Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3160047 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #2460 on: August 01, 2006, 10:09:26 am »
Sure am, gate A17. I am also hanging out in chat, where are you?

I am desperately trying to make something that is now ONCE AGAIN BROKEN - work!!!! egad!  ok I am on my way over.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2461 on: August 01, 2006, 11:01:07 am »
That was just an AMAZING moment...

I don't know why, the first great moment that comes to mind, for me, is in the first book, when Ellery hurts his back falling down, Ennis has a melt-down about Jack, and Ellery asking Ennis if he really intends to go back to Riverton, because if he is "he might as well put the food down and start with the throwing - up..". Ellery's pain at that moment just broke my heart.

But I guess you meant Happy top-ten moments  ;)

There are so many, but how about when Ellery tells Ennis he thinks they are falling in love (awww... ), also, Junior catching them on the patio.

And, of course, any Ellery - on -top scene  is a top -ten moment in MY book  ;D

This may not be a romantic moment, but it's one of the best lines Louise has written, IMO:

Ellery commented that it seemed apt, since he had much to learn about how crazy men behaved, that he should study more films about psychos, but Ennis suspected the real reason was that Ellery wanted Ennis’s opinion on Tony Perkins. “He’s queer, ya know,” Ellery commented obliquely.

“How’d you know that? Jes intuition?”

“Nope... one a the beat officers was a body guard for em in Los Angeles when he was makin a film and he’d order up boys for rent when he was at the hotel, an some of em were real young. Now, if the only kinda queer ya ever see is that kind, rentin teenage boys for fun, course ya gonna get a bad opinion. But hetrosexual men do the same damn shit, with even younger girls, so queer men aren’t any more evil as a rule, that’s how I look at it.”
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2462 on: August 01, 2006, 11:29:05 am »
Hello folks!  ;)

Leslie - have a safe trip!   :)

What are we discussing? Hottest E&E scenes?  Man..where do I begin?  ;)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2463 on: August 01, 2006, 11:30:56 am »
Top Ten Moments.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2464 on: August 01, 2006, 11:56:35 am »
Top Ten Moments.

These are some of my best moments:

1. “You can do it hard, just... don’t do it dry,” Ellery said, his voice husky with lust, and stepped out of his pants, then backed up, turned, and knelt on the bed.

2. “Like bein teenagers,” Ellery said, watching him. “Get it on like mad an an hour later feel like doin it all again.”

Ennis nodded. “Yeah. Wonder why that is.”

“Well I can think a why, but ya might not like my theory.”

Ennis set down his pizza. “Shoot.”

Ellery plucked a pepperoni off the top of his piece and chewed on it thoughtfully. “We’re fallin in love.”

3. “You don’t… ya don’t have ta fuck me every day for me ta stay. Yer wearin yerself out. You got work ta do.”

Ellery didn’t answer. Ennis took a deep breath, let it out. He knew that there was only one thing to say, and that it must be said.

“I’ll love ya anyway.” His eyes seemed to sting and blur, and he felt the wide, slate grey gaze settle on him, a hand move up to his naked chest, stroking it, and he shivered deeply.

“Thank you, Ennis.”

Choking back a sob, Ennis leaned down, taking the hand that rested against his chest, caressing it between his fingers even as he continued to rub the hot, tense muscles of his back, and kissed him, eyes closed, tenderly, his lips soft against the open lips of his lover, parting softly to whisper against them… “I do…love you.” And he felt the surge of emotion in the body beneath him as the lips brushing his responded, perhaps more softly,

“And I love you, too, sweetheart.”

4. “I am gonna tell ya, that’s yer man. Because he was. An you wouldn’t be feelin guilty if you didn’t love em. I don’t remember anythin in the definition of love that said you was supposed ta be perfect an not be jealous or possessive or selfish or make mistakes. You told me you knew him twenty years. You think I believe in twenty years you two never went at it? How could ya not? How could ya live like that, an not go off on each other, not get pissed enough ta tear each other’s eyes out? How would that be possible?”

5. You know you were so hell bent on my not stickin my neck out lookin for this guy an puttin myself in danger, did it ever occur to you it went the other way too?”

Ennis dropped his eyes, looking at his hands. “Well yeah... but not till after.”

“Didn’t Edna tell ya ta stay in the house? We coulda got the guy Ennis. He was careless an he was comin after us, we coulda got em without you goin out an gettin in the line a fire.” His voice was tight, a voice Ennis had never heard before, and his eyes stung as Ellery let loose on him.

“I’m sorry, Ellery.”

“I can just see all this. A shoot out in a bar when I go ta try to arrest the guy. I’ve got a gun, a vest, a warrant, an you yellin at me because I coulda got killed. I listened ta you, Ennis. I heard ya when you said you couldn’t go through this because a losin Jack.”

“Ellery...”

“But I don’t think you were listenin.” He sat up, his eyes wide, tears wet on his face. “You coulda died today, Ennis. You probably woulda died today, but fate had other ideas. Now I got ta live with that. I love you, Ennis. An my heart aches because a this now.”

“Please, Ellery, I’m sorry...” Ennis said, kneeling on the bed, pulling him into his arms in a tight embrace. “It was... stupid.”

“It was stupid, sweetheart. I ... I can’t stand ta lose you either ya know.”

“I know. I just couldn’t stand the idea a that guy shootin at us.”

Ellery drew back. “Neither could I, but ya handle that a certain way Ennis!”

“I know... but, I saw red.”

“When you see red next time maybe ya can just stop..” Ellery’s voice broke into a sob.

6. “C’mere, sweetie,” he held out his arms, and Ennis rose, shuffling over to the sofa. Ellery opened his knees and reached up, pulling Ennis down into a kneeling position between his thighs, his hands sliding up to smooth back Ennis’s hair and then rest on his shoulders. “I love you, Ennis. I want ta kiss you an hold you an never ever let go.”

“That was a fuckin scary thing down there,” Ennis said, his voice rasping.

“I know. I hate it that you were in danger like that.”

“Both of us,” Ennis said, resting his cheek on Ellery’s shoulder. Ellery leaned back, and Ennis moved against him, bringing his feet down onto the floor and slipping his hands around Ellery’s back, clinching him into a close embrace. Ellery tugged on him and lay down on the sofa, Ennis moving on top of him, his mouth seeking Ellery’s mouth, closing on it in a passionate kiss.

“Oh sweetheart,” Ellery whispered against his mouth, his body now completely covered by Ennis’s, their thighs tangled together, Ennis’s arms around his back, holding him close.

“Mmmm...” Ennis replied, his tongue snaking out of his mouth and flicking between Ellery’s lips, passion sparked by insecurity and anxiety, and the muzzy stimulation of scotch and tobacco.

They kissed, the only sounds in the room the rustle of denim against Ellery’s sheer cotton dress uniform, his empty holster slipping off his shoulder as they moved together in a slow grind of rising passion, the wet sound of their mouths as they tasted each other, hungry for intimacy, and small moans mingling together as they aroused, gradually but steadily.

“Ya want ta go ta bed now?” Ellery eventually managed to gasp when they came up for air.

“Yeah.”

“Want ta sleep?”

“Nope.”

7. Ellery stood up, then stepped close, slipping his long fingers along Ennis’s jaw, tilting his face up, then leaned close, brushing his lips against Ennis’s mouth, kissing him softly. “It’s gonna be okay Ennis. I love you.”
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 12:06:08 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2465 on: August 01, 2006, 12:25:04 pm »
And who can forget the "coital embrace" from "A Second Chance", chapter 44:

“Turn ta me, kiss me darlin...” Ennis said, voice husky as he whispered into his hair, and Ellery turned his head, Ennis fastening his mouth once more on his full lips, tongue brushing his tongue, rolling his hips up and thrusting in, keeping his mouth firmly fastened on Ellery’s, his tongue inside it, a position only possible due to the narrow circumference of Ellery’s torso and Ennis’s long, flexible body.  He deepened the kiss, his hips now thrusting deeply and regularly, his arm holding his lover firmly against him in an intimate coital embrace.  They held it for long minutes, before the increasing tension inside Ellery’s bowels gripped Ennis’s shaft, signalling an ascent to orgasm, and he pulled his left arm back, pressing his hand down on the bed as he positioned himself for full, deep thrusts, his moans low pitched but rising in volume as his excitement overtook him, right hand clenching down on Ellery’s hip as he buried his cock and erupted, clenching his teeth on his shoulder and nipping hard with a savage growl of pleasure, the bite sending a second deep shudder through them both as Ellery’s sphincter spasmed hard from the bolt of erotic pain, and he cried out with sudden joyful release.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2466 on: August 01, 2006, 12:33:51 pm »
Update to "Shelter From the Storm"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/85840.html  "Chapter 41:  Another Lost Weekend"

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #2467 on: August 01, 2006, 12:58:32 pm »

I believe that it's possible, if every fan of the Laramie Saga wrote down their favorite moments, we would the entire Saga duplicated by the favorites. It seems that there is not a single wasted word.

Of course I do have my own favorites, and for me this is a repost:

from A Second Chance chapter 22

“I think of us as partners, Ennis. An partners is… partners. I ain’t got nobody but you, an I want ta share my life with you, an that means sharin what I got.”

from A Second Chance chapter 68

“You are one fiercely possessive man, Ennis. I think I like it.”

“Ya do?”

Ellery put the palm of his hand on Ennis’ sweaty chest. “I ain’t never felt like this about anyone, sweetheart. I want... I want us ta be together like this, like partners. Like... a real married couple.”

“Yeah, ya mentioned....” Ennis replied, the color on his face deepening.

“What a you think about that?”

“I think.... I think I want it too.”

“I love you, Ennis, I love ya like life itself.” Ellery’s grey eyes swam with tears. Ennis leaned in and pressed his lips against his.

“I love ya too darlin. Like life itself.”

from A Second Chance chapter 78

“He lost out when he left you all that long ago. Yer mine now.”

Ellery smiled. “I like bein yers, ya know that?”

“That makes two of us. C’mere.”

from A Second Chance chapter 79

“We need a drink.”

“An a smoke. You stay there.”

Ennis padded out to the front room, returning with the cigars and the bottle of Glenfiddich and a single glass.

“One glass?”

“We’re celebratin,” Ennis said.

“What are we celebratin?”

“You an me, boy. Ennis an Ellery.” He lighted the cigar, puffed on it, and leaned over, offering it to Ellery, who took it between his lips. Then he poured a shot of scotch and lifted it. “To us. You belongin ta me, an me belongin ta you.” He took a sip, and handed it to Ellery, who took a sip from it as he handed the cigar back.

“To me belongin ta you, an you belongin ta me,” he repeated, gulping down the fiery liquid, handing the cigar back to Ennis, who took a puff on it.

Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2468 on: August 01, 2006, 01:45:05 pm »
Fred,  you got to me with your quotes.  I am with you one hundred percent.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2469 on: August 01, 2006, 02:38:51 pm »
Update to "Shelter From the Storm"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/86225.html  "Chapter 42:  Trouble in High Places"