Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3185007 times)

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #8460 on: December 07, 2006, 03:58:24 am »
Chapter 14 is on of my favorites....Ennis and Ellery have brunch at the High Plains Diner, preceded by Ellery buying "a baffling collection" of snack foods. The  whole conversation over their Texas omlettes is classic. Ellery is turning on the charm, Ennis confused, trying to figure out what is going on. Ellery is paying attention to Ennis, complimenting him, noticing he is quiet. Right here, this chapter, is where it all begins...

L

Yeah what is that baffling collection of snacks.? Maybe that's what he subsisted on before Ennis' home cooking.
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline richardg49

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • 'Keep on trucking'
« Reply #8461 on: December 07, 2006, 04:00:07 am »
Sorry if I'm getting in ahead of the rest of you, but where I live (downunder) it will soon be bedtime for me. I've discovered that when I log in again in the morning that all the discussion has been had, all the interesting quotes have been found, and all the insightful commentary has been made. So I'll get in early for the discussions of 16 - 20 with this from ch. 19:

“Hey. Ellery. We got a situation downstairs. It’s Wilson and he showed up and he’s drunk and he’s mad. Bill has got him at the bar but things are getting ugly.” The blond youth was shaking.

“Did he show a gun?”

“Don’t know, don’t think so Ellery.” Gene’s face was white with tension.

Ellery turned and gave Ennis a long look, and then took out his gun, checking it as he did. “Ennis can you keep Pete up here outta trouble?”

Ennis nodded, a lump rising in his throat. He was genuinely fearful for Ellery. The deputy paused and glanced over his shoulder at Gene. "Go down and tell Bill I’ll be right down, but make sure Wilson don’t hear ya.”

“Sure enough.” The blond head disappeared as he clattered back down the way he came. Pete sat, inert as a stone, staring at nothing, but Ennis wasn’t paying attention to Pete at the moment. His eyes filled with sudden moisture, tears welling up.

“Ennis,” Ellery said, his voice pitched low.

“Uh, yeah, I’ll look after Pete.”

“Ennis.” He took a step toward Ennis, reholstering his gun and holding out a hand, grasping his elbow.

“I said okay.”

“You gonna be all right?”

Ennis looked at Ellery searchingly, then, his chest tight with an unspeakable, horrible pain. “Jes – be careful. I don’t want nothin to happen to ya.”

Ellery smiled, a hint of that mischief returning. “Don’t worry, we got a getaway car, remember?”

Is this the moment we know for sure that Ennis cares about Ellery far more than 'just friends' would imply? The situation parallels a very similar situation much later in the second book when Ellery is about to set out to Texas to find Jack's killer, and Ennis is similarly fearful for Ellery and virtually tells him not to go because he couldn't bear the fact of Ellery getting killed, and he again would lose the man he loves.

I also like the sensitivity that Ellery shows at this moment, aware that Ennis is worried about what could happen to him, and taking the trouble to reassure him. Characteristically, he does it with an offhand quip about 'a getaway car'. Note also the use of 'we' in that line, reinforcing the idea that they are partners in this tense situation.
I gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?” LVH: 'What I did on my Day Off'

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #8462 on: December 07, 2006, 04:39:29 am »
Wasn't about now that Ellery said he'd never been shot, that his body was in perfect condition and he intended to keep it that way cos he had plans for it.

Perfect condition?!!!!
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline richardg49

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • 'Keep on trucking'
« Reply #8463 on: December 07, 2006, 04:56:33 am »
Wasn't about now that Ellery said he'd never been shot, that his body was in perfect condition and he intended to keep it that way cos he had plans for it.

Perfect condition?!!!!

Yes, I enjoyed, while doing this re-reading, recognising all the ironies and secondary meanings that there are in the writing. 'I have plans for it' was another of those, deliberately designed to embarass Ennis and make him blush. Its clever, too that Ellery's back problem, which is going to feature so prominently in the later stories (especially as something that frequently gets in the way of them 'getting fancy'), is here the device which first allows Ennis to touch Ellery in an intimate way and prompts his 'I do want it' declaration. (Am I getting too far ahead in the chapters?)
I gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?” LVH: 'What I did on my Day Off'

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #8464 on: December 07, 2006, 05:38:43 am »
Well, Jo, his comment about "perfect condition" was definitely an innuendo!

And don't worry about "getting ahead", it is a reread, after all.  Some rereaders have admitted that now that they have started again they have just kept on going!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8465 on: December 07, 2006, 06:00:23 am »
I am borrowing this from the other thread, courtesy of Natali...

Ah, God, what a man, both in real life and as Ellery....

L
              that is my favorite ellery picture...he looks perfect in that one...manly, sweet and thoughtful.. great picture...leslie,,

Beautiful mind

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #8466 on: December 07, 2006, 06:35:51 am »
              that is my favorite ellery picture...he looks perfect in that one...manly, sweet and thoughtful.. great picture...leslie,,

It's one of my fav's too ~ the expression on his face is just delightful

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8467 on: December 07, 2006, 07:13:29 am »
Yeah what is that baffling collection of snacks.? Maybe that's what he subsisted on before Ennis' home cooking.

I think you are right, Jo. Plus it comes up later, when Ennis first goes to the house, how clean the kitchen is.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8468 on: December 07, 2006, 07:18:25 am »
For the re-readers, today's assignment, chapters 16 to 20.

Chapter 16 begins here:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/6535.html

In Chapter 16, we meet Officer Reynolds for the first time:

...he took a sudden U-turn in the roadway and reversed direction, which caused Ennis to gasp. “We check out the bar – oh kiss my ass,” he interrupted himself and pulled the car over to the curb as a black and white Sheriff’s department cruiser turned its lights on and pulled up behind them.

An unfamiliar looking officer came up to the driver’s door. “Sir, license an registration please.”

Ellery pulled out his badge and slapped it open. “Cantrell, deputy sheriff, Albany county. Don’t you guys have the numbers a these unmarkeds?”

“Sir, with all due respect, you just pulled an illegal u turn in the middle a Center Street.”

“Sir, with all due respect I am on official business and you is delayin me.” The uniform stepped back slightly and then peered at the rank on his identification.

“Now may I go?”

“I am gonna need to cite you sir,” the uniform said stubbornly. Ellery banged his open hand on the steering wheel.

“Well then go ahead and fuckin cite me, Officer… Reynolds is it? Goddammitall to hell, and make sure ta take my badge number down proper. And make sure on the citation you write “Swore a blue streak and used the name a the Lord in vain too. That will get me another two years up at Jackson.” Ellery leaned forward toward the officer, his eyes glittering malevolently. “Maybe even in solitary, whaddaya think?”

The officer turned as bright red as Ennis had a few minutes before, and Ennis turned his eyes away, embarrassed for him. He would never want to be on the receiving end of one of Ellery’s tirades. His hand trembled on his ticket book and he filled it out rapidly, and when he handed the ticket over it was shaking like a leaf in a high wind. Ellery snatched it from him. “You – have a good day sir, deputy Cantrell…” the man whimpered, and Ellery made a derisive snort.

“And you too. Make sure ta rescue two calico cats and help a little ol’ lady cross the street before clockin out Reynolds. Get the full PO-lice experience.” Ellery rolled his window up and gunned the engine, then – with an apologetic glance at Ennis, took off at a smooth, even pace.

“Boys! Citin a deputy sheriff in an unmarked car. Never happen in my day.”

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #8469 on: December 07, 2006, 07:52:17 am »

“Well then go ahead and fuckin cite me, Officer… Reynolds is it? Goddammitall to hell, and make sure ta take my badge number down proper. And make sure on the citation you write “Swore a blue streak and used the name a the Lord in vain too. That will get me another two years up at Jackson.” Ellery leaned forward toward the officer, his eyes glittering malevolently. “Maybe even in solitary, whaddaya think?”

Leslie

This is absolutely hilarious!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'