Author Topic: TOTW 25/08: The Motel Scene - story only  (Read 8271 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
TOTW 25/08: The Motel Scene - story only
« on: September 15, 2008, 01:35:12 pm »
Hi BetterMostians :),

after a long time, we have another 'story only' topic for this week.

The motel scene plays a much more important role in the story that it does in the movie. It's four pages of a 28 pages story!

Annie Proulx describes it as „central“. Here are her words from the essay „Getting movied“:

„In the written story the motel scene after a four-year hiatus stood as central. During their few hours in the Motel Siesta, Jack's and Ennis's paths were irrevocably laid out.“

A lot of ground is covered in this four pages long passage.They're both quite chatty, which is especially noteworthy for Ennis.
One thing that stands out to me is for example Jack's narration of his rodeo injuries. I'm still asking myself why it is going into so much details.
To me, it seems like some sort of metaphor. But for what? I have an idea, but will wait for your thoughts before spilling it.

Or Ennis forebearing to ask whose fault it was [the four effin' years without a sign of life]. Combined with his earlier comment of „I didn't know where in the hell you was.[...] Four years. I about give up on you. I figured you was sore about that punch.“ it seems (almost?) as he's accusing Jack for not coming back earlier. As if Jack looking for Ennis was a matter of course. Remarkable when we think about the punch, of which we don't know yet at this point of the story, but of course the boys do.

To me this means he was more or less desperately waiting to hear from Jack. And it sure means he never had given up the hope, he says so himself. I find this pretty telling about Ennis, as well as his ability to express it to Jack.

These are only two examples to get the discussion started. Feel free to agree or disagree, and bring up other details from the (short story's) motel scene.

One note on the TOTW's account: I'll be having house guests and hence there'll be no TOTW next week. And we'll have lots of fun because my guests will be our own Leslie(MaineWriter) and her daughter! Yee-Haw! :D

Now have fun with the motel scene :).

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: TOTW 25/08: The Motel Scene - story only
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 08:13:15 pm »
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 10:00:57 am »
Some great ideas to ponder, Chrissi.  Yes, the motel scene is the centerpiece of the ss, but in the movie the greater focus is shifted to the lake scene.   :(

I'll be back when I've had time to gather some thoughts - I do agree about Jack's injuries being a metaphor.  AP wouldn't have gone into such detail without an underlying meaning, I don't think. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 07:36:40 pm »
Yes, there's more space given to the Siesta Motel than to Brokeback Mountain!! I like the part where Jack starts his litany of woes with "Got some crushed vertebrates." You bet, Annie. There's crushed vertebrates all over in this story and littering Wyoming and the world! Getting hit by the hammer of life, as AP likes to say.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 08:45:16 pm »
I can see why the screenwriters left out quite a bit of the motel scene; it would have been a bit too long and perhaps too talky for a films.   I still wish they had left in some bits of it, though.
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 11:48:53 pm »
I can see why the screenwriters left out quite a bit of the motel scene; it would have been a bit too long and perhaps too talky for a films.   I still wish they had left in some bits of it, though.

Well, they did, didn't they? I think the picture of Jake smiling into Heath's ear is one of my favorites.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 12:16:43 pm by Front-Ranger »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 12:20:30 pm »

Well, I think Ang could have done it. After all, he did Sense and Senseability, which is Austen, which is mostly talking. But, those characters weren't naked. So if he had done the motel scene as Proulx wrote it, who would be able to pay much attention to what they were saying?!?!?

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 08:56:38 pm »
Well, I think Ang could have done it. After all, he did Sense and Senseability, which is Austen, which is mostly talking. But, those characters weren't naked. So if he had done the motel scene as Proulx wrote it, who would be able to pay much attention to what they were saying?!?!?

LOL!!! Good point!  ;D

Hmmm...some interesting ideas, and an awful lot to get our teeth into - 4 pages of a 28 page story is quite a sizeable chunk! I'll have to re-read that scene again tomorrow to remind myself of it (I was reading the "Missing Motel Moments" fanfic again yesterday so that's stuck in my head at the moment, and I have a have a tendency to blur the Missing Motel Moments/Pine Creek/Warmest Week of the Year trilogy in with the original SS because they fit in so well with the story).

Hmmmm...motel scene. Happy thought to end the day on.  :)

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 08:57:12 pm »
Well, they did, didn't they? I think the picture of Jake smiling into Heath's ear is one of my favorites.

Mine too.  :)

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 09:18:53 pm »
I have just been talking of this earlier with Mandy,and I think we decided that Lee possibly thought he had shown about as much sex and intimacy as the American public could watch.

The motel scene in the S.S is full of references to sex,the smell of it etc.What would have been a bit special would have been if more intimate scenes had been filmed, and put together in a special edition DVD that some of us with more open minds would have lapped up.

I also wonder if that is the reason that some of the motel chat is moved to the scene by the campfire,where they are both fully clothed.

I miss seeing some of the post sex talk in the motel scene,it is so natural after sex to lie together,smoke if you do and discuss where and or how things might progress.That is in no way a criticism of the film which will always be my favourite.I think lee had an extraorinarily difficult task,to convey the main themes of the s.s in a way that would be palatable to the greatest number of people.

What I realy miss is when Ennis says "i hate it that you're goin a drive away in the mornin and I'M going back to work" The whole reunion and motel scene in the s.s show us a much more tender Ennis than the film.Yet again though,Lee may have been trying to miss out some elements that many viewers would have found difficult.

I find it very interesting that Ennis says he is goin back to work,rather than going back to Alma.That one sentence conveys such a lot.Whether Ennis realises it or not, he is already linking Jack with love and his personal life, as opposed to his working life.It would be more usual when playing away from home to say,i hate that I am going to have to go back to a,b or c, not work.

Ennis is starting to very definitely pigeon hole aspects of his life.