Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3845950 times)

mvansand76

Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #4610 on: March 23, 2008, 06:23:51 am »
Somebody posted this pic on the inmemoryofheath livejournal community:

http://community.livejournal.com/inmemoryofheath/280973.html

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4611 on: March 23, 2008, 07:47:35 am »
As for the Jake issue: I don't think we'll ever find out what went on in Jake's mind, and that's OK.

The only really option we have is asking Lisa (bbmiswear) to ask Jake what is going on. She is going to meet Jake this month together with a friend! 

;) No, really, I wouldn't want to ask Jake that kind of question either when I met him. But God, isn't it great that she is going to meet him?  :D

What's the circumstance that she is getting to meet him? Did she win a celebrity auction or something?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

yb

« Reply #4612 on: March 23, 2008, 08:00:25 am »

Also, any luck on finding the whole Nick Drake video, anyone?

I have not seen it.  I think Australia's channel 9 has shown bits and pieces of the video but not the complete one when they were doing that notorious show insinuating Heath was suicidal.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4613 on: March 23, 2008, 08:10:47 am »
Hiya Heathens  :)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #4614 on: March 23, 2008, 11:49:11 am »
Somebody posted this pic on the inmemoryofheath livejournal community:

http://community.livejournal.com/inmemoryofheath/280973.html

Here's the photo, Mel.

yb

« Reply #4615 on: March 23, 2008, 12:52:41 pm »

Also, any luck on finding the whole Nick Drake video, anyone?

Clarissa

A Heathen from another forum found this video on youtube, here's the link:

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=sPKnGo_WOp4&NR=1

ETA:  A mistake on my part, looks like it is a tribute made by a fan to Heath and Nick Drake.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 09:03:13 pm by yb »

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #4616 on: March 23, 2008, 01:07:38 pm »
This is great.  HRC is huge - one of the biggest national GLBT rights organizations.  When you see those little square blue bumper stickers with the yellow equal sign... that's HRC.  They're a really impressive group because they've become so powerful... both in terms of private sector influence as well as political influence.  One of the things they're most famous for (on a general awareness level) is they put out a buyer's guide (for all sorts of products in different categories) every year and rate companies based on GLBT friendliness and policies.  I think they usually put it out around the holidays to have the most impact.  I seem to recall that we had a thread about this past year's HRC buyer's guide in the Holiday forum.

Thank you for this information, Amanda!  :) It helped explain the background for the award Anne received to this clueless foreigner.  :) I loved her brief but lovely tribute to Heath and Ennis both. So perfect!  :)

I have been away from the net and so avoided the whole "Jake's missing eulogy" discussion - but I find after pondering a bit that I'll voice my opinion too.

My view comes very close to Amanda's, in fact. In my view, offering some public words of remembrance would have been the right, proper and respectful thing to do for Jake. I don't mistake Jake and Heath for Jack and Ennis. I am aware they are - or were  :-\ - living breathing humans, distinct from any roles they play (and it irks me that those who defend Jake's behaviour in this case often are seen indicating that those who critizise him are unable to make the real life/fiction distinction).

It doesn't matter whether they were still friends or had grown distant, it doesn't matter whether they'd had a huge falling-out, even. At the untimely death of the co-star in his most important and well-known film to date, Jake Gylllenhaal should IMO have offered some few appropriate words in public tribute. No matter the status of their current close relationship or lack thereof, there must be some good memories and words of praise Jake could find to offer - and he's an actor so whether in deep grief or not, he could surely manage to utter them with a sufficiently calm and solemn demeanour.

He's had ample opportunity to do so. I'm sure the magazine that printed the other friends and colleagues' memories about Heath did ask Jake for his - I bet he's had to specifically decline to comment on this any number of times by now. It is his right to do so and to keep silent, of course. He needs not say or do a thing that he doesn't want to. But personally I think that it would have been entirely proper and respectful of him to act otherwise in this instant.

My worry is that Jake is keeping so silent not because of his feelings for Heath, such as they may have been these days, but rather because he for whatever reason wishes to distance himself from Brokeback Mountain. His commenting on Heath's death or offering an euogy would necessarily lead to a lot of Brokeback images and references popping up again. I wonder if that's what he's trying to avoid. I hope I'm mistaken in this, because it can hardly make a steadfast Brokie happy to worry this might possibly be the case.  :-\

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4617 on: March 23, 2008, 01:37:51 pm »

Hi Mikaela!

Here's a link to the main HRC website.  It's actually a really interesting thing to look at to see just how many things this group works on and is involved with at any one time.  Also, there's still an advertisement about the Gala and Anne's participation on their main/ front homepage.
http://www.hrc.org/

I agree that Jake's silence leads to unpleasant speculation (about whether he wants to distance himself from BBM, or any number of other possible scenarios like that).  To me the saddest thing is that it's causing all of this "turmoil" in the Brokie world, as witnessed by this debate that keeps coming up in various threads.  We're just all going to go around and around in circles discussing this and debating this amongst ourselves until we have at least some idea of what's really up with Jake.  Or until he finally has to appear in some kind of interview (for an upcoming movie, etc.).   I mean, even Anne has now paid tribute to Heath... and her interaction with him in regards to Brokeback was much more minimal than Jake's clearly.

It's interesting how much frustration this is really causing amongst lots of Brokie fans. :-\ 

It's also interesting to realize how much the media was expecting him to make some kind of gesture or statement earlier on in this situation.  For instance, all those false reports about him arriving in Australia for the memorial service seems to indicate that people were so expecting him to be involved in activities like that that they almost imagined seeing him in that context.   Am I correct in remembering that he did go to the memorial in L.A... but that there were no photos of him?   And, I wonder exactly what that early report by People magazine... about Jake taking Heath's death harder than most... really meant. It's the only semi-concrete reporting on what might have been his actual reaction that I can recall.  And, I really wonder how to take that now.  Maybe it's completely accurate and his silence really is an indication of deep personal trauma over this... or maybe that report was just mostly speculation.  It's just so hard to know what to make of all of this.

Anyway, I'm still hopeful that he may come through with some kind of gesture.  Maybe he just needs to take his time on this one.  I mean, if Anne's waited this long... maybe it's not too late yet for Jake after all.
 :-\

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #4618 on: March 23, 2008, 01:45:19 pm »
In this, I have to heartily agree with you, Amanda - we do not know why Jake chose not to make a statement, only that he did not.  At least, not publically.  And I believe it does have a negative effect upon the fandom for we who do not know, to attempt to speculate.  In my own commentaries I have tried to plead with those who have made negative conclusions about Jake (and there have been quite a few) not to assume or to draw a conclusion from what his silence means because they could be completely wrong about it.  And as someone who has lost several family members, I can assure you that it is not only a common but expected reaction for some people never to speak of that person to others about their feelings, simply because they do not wish to discuss it.   My sister died 18 years ago and I have not said a word to my family about my feelings about her death.  Nor did I attend her funeral.  Yet it would be wrong for anyone to assume, or conclude, that I did not love her and did not mourn her.  What I did was not talk about it.

Sharing grief is not something everyone finds themselves capable of, and I would take the commentary in the early press as true: that he was hit hard by the news and cannot speak to anyone, and wishes not to.  Beyond that, I think that we fans of both Jake and Heath best serve the fandom with the benefit of the doubt.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #4619 on: March 23, 2008, 01:59:12 pm »
My worry is that Jake is keeping so silent not because of his feelings for Heath, such as they may have been these days, but rather because he for whatever reason wishes to distance himself from Brokeback Mountain. His commenting on Heath's death or offering an euogy would necessarily lead to a lot of Brokeback images and references popping up again. I wonder if that's what he's trying to avoid. I hope I'm mistaken in this, because it can hardly make a steadfast Brokie happy to worry this might possibly be the case.  :-\

This is the conclusion that presents itself to me, too.  Maybe he doesn't realize this or is willing to pay the price of people thinking this in order to grieve in private.  He might be angry that he's expected to comment and doesn't want to be invaded.  Whatever, he's kind of missed the boat now, and maybe that's all right with him.  But IMO, whatever he says in future, unless it's to confess that his emotions kept him from speaking, will seem like something of an afterthought.
Ich bin ein Brokie...