Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3165916 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #1110 on: July 12, 2006, 11:39:19 am »
One thing Louise - when you said you'd gone as far as you wanted with all the kinky sex stuff and you'd be concentrating more on the relationship side of things........

......does this mean no nipple clamps then?   

:D :D

I think I am in the Twilight Zone.  I just got off "other forum" where they are sharing the unending angst of the love that will not die, and I log in here and I read

And I very nearly fell off my chair.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #1111 on: July 12, 2006, 11:43:48 am »
I think I am in the Twilight Zone.  I just got off "other forum" where they are sharing the unending angst of the love that will not die, and I log in here and I read

I trust you didn't hurt yourself!
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1112 on: July 12, 2006, 11:46:38 am »

We have our priorities straight!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #1113 on: July 12, 2006, 12:00:11 pm »

Same here. I have just read that the people who appreciate The Widower are people who have sustained a loss and those, wait for it, who are "thinkers and analysers". I would like to add another cateory: those who resonate with misery and seems to take some pleasure in the angst of it all. Having got socked with a triple whammy of misery in BBM they actually go looking for more. One fic has Jack suffering from Alzheimers!

I have a feeling that those who genuinely felt grief over Ennis/Jack rather than indulging the sensation and drama of grief are those who really needed the break this fic is offering. Just my opinion.

I now feel that you are almost treated like a troll on the Cullen slash forum if you dont go along with The Widower line (just the name gives me the creeps) and post positive comments about the Saga.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 12:31:22 pm by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1114 on: July 12, 2006, 12:07:12 pm »
First Lauren contender ... (skinny but not scrawny .. :P)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1115 on: July 12, 2006, 12:10:01 pm »

I now feel that you are almost treated like a troll on the Cullen slash forum if you dont go along with The Widower line (just the name gives me the creeps) and post positive comments about the Saga.

Over there, they have what I call "the annointed fics." There are about five of them. They get discussed and "squeeed" endlessly. Then there are the rest of us who go into the big black hole of fic-dom. Fortunately for Louise (and me, my story has its own thread, too) we fell into that hole and came out on the other side...Bettermost.

L

And Widower...I sometimes wonder if something is wrong with my eyeballs and brain. I couldn't even finish the first chapter! And believe me, I tried...I haven't been able to read the other annointed fics, either.  Jack with Alzheimer's, Ennis as a VAMPIRE. People think this makes sense?
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1116 on: July 12, 2006, 12:10:48 pm »
First Lauren contender ... (skinny but not scrawny .. :P)

He does so NOT work for me! Oh, no, please say no everyone!

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #1117 on: July 12, 2006, 12:12:12 pm »
Typing this has made me think...those who are so adamantly opposed to movingon!Ennis fics...they seem to have a whole lot of reasons, none of which are particularly rational to me. I wonder if another might be that they don't to believe or accept that Ennis is actually capable of entering in, sustaining, and growing in a relationship? Hmmm....

L

I think I agree with you on this... I think to say Ennis would never move on really limits/trivializes him as a person.  And, as I've said before, just because he 'moves on' doesn't mean he loved/loves Jack any less, it is just him changing and growing as a person, and what is wrong with that.  (It is okay to find a way to 'live again.'  Please don't interpret what I've said as me meaning there is any sort of time table or routine to grieving, and moving on, I just mean I think it's unfair to say that moving on can't happen, and unfair is probably a poor choice of wording...  I will catch up on the posts and likely find someone who has said this better...)

“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1118 on: July 12, 2006, 12:18:13 pm »
I think I agree with you on this... I think to say Ennis would never move on really limits/trivializes him as a person. 

Exactly. And since the Jack & Ennis forever folks have both of them up there with wings and halos, why would they want to trivialize/diminish their beloved Ennis? It just doesn't make sense. And this is the way all their reasoning goes...talk about circular logic!

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1119 on: July 12, 2006, 12:19:13 pm »
This thread is moving fast...just wanted to remind everyone:

We have an Ennis and Ellery poll over in the polling place. Take a minute to vote and share your comments. Thanks!

Leslie