Leslie