Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3159883 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #2140 on: July 25, 2006, 03:42:44 am »
I think Ennis wants to restrict Ellery-viewing from the public eye...!

I hope you all enjoyed our episodes of CSI:Laramie, but I think we'll have to get back to the romance and fancy part soon.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2141 on: July 25, 2006, 03:53:26 am »
I hope you all enjoyed our episodes of CSI:Laramie, but I think we'll have to get back to the romance and fancy part soon.

Louise, it sure looks like Beefy!Ennis needs the "getting fancy" bit rather urgently ...  :P

Hehe..a great way for me to call it a night!
See y'all in a coupla hours..!  ;)

Offline RonitR

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2142 on: July 25, 2006, 04:26:33 am »
I am worried about what Jim Allen wife told Dupree:

“Pictures a somebody important that was gonna cause some sort a political scandal.”

AND Jim was working at the Red Stallion. Who do we know who's "important" that goes there except Ellery?

"Outing " Ellery to the press, as a gay man & gay-bar owner, could seriously jeopardize his position at the Sheriff's office, might even jeopardize his job.
(can't see how it would help Worrell's case any..)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2143 on: July 25, 2006, 04:28:35 am »
I wanted to share a response I made elsewhere in a discussion of the phenomenon of the OTP "One True Pairing" in Brokeback fan fiction, which of course, refers to Ennis and Jack.  Someone made a comment about how personal experience plays a role in one's fan fic preferences, and here is what I responded:

You point out a very important thing, and that is, everyone has brought to Brokeback Mountain, the story and the film, their own lives, loves and heartbreaks, and to them, the loss of Jack means something individual, something personal, something undeniably real and universal and yet quite private and undoubtedly emotional.  To many, and I would have to say from the experiences of reading the fan fics and comments here, most here, au fictions that complete the story with Jack alive - provide them with the solace and comfort they need.  For others, they are comforted by a future with Ennis alone, sad, and struggling, remembering Jack.  And for a third and no less important group (not to say there aren't others, just my observation) there are those who enjoy reading a story about Ennis facing a brighter future, that offers both healing and love.  All of these are different ways to deal with our experiences of Brokeback.  I maintain there is room for all of those folks and all of their preferences. 

For the fics I wrote, I drew on the experience of a close friend who lost his childhood sweetheart to sudden death by cancer, and was so swallowed by the intense grief that he teetered on the edge of suicide long afterward, convinced he would not want to live without his dead mate.  And one day, a man who had been a client and friend, reached out to him, and a new love was born on the ashes of his grief.  He struggled with the guilt and his own mourning, but over time his relief was palpable, and necessary. As his relationship grew, he realized that his new love was a tribute to the first, a continuation of it -- because he had a need to continue giving that love to a living person, as an expression of his love for the one he could no longer hold.  This is a very real phenomenon for some (perhaps not you, perhaps not many), but for those who must go on and love again - it rings true.  I say, to each his own.

I will add for the benefit of readers here: What is necessary for one to move on and love again, is the belief, rooted in the original love relationship, that the lost loved one would want good for the survivor, to encourage him to move on, to love again, and to be happy.  And  this belief is purely a function of the type of relationship the two lovers had before death intervened.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 04:32:29 am by louisev »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2144 on: July 25, 2006, 05:11:42 am »
I think Ennis wants to restrict Ellery-viewing from the public eye...!

CSI: Laramie! LOL, that one was good Louise.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline David

« Reply #2145 on: July 25, 2006, 06:44:52 am »
Sorry about that, technical difficulties ya know.  Here is that pic again of E&E "Off Duty"   LOL

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2146 on: July 25, 2006, 06:49:41 am »
I am thinking about Ellery and his preferences at home...to submit a bit after dealing with blowhards all day, as he would say. He's been dealing with blowhards for days on end, no time for "a taste a the dominant" at home, and now he has the afternoon off...

We know that Ennis has a great capacity to heal quickly...really, really quickly. Remember when he got spooked by the bear and thrown from his horse? That huge gash on his face which healed in a matter of days, without antibiotics or sterile dressings, and left no visible scar? Let's hope that that extraordinary healing power comes into play again. I need me some gettin' fancy!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

« Reply #2147 on: July 25, 2006, 06:54:45 am »
I need me some gettin' fancy!
L

LOL,   Trust me, that photo I posted above is the ONLY one from that photo set I could post without violating the forum rules!     ;D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2148 on: July 25, 2006, 06:59:15 am »
David is off to register his new car today. I designed a license plate for him...this one is really available. Too bad he doesn't live in Maine!

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2149 on: July 25, 2006, 07:07:36 am »
I may need to re-register my car!