Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3154245 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #9420 on: June 13, 2007, 08:57:13 pm »
And we have reached a very, very historic milestone.

When I discovered "Taking Chances" back in May, 2006, I did a marathon read and at the end of my marathon (I really can't recall how many hours it was...8 maybe?) I was at Chapter 74. Chapter 74 is one of my most favorite chapters of all, with lines like this...

Colson picked up a slice of pizza, steam rising from it as he tried to bite off a piece without burning himself. Ellery waited, watching him.

“Like bein teenagers,” Ellery said, watching him. “Get it on like mad an an hour later feel like doin it all again.”

Colson nodded. “Yeah. Wonder why that is.”

“Well I can think a why, but ya might not like my theory.”

Colson set down his pizza. “Shoot.”

Ellery plucked a pepperoni off the top of his piece and chewed on it thoughtfully. “We’re fallin in love.”

Colson dropped his gaze, staring fixedly at his piece of pizza as though trying to figure out who took a bite out of it.

“Told ya ya might not like my theory.”

“Ellery...” Colson said, his voice low.

“Whassat?” Ellery waited, watching the bowed head.

“I don’t know what ta say....” Colson sighed.

“Don’t tell me this hadn’t occurred to ya, sweetheart. You was with a man fer twenty years. You know how this goes. Bettern I do.”

Yes...so good, so good.

Chapter 74. Already Missing You

http://louisev.livejournal.com/21400.html

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9421 on: June 13, 2007, 09:28:59 pm »
Another good chapter!

Chapter 75. Home to Roost

http://louisev.livejournal.com/21559.html

Enjoy!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #9422 on: June 14, 2007, 08:28:16 pm »
And we have reached a very, very historic milestone.

When I discovered "Taking Chances" back in May, 2006, I did a marathon read and at the end of my marathon (I really can't recall how many hours it was...8 maybe?) I was at Chapter 74. Chapter 74 is one of my most favorite chapters of all, with lines like this... . . .

That really is a milestone, Leslie!  I remember my own marathon reads when I first discovered "Taking Chances" - couldn't stop, couldn't get enough - and the feeling hasn't changed!   :)

“We’re fallin in love.”

Ahhh.....  a very special chapter, indeed. 

Another good chapter!

Chapter 75. Home to Roost 

I remember being so worried for Ellery, and so angry, once again, at Bill.  >:(

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #9423 on: June 15, 2007, 03:51:49 am »
well Marie you and all of the other readers, however silent they appear (they are still reading, I have proof!) will be happy since I have gotten some new ideas and Chesterfield is not half over yet and I plan to complete a number of other stories, along with attempting with Leslie to publish 'What I Did On My Day Off' commercially, in hopes of getting a commercial adult publication of 'Taking Chances' which is almost done with the Colson rewrites.

LEGAL NOTE: This story has no reference in it to "Brokeback Mountain" nor any copyrighted material by Simon and Schuster or written by Annie Proulx.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9424 on: June 15, 2007, 10:28:53 am »
Hello everyone,

Chapter 76. Looking for Evidence

http://louisev.livejournal.com/21989.html

Enjoy!

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9425 on: June 15, 2007, 10:35:25 am »
And another...

Chapter 77. The Tapes

http://louisev.livejournal.com/22078.html

Enjoy!

L

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #9426 on: June 15, 2007, 10:43:41 am »
*sigh*

I'm twenty chapters or so behind!  :-\

(well, that's because I just finished rereading A Second Chance..., so I'm not complaining  :))

I hope to catch up this weekend.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #9427 on: June 15, 2007, 12:58:02 pm »
well Marie you and all of the other readers, however silent they appear (they are still reading, I have proof!) will be happy since I have gotten some new ideas and Chesterfield is not half over yet and I plan to complete a number of other stories, along with attempting with Leslie to publish 'What I Did On My Day Off' commercially, in hopes of getting a commercial adult publication of 'Taking Chances' which is almost done with the Colson rewrites.

LEGAL NOTE: This story has no reference in it to "Brokeback Mountain" nor any copyrighted material by Simon and Schuster or written by Annie Proulx.

Yep, I'm happy!! :D  Great news all around! 

Great Ellery line from Chapter 76:

“Likin me is one thing. Treatin me with respect was somethin he never learned ta do Wayne.”

Yes, a very important distinction.

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9428 on: June 19, 2007, 07:58:15 am »
Chapter 78. Out of the Blue

http://louisev.livejournal.com/22722.html

Louise is in England, getting started at her new job, but still finding time for ranch stiffs like us! Enjoy, everyone...

Leslie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #9429 on: June 19, 2007, 02:56:11 pm »
Chapter 78. Out of the Blue

http://louisev.livejournal.com/22722.html

Louise is in England, getting started at her new job, but still finding time for ranch stiffs like us! Enjoy, everyone...

Leslie

LOL!  And we ranch stiffs sure do appreciate it, ma'am.   ;)  Hope everything is going well!

Have I mentioned lately that I love Wes? 

Wes smiled sweetly. “That’s why you got that raise. So my conscience will be completely clear when I call you up nights an burst in on you with emergency situations – oh wait, that’s what you just done ta me! The more fool me.” 

Good one, Wes!   ;D

Thanks,
Marie