Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3701616 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #5750 on: July 09, 2008, 11:26:08 am »
I am not a film board rater, but I believe the "R" rating for BBM was due to the 23 instances of the word "f**k." That word can be used once in a PG-13 movie, after that, it moves to R (that's what I have heard, anyway). Yes, there were also mature themes and nudity which were part of the package but that's what it is--a package.

I am sure Christopher Nolan knew exactly what he was doing to make the movie in such a way as to garner a PG-13 rating. He didn't want to lose his audience of adolescent boys!

L
I agree, there will be lots of boys of Matt's age who will want to see the movie and each parent will make their own decision.

I am equally sure that as you said Nolan would not want to put off probably one of the biggest age ranges for his film.
In all truth I am more concerned about my older son seeing it,with the allusion to violence,and he is nearly 15,particularly with his history.Each child is different, and I certainly would not have let the older one see it at Matt's age.

I know that the younger boy seems too young to be seeing it.He will be with his brother and father. He is pretty sensible when it come to knowing what scares him.He could not watch a PG13 movie if it was rooted in reality, or theoretically could be something that could occur in real life.When it comes to scary characters that he cannot connect with reality, he is fine.A more recent example, he could not watch the film about 9/11 because it really happened and he has to change the T.V channel when the advert for abused animals comes on.He cannot watch anything where people get sick and die either.

I think he is a very sensible kid, with a very mature view of what he can and can't watch.He has his own, so far very accurate barometer.

I use the rating system as a guideline, then apply it to each of my kids.Emma only wanted to see it because her brothers are going,now she knows it will be scary she has no interest.
To be honest I think Matt is more interested in seeing the cars,bikes and chases than anything else.The rest he will let wash over him.
I even let him watch most parts of BBM and he just thought it was a really sad film and could not understand why people were so prejudiced.One of his father's uncles is gay and he just simply does not have a problem with it.As for the language in BBM e has eard worse on the very middle class tennis circuit from both kids and parents !!!!!

My older son has no interest in watching it and I would not offend people her by repeating some of the filth that comes out of his mouth re gays.I am ashamed of him.He thinks it's clever to call his younger brother gay, and Matt just says so what if I am !!!!
So I suppose what I am saying is that there is chronological age and real age.My 2 boys could easily swap.Matt is nearly 12 going on 15 the oldest is nearly 15 going on 12.

Responsible parents use that guide of PG 13 and apply it individually to each of their children.

I will report back fter each of the 2 boys have seen it.

Offline BelAir

« Reply #5751 on: July 09, 2008, 11:59:55 am »
Aaron Eckhart (Harvey Dent/Two Face in TDK) was on Jay Leno last night.  I recorded it on my DVR... Jay called the movie "best picture of the year" and Aaron had lovely things to say about Heath...  I tried to find a youtube clip with no luck, so I guess I'll transcribe and report back...
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline BelAir

« Reply #5752 on: July 09, 2008, 12:20:57 pm »
Okay here you go....  (I edited out a few ands, ums, etc...)

--Jay says that Heath “had been coming here since he was a teenager.  He was just a nice kid.”

And then Aaron talks about working with Heath: “The time that I spent with him (Heath) was amazing, and as an actor, to act with somebody who really loves their craft, who really loves their character, who enjoys the process of acting so much… It was a pleasure to work with him.”

“When he came in, we did a scene, I didn’t have much to do in the scene, Heath really takes over the scene, but when he came in there, it was, you know, I had to hold on to my shirt because he was going a hundred miles an hour, he was doing all this great stuff with his character and every time was different.  I’ve never seen an actor come on stage, or come on to the movie set, and the crew perks up.  He electrified the crew.  Every single time that I hadn’t been working, I would come in and I would say to Chris Nolan, the director, and say ‘What’s going on?  What’s been happening’ and his eyes would light up and he would say ‘Oh my gosh Heath did this’ and ‘Heath did this’ and ‘His character he did this.’ He gives an amazing performance in this movie.”--

It was really nice and heartfelt.
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline optom3

« Reply #5753 on: July 09, 2008, 03:09:34 pm »
Okay here you go....  (I edited out a few ands, ums, etc...)

--Jay says that Heath “had been coming here since he was a teenager.  He was just a nice kid.”

And then Aaron talks about working with Heath: “The time that I spent with him (Heath) was amazing, and as an actor, to act with somebody who really loves their craft, who really loves their character, who enjoys the process of acting so much… It was a pleasure to work with him.”

“When he came in, we did a scene, I didn’t have much to do in the scene, Heath really takes over the scene, but when he came in there, it was, you know, I had to hold on to my shirt because he was going a hundred miles an hour, he was doing all this great stuff with his character and every time was different.  I’ve never seen an actor come on stage, or come on to the movie set, and the crew perks up.  He electrified the crew.  Every single time that I hadn’t been working, I would come in and I would say to Chris Nolan, the director, and say ‘What’s going on?  What’s been happening’ and his eyes would light up and he would say ‘Oh my gosh Heath did this’ and ‘Heath did this’ and ‘His character he did this.’ He gives an amazing performance in this movie.”--

It was really nice and heartfelt.

Heath obviously just lit up people wherever he was.I remember one review of TDK saying that you just can't wait for the joker to come back on the screen.The audience visibly changes as soon as he is back in play again.That says something of the man as an actor, that the viewer counts the time until he is back on screen, particularly when he is hardly playing a likeable character.

I felt that with Candy, I really did not like the whole heroin thing and cringed at those parts, but at the same time, felt a big hole everytime Heath was missing from a scene.It literally seemed like why didn't you just cut out the rest, the only parts worth watching are those where Heath is present.

With BBM the love of Jack and Ennis was so palpable that any time not spent watching the 2 of them and their love, or Heath and his terrible inner torment, seemed like wasted screen time to me.

I really do think a light went out in January.Never before have I felt any connection with someone I did not know.No rockstar or actor, etc.
BBM got me good and Heath continues to.I guess I will have to watch TDK on dvd, as I simply do not think I am ready to watch it surrounded by other people.

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5754 on: July 09, 2008, 03:34:22 pm »
BelAir thanks for telling us what Aaron said about Heath. :)

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #5755 on: July 09, 2008, 03:36:13 pm »
I am not a film board rater, but I believe the "R" rating for BBM was due to the 23 instances of the word "f**k." That word can be used once in a PG-13 movie, after that, it moves to R

So it's OK that a film contains loads of scary and sadistic murder and mayhem, as long as the villains don't scream "fuck" while they're killing people?  ???

Thank you for explaining, Leslie.  :)  But it still doesn't make sense to me, personally.

I'd never have let someone who wasn't well past 15 watch this film, from what I'm reading over here, - in fact, I've started worrying again how it will impact *me*. I do my best to stay away from having my mind polluted by too much human pain and horror displayed for entertainment purposes and from having my empathy numbed down by strong depictions of cruelty and sadism.... and the NFB's comment concerning "massive depiction of cruelty and violence in a threatening and very dark universe" worries me. Now none of the film reviews I have read comment on that aspect at all, even when it comes to the Joker it's all reviewers' screams of joy, and noone bothers about what he is shown getting up to, just that Heath is so good at making it believable.... so I had actually stopped worrying. But of course they are all American reviewers and used to films with massive violence being viewed by all and sundry, and so probably saw no problem as long as nobody said "fuck".  ::)

Please guys, once you've seen it - let me know if the violence is over the top and of the kind that might leave a somewhat sensitive person sleepless.  :-\

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #5756 on: July 09, 2008, 03:43:07 pm »
Yesterday the psychic James Van Praagh was on "The View" and mentioned having been visited by Heath.  I googled and found that he's mentioned it in many interviews, including one for CYInterview.com.  Here's the pertinent text:

JVP: “Very good question. Yes I have. Yes Heath Ledger has appeared to me. Two weeks after he died I was shaving and right behind on the right side in the mirror his face appeared and he said to me in my head that I screwed up. Now he knew me. We didn’t know each other directly, but we had mutual friends and he knew what I did. He said I screwed up. Then he thought about his daughter and that was it. Then the next thing I heard about Michelle [Williams], his ex, at their apartment in Brooklyn she’s been haunted by him twice. Once she was awakened at 3:00 AM by furniture moving and another time at 4:00 AM in the morning. She said she knew it was him. There was a shadowy figure at the end of her bed. She knows it’s him. I do get a sense that he is restless right now and really wants to speak with her. Actually as I speak I am working on doing a reading for her.”

Sigh. What a lot of crap poor Michelle has to deal with -  not only paps and gossip rumours about feuds with the in-laws and legal battles over inheritance. I couldn't even have imagined this kind of nonsense cropping up, some charlatan eager to make himself famous from pretend association with celebrities - even celebrities who are not longer with us and cannot refute his assertations.

What is The View and why are they giving air time to such people?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5757 on: July 09, 2008, 03:43:33 pm »
Heath obviously just lit up people wherever he was.

Yes. *sigh*

I remember one review of TDK saying that you just can't wait for the joker to come back on the screen.The audience visibly changes as soon as he is back in play again.That says something of the man as an actor, that the viewer counts the time until he is back on screen, particularly when he is hardly playing a likeable character.

I felt that with Candy, I really did not like the whole heroin thing and cringed at those parts, but at the same time, felt a big hole everytime Heath was missing from a scene.It literally seemed like why didn't you just cut out the rest, the only parts worth watching are those where Heath is present.

With BBM the love of Jack and Ennis was so palpable that any time not spent watching the 2 of them and their love, or Heath and his terrible inner torment, seemed like wasted screen time to me.

It was the same for me when seeing I'm Not There, although I enjoyed the whole movie, which I hadn't thought beforehand. But it was not this way with BBM. In BBM I loved every scene and every scene was important (though I could do without Cassie dancing after X viewings, to burrow the words of my friend and sister-mod Katherine :)).

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #5758 on: July 09, 2008, 04:13:01 pm »
Sigh. What a lot of crap poor Michelle has to deal with -  not only paps and gossip rumours about feuds with the in-laws and legal battles over inheritance. I couldn't even have imagined this kind of nonsense cropping up, some charlatan eager to make himself famous from pretend association with celebrities - even celebrities who are not longer with us and cannot refute his assertations.

What is The View and why are they giving air time to such people?

"The View" is a daytime talk show on ABC created by Barbara Walters some years ago.  There are four regular women co-hosts along with Barbara, who is there off and on.  They start off with 15-30 minutes of "Hot Topics," where each gets to air her opinion on whatever is in the news, global or celebrity.  After that they usually have a few guests, usually people promoting their books or movies.  The one with James Van Praagh was a rare themed show that featured, along with him, some guys who do a ghost-hunting show on cable and a man who heads some paranormal society.  They also showed clips of Whoopi Goldberg (one of the regulars) in her role as a medium in "Ghost."
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #5759 on: July 09, 2008, 04:26:02 pm »
Thank you for explaining, Meryl!  :-*

I hope that the four hosts at least made some sound critical comments and common sense objections, as well as mentioned the level of fraud that has been exposed as relates to medium(s) and their activities.