Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3130875 times)

Offline neatfreak

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #2110 on: July 24, 2006, 09:36:29 am »
A little known fact about Bill which Ellery may unfortunately let slip some time in the future... Bill had very good stamina in the sack.

I'm hoping this will ultimately lead our boys to a lengthy lovemaking session which will require at least two chapters to fully describe in intimate detail.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2111 on: July 24, 2006, 10:00:51 am »
after a difficult and passionate shouting match.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2112 on: July 24, 2006, 11:15:25 am »
Well gang,

I had a both relaxing! and productive! day at work today.  Considering the hair-raising hijinks of the weekend, with sirens and fires and traffic being rerouted through my normally sleeply little burb of Burbach... I found out today that a rubber warehouse near my house had burned down.  Hence all the billowing black smoke, and the lingering sickly acrid odor permeating the air in our neighborhood.  Just lovely to sniff when it's over 30 degrees C.  And yes... the smell is STILL there.

It occurs to me after the fact that the unrelenting "police emergency" theme from Saturday's chapters may have had a lot to do with hearing sirens for 12 hours straight.  I think that means things will settle down in the foregoing chapters I have yet to write tonight!!!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Jane

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Together forever.xx
« Reply #2113 on: July 24, 2006, 11:19:06 am »
I'm hoping this will ultimately lead our boys to a lengthy lovemaking session which will require at least two chapters to fully describe in intimate detail.

2 At the very least!! ;) ;) btw Louise I,ve started reading the story all over again from the start.(I,ve also got to stock up on more ink for my printer) It gets better with each reading. Ennis has really come a long long way hasnt he? I know he,s not comfortable with public shows of affection yet, but in the interview room he hugged Ellery and called him darlin without seeming to care that Edna was in the room so thats a good thing.
Great story Louise, as always. :) :)
Always and forever. J&E.xx

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2114 on: July 24, 2006, 12:11:43 pm »
Friends--

I am having the weirdest reaction and you need to help me a bit.

If you read back a few pages, when we were doing a little re-introduction of ourselves, I mentioned how I found out about Ennis & Ellery in the first place--an email from a fellow fanfic author who was commenting more on Louise's incredible output, rather than on the story. Anyway, I happened to get an email from her earlier today (we don't correspond all that regularly, more like once in awhile) and in my reply I said, "Did you ever start reading the E&E story? You originally sent me the link and I got hooked."

She writes back and says she had to quit reading after 5 or 6 chapters and listed all the reasons...none of which happened in the first 5 or 6 chapters. In fact, some of her reasons never happened at all! But meanwhile, even while admitting she didn't read the story, she is busy tearing it down.

I have the same reaction to people who say, "I will not watch BBM, but..." and then provide an inaccurate critque.

I am so tempted to write back and blast her out of the water but then I say, what's the point? Why bother? If she doesn't want to read, she doesn't need to read, right? But it is that visceral reaction of "don't you dare say anything bad about E&E!" And it is also the reaction of those who would critique a story who haven't even read it. THAT just makes me see red.

I think I am also a little po'ed because way back when she wouldn't read my story, with the lame excuse that she wasn't reading any fanfics while she wrote her own. I knew that wasn't true since she was posting reviews all over the place, but whatever. Now she comes back and tells me she has started reading my story and guess what? She thinks it's good! Wowza! But then she says, "I wouldn't read it originally, because I didn't think you were going to be nice to Jack." Huh? "I saw it on a list of stories with happy endings and decided to give it a try." What's that called--damning with faint praise? Please.

Sorry for the rant, I just needed to get that off my chest. Thanks for listening.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline gn411

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2115 on: July 24, 2006, 12:28:10 pm »
Leslie, in regards to your question, how did we get here to the board? Louise directed me from a pm. I picked up the story on the DC board.

About the individual who had stopped reading Ennis and Ellery,for whatever reason.  Your instict to defend is admirable, but to what point?  Are you going to change this persons mind?

We know what we have here.  Louise has provided alot of healing and ability to "MOVE ON", not just for Ennis, but alot of us!  Besides E & E are fictional characters.  If the individual had something negitive to say about a real person, than a well thought out reasonable response is justified. 

Louise is doing an incrediable job as far as we are concerned.  From output to plot driven story that has got and keeps us all riveted to our computer screens. 

I think the story speaks for itself! 

Best // Bob

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2116 on: July 24, 2006, 12:47:35 pm »
Leslie, in regards to your question, how did we get here to the board? Louise directed me from a pm. I picked up the story on the DC board.

About the individual who had stopped reading Ennis and Ellery,for whatever reason.  Your instict to defend is admirable, but to what point?  Are you going to change this persons mind?

We know what we have here.  Louise has provided alot of healing and ability to "MOVE ON", not just for Ennis, but alot of us!  Besides E & E are fictional characters.  If the individual had something negitive to say about a real person, than a well thought out reasonable response is justified. 

Louise is doing an incrediable job as far as we are concerned.  From output to plot driven story that has got and keeps us all riveted to our computer screens. 

I think the story speaks for itself! 

Best // Bob

Thank you, Bob. Calm, rational people always help me when my blood pressure goes sky high!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2117 on: July 24, 2006, 12:51:09 pm »
Authors in the commercial fiction world never have to worry about readers:  they, and their publishers, worry about sales.  If the book is sold to a customer, the author literally would not care less whether the person puts it on their shelf (many do) or reads it, because the book is sold and the author and publisher have benefited from it.  It isnt really any of the author's business how many people actually read it.  Presumably, however, having spent 8.95 or 13.95 or whatever the going rate is for paperback or hardcover books, purchasers are going to most likely read, sooner or later.

Fan fiction is free, and like many free things, is not valued the same as items people pay for.  And reading is for the pleasure, or for the motivation - such as looking for a new and more hopeful ending, immersing oneself in a future where Jack doesn't die and he and Ennis make a happy life together, a telling of BBM that involves far more explicit sexual descriptions for entertainment value.  Whatever it is, people shop for it, and they do so mostly by word of mouth.

For whatever peculiar psychological reason, there are really only two kinds of readers of the "Laramie Saga":  those who love it, and those who start reading and drop it lilke a rock.  I have talked with a lot of people about why this is so, and haven't drawn any hard and fast conclusions, except that AU fiction that posits a happy and sex-filled future in a safe haven for Jack and Ennis are the preferred reading of most fan fiction writers.  For those who prefer to read the original ending and stick with that, they also tend to prefer fiction where Ennis works through his grief and pain without substantially improving his lot in life, and without finding another lover.  These are popular tastes in the fan fiction world.

I didnt write this saga for those people.  I wrote for those who, identifiying too closely with Ennis, and feeling a gaping wound left at the end of the film or story, have to complete the story with a plausible future outcome for Ennis and a step by step resolution of his losses and pains, and doing so in the context of a new, healthier love relationship with another man.  This audience is people who need to have a mirror for the kind of change they personally would like to accomplish for themselves - and not everyone wants to do that, and as we well know, not every fan fiction reader wants to see that unfold in a story.  So without sounding smug (No, I don't believe that those readers who want to move on are better people... just in a different place with respect to the original story/film), the Laramie Saga is for a specialized audience.  Like Brokeback Mountain itself - it does not speak to everyone, and it will leave many readers who fell in love with BBM - completely cold.

That's okay too.  While it is patently unfair to write something off that you haven't read... readers of fan fiction get what they pay for.  And any time they feel they didn't get what they wanted in my story --- they are welcome to ask for a refund.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2118 on: July 24, 2006, 12:54:37 pm »
Howdy folks!  :)

Louise - I too am looking forward to some intense "fancy" chapters!  :P

Leslie - I agree with Bob!  We got a good thing happenin' here, and we sure as heck don't need to prove it to anyone.  It's a sweet life with E&E, thank you Louise!  :-*

Offline Jane

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Together forever.xx
« Reply #2119 on: July 24, 2006, 01:05:33 pm »
Howdy folks!  :)

Louise - I too am looking forward to some intense "fancy" chapters!  :P

Leslie - I agree with Bob!  We got a good thing happenin' here, and we sure as heck don't need to prove it to anyone.  It's a sweet life with E&E, thank you Louise!  :-*

Hi Lucise.  I think that after all the "excitement" for want of a better word of the past few days, "our boys" could do with a LOT of fancy. ;) ;) ;) I,ts been like Starsky and Hutch in Laramie these past few days. ;) ;)
Always and forever. J&E.xx