Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3166470 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #1370 on: July 14, 2006, 10:38:28 am »
I recently watched an early Heath Ledger film called something like 10 Reasons Why I Hate You in which he played a scruffy teenager ambling about. It was fascinating to see in that so very young face, the flashes of expressions we see on the older face when he plays Ennis. Ennis is hiding in there alright.

I haven't seen that movie, but I want to. One of these days.

I watched Monster's Ball not all that long ago...this is the one that Larry McMurtry saw and said, "That's Ennis!" of Heath Ledger's performance. It's true. Heath is not in the movie for a terribly long time (about 20 minutes) and makes an abrupt and disturbing departure. I will never watch it again but I am glad I saw it once.

Everyone laughs at me, but I liked "A Knight's Tale." Heath is such a heart throb in that..that was in his heart throb period and it works. Paul Bettany (Chaucer) is priceless.

I want to see Candy, but when I do, I doubt it will be in a theater. Probably on DVD for me. A few Australian members of Bettermost saw it, said it was very intense but Heath was excellent.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1371 on: July 14, 2006, 10:39:03 am »
It would have to be a queen sized bed.   The average ranch style house wouldn't have bedrooms large enough to fit a King sized bed without it taking up the entire room!

But then again, with the sex drive of those two............ ::)

The workaround is to get a captain's bed  ;)
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #1372 on: July 14, 2006, 10:50:49 am »
Funny you should mention this, Neatfreak, because I have been picturing E and E dancing, too. Maybe all alone one night after the bar closes...

I love Spiritual, also. In fact, there is another of Pat Metheny's songs on BBM Radio. It caught my ear the first time I heard it because it just seemed similar, so I wasn't surprised when I checked the playlist and found out who it was.

That's funny. I had the same vision of those two dancing as I was listening to some music.
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline neatfreak

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1373 on: July 14, 2006, 10:52:22 am »
You know, as usual I keep hitting "refresh" as I await the next chapter. But I have never been so content to reread a chapter as I have "Sustenance." What a powerful and moving part of this story!

*SIGH*

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1374 on: July 14, 2006, 11:39:40 am »

Everyone laughs at me, but I liked "A Knight's Tale." Heath is such a heart throb in that..that was in his heart throb period and it works. Paul Bettany (Chaucer) is priceless.

Who laughs at you?  ??? 
I loved A Knight's Tale, Heath was definitely beautiful in that.  His leading lady was also a looker!  :)

I saw '10 things I hate about you' - cute teenage movie. 
I really loved 'Four feathers' and 'The order' - I just buy every Heath movie I come across..lol!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1375 on: July 14, 2006, 11:42:08 am »
Who laughs at you?  ??? 
I loved A Knight's Tale, Heath was definitely beautiful in that.  His leading lady was also a looker!  :)

That's right, I forgot. I am among friends here! LOL

I loved, and have watched it over and over, the scene where they are dancing and it turns into "Golden Years." For some reason, I just melt all over the floor with that one.

L

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1376 on: July 14, 2006, 11:47:40 am »
I loved, and have watched it over and over, the scene where they are dancing and it turns into "Golden Years." For some reason, I just melt all over the floor with that one.

Guess what? I am actually listening to 'A Knight's Tale' soundtrack now... :D 
I got the CD here at work..  And you're right, that scene is hawt!  :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1377 on: July 14, 2006, 11:58:10 am »
I was just reading some other comments about the Jack and Ennis forever club.

Given the story I wrote, some might assume (incorrectly) that I belong to that club. I  don't. For me, each story is its own separate experience and stands (or falls) on its own merits. Reading a story about movingon!Ennis does not negate a very good story that has Jack & Ennis 4ever. I am really mystified by these people who say "I CAN'T read a story about Ennis with someone else!". If it ended there, actually, it would be okay. But usually it doesn't. The statement is usually followed by some sort of disparaging remark about the person who would dare to write such a story and the people who would dare to read it.

Guess what? It's all fiction. None of it is true. Why oh why do people let themselves go off the deep end about all this?

I just got an email from a friend whose 23 yo son was diagnosed with a recurrent Grade 4 glioma (brain tumor) and has a prognosis of about 9 to 12 months. Not good. This is real life, not whether Ennis could, should, or would ever fall in love again. Sometimes it helps to put things in perspective.

Sorry for the pensive moment. Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion.

L

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1378 on: July 14, 2006, 12:10:00 pm »
Well said Leslie!
My heart goes out to your friend and her son..   :(

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1379 on: July 14, 2006, 12:10:49 pm »
Sorry for the delay in posting a new chapter.  I actually had to *gasp* WORK all day, chasing a field that was not getting set, which turns out to be a huge enormous problem in the current system because it probably causes other problems no one has noticed yet, and I was making out the failure ticket at 5 p.m., being the last one out the door.

So... I'm in the chat room, and i'm sipping cold mineralwater, and I have 400 grammes of my favorite cheese to sustain me (as well as white seedless grapes) and you guys really don't need to know what I eat while I make up a murder plot.

My friend and erstwhile editor Judy has made up a timeline of discrepancies in the Saga which will be corrected upon 2nd draft.  The first is references to Ellery being 20 when his father died.  When I started the third book I revised the timeline of his meeting Beagle and so that all got mashed up, but he was supposed to have lost his father before he entered college, which would have been age 17 (in 1963).  The second major discrepancy, of course, is Ennis's (and Junior's) ages and the event of Jack's death.  In the short story, Jack was killed sometime after May 1983, and I had always remembered this date as May 1982 and of course put him in Austin in August of 1982, Ennis being the wrong age when he gets to Laramie.  Suffice it to say that my story has everything revised to this 1982 event, and should be straightened out, putting Ennis at age 41 (his 41st birthday having passed during the action of the second book) and Junior at age 20 (coming up on 21 in September), when Ellery will turn 38.  Whew!

Not terrible or plot-distorting discrepancies, but unfortunately, I have linked some major action in "A Second Chance" to the development of AIDS and AIDS testing and cures, and we're going to have to stick with it being 1984 at this point!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”