Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4622038 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7910 on: September 06, 2008, 03:58:02 pm »
Nice pictures Leslie. And welcome to europe!  :)

The fountain looks great.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7911 on: September 06, 2008, 04:03:55 pm »
Ah! I found the funky ferry!

Here's the official description:

A total of four ferries ply the river between the various Rhine bridges in Basel. These are part of the public transport system. They cross the Rhine without engines, moved by the force of the current alone. A ferry trip is always a special experience, not just for tourists, but for locals as well.

and a picture:

But it is one of those things you have to see to fully appreciate it's funkiness. It you notice in the picture, there is a wire off the bow of the boat and this is connected to a wire that goes across the river. And as they say, the current is the thing that just sort of pushes the boat back and forth. As the boat was arriving, it looked like it was empty. But then the Captain emerged from the little cabin and the Captain was a sight. He was probably 6'4", barefoot, wearing purple pantaloons and an orange raincoat, with a shaved head and a massive amount of hair growing out of his ears. He sort of guides the boat to the dock, assists everyone to get on, shoves off, collects the fare from each of us (1.40 euros for adults) and then disappears into the cabin. I peeked in and noticed there was a tiller so I guess he steers it somewhat. The ride took about 7 minutes and on the other side, he helped us all off the boat, helped the new people on and then off he went. And that's it...back and forth, back and forth...

But, now I can say to everyone, I have been on the Rhine!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7912 on: September 06, 2008, 05:55:02 pm »
Dude!!  Can you give us a rough translation?  Please please?

Interesting that he's on a mag cover over there.  I figured the press would be pretty quiet about him until either the Oscars or the release of Imaginarium.  So give us the scoop, Chrissi !!

Laura, Leslie and everybody who is interested in the article: I translated the whole thing. *phew* :laugh:

I wanted to translate the first few paragraphs, to give you an impression of the article's writing style, and summarize the rest. But then I enjoyed the translating (not the article itself) pretty much and just went on.

I posted it in the Heath Remembrance Forum, in the thread "Magazines featuring Heath". Here it is: http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,16718.90.html

Enjoy! :)

Offline optom3

« Reply #7913 on: September 06, 2008, 06:00:00 pm »
What an adorable four-legged brood you have, Fiona!  Love the pics, especially the one of Snowy atop Rebo-back Mountain.  ;)  ;D

Rebo carries her around like that.I am searching now for a photo I took of it, also the ones of Annie swimming round the pool.
I have, if I can get it posted, a really cute video of Annie swimming, then she gets out the pool, shakes and lies down to clean herself.She keeps hitting her tickle spot though, so as she is cleaning she is kicking herself.
Very cute but not I fear overly blessed in the brains dept. as she just continues after pausing for a brief puzzled moment.

Offline optom3

« Reply #7914 on: September 06, 2008, 06:32:01 pm »

Laura, Leslie and everybody who is interested in the article: I translated the whole thing. *phew* :laugh:

I wanted to translate the first few paragraphs, to give you an impression of the article's writing style, and summarize the rest. But then I enjoyed the translating (not the article itself) pretty much and just went on.

I posted it in the Heath Remembrance Forum, in the thread "Magazines featuring Heath". Here it is: http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,16718.90.html

Enjoy! :)

Thankyou for doing that.It must have been some task!!!

It appears to be an amalgamation of several articles all pulled into one.It never gets any easier to read though.After all this time you would think you would be immune to it, but I don't seem to be.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7915 on: September 06, 2008, 06:55:44 pm »
I love your doggies and kitties Fiona! And that puppy picture is really cute too! Thanks for sharing them with us! :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline optom3

« Reply #7916 on: September 06, 2008, 07:04:49 pm »
I love your doggies and kitties Fiona! And that puppy picture is really cute too! Thanks for sharing them with us! :D

You are more than welcome.I have to be careful not to walk them all together, as apparantly I am breaking the association rules by having 3 dogs !!!!

How jobs worth is that.?

Really should read the small print, unfortunately this Optometrist has lost her reading specs. and now I no longer own a practice I can't just go and get another pair off the shelf and get them made up.

Spectacles are sooo expensive here.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #7917 on: September 06, 2008, 10:47:04 pm »
Merci David!

Your kind thoughts are appreciated!

Keep care!

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7918 on: September 07, 2008, 06:42:38 am »

The church is up high on the Pfalz (?) to the Rhine. I thought Pfalz was "falls" like waterfalls, but I didn't see any waterfalls!

Pfalz has nothing to do with waterfalls.
The word "Pfalz" means dominion and/or base (of a travelling king/sovereign). It derives from the Latin word for palace (palatium).

Today there's a specific area in Germany which is called die Pfalz (THE Pfalz). When someone speaks of Pfalz nowadays, they mean that region of Germany. It's where I live, and it's one half of the federal state of "Rheinland-Pfalz" (Rhineland-Palatinate), the other half of course being the Rheinland (Rhineland).

Offline Artiste

« Reply #7919 on: September 07, 2008, 11:26:49 am »
Ce dimanche, bonjour à toutes et à tous!!

This Sunday, hello to all,

au revoir,
hugs!