Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2599649 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #3520 on: January 04, 2008, 12:29:24 pm »

Amen sista.........  but as you said...some things arent fun anymore if you have to do them..Compared
with how much joy you get out of doing them just because you love it.

Been There Done That....

Did you get my pm Lynne.......

Beautiful mind

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #3521 on: January 04, 2008, 12:35:29 pm »
Yeah, I may try and get something published one day, but if I had to write a collum for a newspaper on a dead line I dunno if I could cope.

Now as for paths not taken, I still would like to join the Peace Corps.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3522 on: January 04, 2008, 01:34:02 pm »
To me this speaks more to the nature of hell - being alienation from God and family - instead of the fundamentalist Christian idea of a burning hell - than it does to the nature of God.  Tell me more what you're thinking about...
Can I be a little bit creepy?    :-\

I think the notion of hell - fire and brimstone - emerged from the literal experience of seeing bodies decay.    :P  They seem to be burning with a fire from within, and they smell like brimstone -- sulfur, or actually hydrogen sulfide.

The ancient Hebrew word that we translate as Hell was Gehenna, which was just the name of the literal place outside of town where they dumped bodies.

So hell, fire, and brimstone is not a special condemnation. It's just what happens as bodies decay. People wanted to escape that by being granted eternal life. They sought lots of routes.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 07:28:56 pm by wdj »
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #3523 on: January 04, 2008, 07:04:57 pm »
Here is a photo of the actual location of Gehenna, the word that gets translated as "hell."

So this is the location - Gehenna - that they were talking about in the Bible when they said hell.

This chasm is what the word hell refers to. To go to hell means to be tossed into this gully.

Doesn't look all that bad ...    :-\

I'll move this over to the new Eschatology thread!!    :D

When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

injest

« Reply #3524 on: January 04, 2008, 07:49:23 pm »
Can I be a little bit creepy?    :-\

I think the notion of hell - fire and brimstone - emerged from the literal experience of seeing bodies decay.    :P  They seem to be burning with a fire from within, and they smell like brimstone -- sulfur, or actually hydrogen sulfide.

The ancient Hebrew word that we translate as Hell was Gehenna, which was just the name of the literal place outside of town where they dumped bodies.

So hell, fire, and brimstone is not a special condemnation. It's just what happens as bodies decay. People wanted to escape that by being granted eternal life. They sought lots of routes.

I love this:

« Last Edit: Today at 05:28:56 PM by wdj, Reason: changed Sheol to Gehenna »

Widgee...I am so proud to call  you friend...you are one of the smartest men I know..

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3525 on: January 04, 2008, 08:23:43 pm »
Here is a photo of the actual location of Gehenna, the word that gets translated as "hell."

So this is the location - Gehenna - that they were talking about in the Bible when they said hell.

This chasm is what the word hell refers to. To go to hell means to be tossed into this gully.

Doesn't look all that bad ...    :-\

I'll move this over to the new Eschatology thread!!    :D

Gee. And here all along I thought the actual location of Gehenna was the Department of Motor Vehicles. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #3526 on: January 05, 2008, 12:08:57 pm »

What I really remember was his Aunt, His Grandfather and the Rev. Karma at the Food Country buying a couple of cases of beer shouting "We're having a baby!"

Wow.

SO last night I get this email from Marty that Weston's grandfather died yesterday. A sad thing to loose such a good person and a colorful character, but not unexpected. He had been in really bad health for a while now.

The grandfather, Tedd Blevins, was a remarkable man. He was a painter, my Art History Teacher, a carouser, partier,  and all around good old hippy. I can remember sitting in class, the smoke from his cigarette being sucked in to the fan that cooled the slide projector. He lecturing about Fra Filipo Lippi and his son Filipino, and we would all be watchin' as the ash on the cigarette grew longer and longer and finally fell.

One of his students later opened an eatery in a nearby town and named a sandwich after him, it was balogne on white bread.

There are a million stories about this man, but my favorite I will share with you now. Warning: this does contain a reference to a socially unacceptable racial term.

Tedd had this girlfriend named Delores who lived in Rice Terrace, the housing project below the school, on Mary Street. One night she and Tedd were in bed doin' the wild thing when a fight broke out in the middle of said street between two gentlemen of African American heritage. I knew one of them, he was a local florist so I could guess what it was about.

Tedd, hopped out of bed, ran downstairs and out into the street nekkid as the day he was born, right up to them and hollered as loud as he could, shaking a finger: "Ya'll cut that out right now you going to give (plural of n-word) a bad name!".

Well, they of course turned to him with that look of WTF and there stood this scrawney assed, drunk, nekkid little white man with an erection who probably immediatly commenced to bum a cigarette. Fight was over, they were so disarmed there was no way they could resume it. Tedd the Peacemaker.

This is an example of his artwork:
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3527 on: January 05, 2008, 12:40:42 pm »
One of his students later opened an eatery in a nearby town and named a sandwich after him, it was balogne on white bread.

:laugh:  :laugh:

What a great story -- he needs to be one of those "my most unforgettable characters" that they have in Readers Digest.

Are you going to be able to attend his funeral? It should be quite memorable.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #3528 on: January 05, 2008, 12:44:05 pm »

I am so sorry Truman you have lost another friend.  He was obviously very talented...that is amazing.
I hate to hear when the good people go...It seems that the world has so few of them these days. 
We also lose the stories they could tell..That is the greatest tragedy of all...The common thread.
        That poor family sure has had a lot to deal with...my thoughts are with them also...

That just gave me a thought about a topic to put on my blog...

Beautiful mind

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #3529 on: January 05, 2008, 02:11:59 pm »
Sad to lose someone, but wonderful to now how much he positively impacted those around him.

Isn't the term of endearment "GRANDparent" simply lovely? Grand parent. A person who has grown into a grand position in family and community because of their time on earth and off spring. such a nice concept and those who know them are blessed.