Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3160076 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #2210 on: July 26, 2006, 10:04:31 am »
Stats Update:

We are very firmly ensconsed in no. 2 position on "Most Views" and will probably be there forever unlessl the "ABC Players" decide that game is really dumb and totally abandon it. Unlikely, I know.

We need 174 posts to pass "NC17" in most replies, which will put us in the no. 3 position for that statstic. Four days, I estimate...get posting, people!

Leslie
StatsChick
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2211 on: July 26, 2006, 10:08:02 am »
there, I fixed it so you could have KY as post 2200.  Happy?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline gn411

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2212 on: July 26, 2006, 10:19:48 am »
Louise,  Doe Ellery still have the socks Ennis left for him in book 1 when Ennis went to BBM?

Current Story,  Noticed that Ellery is slowly getting his house renovated, bit by bit,
1st new front window, now back door, some walls and there needs to be a paint job.
What next? 

What could happen to our guys next?  Junior or Sister dropping in for a visit?

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2213 on: July 26, 2006, 10:21:54 am »
As far as I know, all of Ennis's socks are in the house.  The ones he left there from his first trip probably have been laundered since.

Who knows what's next:  stay tuned for the exciting new episode of CSI:  This Old House
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline gn411

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2214 on: July 26, 2006, 10:28:53 am »
AHH, I was hoping that there Ellery had a sentimental streak in him.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #2215 on: July 26, 2006, 10:30:35 am »
We need 174 posts to pass "NC17" in most replies, which will put us in the no. 3 position for that statstic. Four days, I estimate...get posting, people!

Leslie
StatsChick

done!
btw I loved your new chapter Leslie!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2216 on: July 26, 2006, 10:31:09 am »
Update to "Shelter From the Storm"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/81484.html  "Chapter 24:  Eyewitness Information

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #2217 on: July 26, 2006, 10:39:39 am »
I wanted to share a response I made elsewhere in a discussion of the phenomenon of the OTP "One True Pairing" in Brokeback fan fiction, which of course, refers to Ennis and Jack.  Someone made a comment about how personal experience plays a role in one's fan fic preferences, and here is what I responded:

You point out a very important thing, and that is, everyone has brought to Brokeback Mountain, the story and the film, their own lives, loves and heartbreaks, and to them, the loss of Jack means something individual, something personal, something undeniably real and universal and yet quite private and undoubtedly emotional.  To many, and I would have to say from the experiences of reading the fan fics and comments here, most here, au fictions that complete the story with Jack alive - provide them with the solace and comfort they need.  For others, they are comforted by a future with Ennis alone, sad, and struggling, remembering Jack.  And for a third and no less important group (not to say there aren't others, just my observation) there are those who enjoy reading a story about Ennis facing a brighter future, that offers both healing and love.  All of these are different ways to deal with our experiences of Brokeback.  I maintain there is room for all of those folks and all of their preferences. 

For the fics I wrote, I drew on the experience of a close friend who lost his childhood sweetheart to sudden death by cancer, and was so swallowed by the intense grief that he teetered on the edge of suicide long afterward, convinced he would not want to live without his dead mate.  And one day, a man who had been a client and friend, reached out to him, and a new love was born on the ashes of his grief.  He struggled with the guilt and his own mourning, but over time his relief was palpable, and necessary. As his relationship grew, he realized that his new love was a tribute to the first, a continuation of it -- because he had a need to continue giving that love to a living person, as an expression of his love for the one he could no longer hold.  This is a very real phenomenon for some (perhaps not you, perhaps not many), but for those who must go on and love again - it rings true.  I say, to each his own.

I will add for the benefit of readers here: What is necessary for one to move on and love again, is the belief, rooted in the original love relationship, that the lost loved one would want good for the survivor, to encourage him to move on, to love again, and to be happy.  And  this belief is purely a function of the type of relationship the two lovers had before death intervened.

I thought this quote from another poster on this forum would add an appropriate postscript to Louise's response. For full quote see http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=633.0

Another scenario might preserve the fact that Jack dies, and Ennis is left bereft of his dear friend. But with the passage of time, as he goes on roundup, sits in the bar, or goes to the store or laundry, he notices some glimmer of Jack's familiar beauty in the faces of other men, some spark of that zestful, boyish charm in the lilt of their voices and laughter. He is at first torn, because he loves Jack so much and feels undying loyalty to his memory. But those occasional smiles from Steve or the gratifying sense of warmth from Karl's handshake awaken some primal need within Ennis's heart, that rises to his consciousness and which he finds more and more difficult to ignore.

Ennis slowly begins to realize that Jack is not only a living presence in his heart, but a living spiritual force in the world around him. Some precious essence of Jack is still to be felt--in the very people that remain tangible to Ennis! He may not overcome the fear that impedes his asking Steve over for a beer, but he cherishes more and more the fact that he desires to do so. He still tends Jack's shirt lovingly, and knows that he will always love that bright, blue boy who melted his heart on Brokeback Mountain. But he is also quietly gladdened that his heart is receptive now, not only to one beautiful soul, but to a whole multitude of souls who are equally his brothers in spirit. Ennis loves...and he weeps to himself in humble, private gratitude.

“In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being.” Albert Schweitzer

"When you realize the difference between the container and the content, you will have knowledge." Idries Shah
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #2218 on: July 26, 2006, 10:46:05 am »
*spoiler*

So sevigny turns out to be not more than a bit of a fool. Good. Nice to see Joe cool the situation down.

and again two great final lines:
“You are one horny sumbitch, Ellery.”

“Only when I’m in love, Ennis.”

Hahaha, i love this, thanks Louise
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2219 on: July 26, 2006, 10:46:57 am »
there, I fixed it so you could have KY as post 2200.  Happy?

Yes.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!