Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3185412 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #8510 on: December 08, 2006, 01:39:31 pm »
Time for some Jakey and Hughdity goodness  ;D  :D

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #8511 on: December 08, 2006, 01:40:40 pm »
And some chest!  :P

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8512 on: December 08, 2006, 02:20:08 pm »

natalie thats beautiful..where do you come up with these pictures...do you have a private photog on retainer?   you end up with
some that arent seen anywhere else.    thanks for those...                                                                                    janice

Beautiful mind

Offline opinionista

« Reply #8513 on: December 08, 2006, 02:22:26 pm »

natalie thats beautiful..where do you come up with these pictures...do you have a private photog on retainer?   you end up with
some that arent seen anywhere else.    thanks for those...                                                                                    janice

The pic of Jake I got it from People Magazine and Hugh's I usually get them from Jackman's Landing, a fan site of Hugh.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8514 on: December 08, 2006, 02:22:50 pm »

for those ellery and ennis fans, be sure to check out the latest chapter of jeremys choice, its the boys all over again...

ennis still has the legbone in his ear in this time period....                                   good stuff

Beautiful mind

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #8515 on: December 09, 2006, 06:41:50 am »
Well folks, it's Saturday, and beating Leslie to the punch (for once), the Rereading club is finally at "Getting Fancy"!  One of the more familiar expressions in the Saga:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/8985.html  Chapter 26:  Getting Fancy

the infamous "bone shuddering thrust" of their frantic, drunken coupling which inaugurated their sexual relationship under the influence of Glenfiddle:

Ennis took a deep breath, his mind clouded with smoke, scotch, laughter and the hot brand of memory... the memory of endless bouts of hard, rough sex on the open mountainside, in cold, leaky tents, in sour, sweat soaked bedrolls, and bent over Ellery’s back then straightened up, plunging in with a bone shuddering thrust, and a cry came from one of them – he did not know which, but it did not stop him, but merely spurred him on, to the breathtaking conclusion, the race to conquer the need that could not be quenched, his fingers closing on the prominent hipbones – he knew, this was not Jack, but it didn’t have to be right now, it was enough that he knew Jack loved him... that he mattered, that he was all right, and whatever he did, seemed all right, at this moment.  The cigar smoldered in the ashtray and went out, forgotten in their sweaty striving, short grunts giving way to deeper, more passionate moans, and sweat coursed off Ennis’s chest, dripping down onto Ellery’s back as he finally released with a short, sharp cry, erupting suddenly and pulling back as though shocked, teetering and half falling onto the bed, trapping Ellery’s legs beneath one outstretched thigh.  Moments later, Ellery stretched out next to him, and peeked out from under a shock of black hair at Ennis, eyes wet, half closed.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #8516 on: December 09, 2006, 06:45:18 am »
and another Ellery rant-at-Bill in chapter 27, the morning after the night before, sets the tone for Bill's later jealous approaches when he realizes Ellery has a new man:

As Ennis found his way to the kitchen, the phone rang, and heard Ellery groan. "Goddamn fuckin Bill," he said loudly, and after three rings he picked up on the extension in the bedroom. "What now, you bleedin? Yes I told ya I was comin over today. Fuck Bill - it's... it's 7 o'clock and no I ain't eatin breakfast with ya. We ain't a couple no more, goddammit!" A pause. Ennis opened the fridge and got out milk and eggs, found a loaf of white bread and put two slices in the toaster as he rummaged through the cabinet for a fry pan. The kitchen was spare but well organized, all the dishes neatly put away, and an automatic coffee maker already filled, on the counter. He checked the water level and turned it on, its gurgle obscuring part of what Ellery was saying, but not all.

"Well get over yer little girl hissy fit. If I kin sit in yer kitchen waitin on you while you're slidin your dick down Gene's throat, you can damn well wipe outta yer mind what I do on Friday night across town, Bill. Grow up will ya? Just for a few hours." Another pause. "No its gonna be a while because I can't fuckin move right now because I'm fuckin crippled like I usually am after I sleep wrong, now fuck off Bill, please, for at least a few hours."
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 06:48:04 am by louisev »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8517 on: December 09, 2006, 09:31:19 am »
Interesting insight by Ennis, into Ellery's personality. From Chapter 28:

“Then let’s have some breakfast an more coffee and cartoons. Maybe I can rub yer back if that helps atall.”

“Leave the brace on a while till the percodans kick in and maybe after. It won’t be so hard goin then. Sorry bout that. I had this big plan a wakin you up givin you the blowjob of yer life and here I can’t even touch my toes.”

Ennis dropped his fork.

“Sorry. But it’s true, I’m a horny sumbitch once I got a taste.”

“Well, me too.” He shifted in his seat, uncomfortable with the sudden fierce erection that had been awakened by Ellery’s casual mention of a blowjob. One thing he and Jack did little of over the years was to talk about sex. But Ellery was another matter. He seemed to need to talk, to apologize for his limitations, as a sort of reassurance to Ennis. Maybe this was part of his intolerance for talkative people. He himself had a need to talk, and needed a good listener to absorb all of what pressed upon him to express.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8518 on: December 09, 2006, 09:41:06 am »
From Chapter 30:

Ellery looked up, slate eyes drilling into Bill’s miserable ones. “Took a few licks from a baseball bat, Bill. How’d you like a few licks from a baseball bat, eh Bill?”

“El, please...” Bill moaned, as if pleading to be put out of his misery.

Ellery leaned back over the bar as though to take another run at Bill. “I about had enough a you. Now we’re gonna go upstairs, and get Ennis’s stuff, an I’m goin back home and soak in a tub, and if that phone rings it better be you tellin me about your plan on how you are gonna make this up to me. Because I am so pissed right now I could take out a few a your teeth one by one ... right in front a yer useless piece of ass boyfriend!”

Ellery turned then, and stalked at his usual speed out of the bar and up the stairs to the apartment. Ennis followed in his wake, trying not to look at Bill’s misery-filled face, which by the time Ellery had finished, was streaked with tears.

Leslie

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8519 on: December 09, 2006, 03:45:31 pm »
Ellery really does have a way with words, doesn't he?  The quick wit, the sharp retorts - it's fascinating just listening to him talk!  Of course, I guess it's only fascinating if you're not on the receiving end of it !  ;D   

Great quotes!

Thanks - Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain