Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3165602 times)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #1560 on: July 16, 2006, 06:55:20 pm »
Hey, MaineWriter and notBastet,

I just read your postings on davecullen.com. Don't feel that you are wasting your time.

Judy

Thank you Judy, very much, for your kind words.  Obviously, I too feel Jack is treated with respect and love.  And it has always been, and will always be, my opinion that love for one person does not diminish love for another.  I believe our hearts are infinitely capable of love, though sadly, we don't always see that in the world around us, I do believe it is possible.
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline neatfreak

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1561 on: July 16, 2006, 07:06:40 pm »
Deep thoughts need ice cream:

Ennis:  Chunky Monkey ('Nuff said there)
Ellery:  Cherry Garcia or Chocolate Peanut Butter or Pralines & Cream  (Ladies: why?)
Lang:  Moose Tracks (Big and chunky) or Buttercupscotch (You know why)
Beagle:  Rum Raisin (Because no one likes it)
Wayne:  Peppermint (Too cool)
Dupree:  Neapolitan (Can't make up its mind which flavor it wants to be)
Lauren:  Strawberry (Sweet and fruity) or Pistachio (Sweet, light, a little nutty)
Wes and Edna: Praline Pecan (Extra sweet and a little nutty) or Bovinity Divinity (Holy cow!)
Leon:  Key Lime (A little tart)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #1562 on: July 16, 2006, 07:11:44 pm »
People who lose people eventually have to make a conscious choice as to what comes next---life dictates by necessity that one must go on and get over and keep going.

I  believe that a 40 year old man who loses his life usually goes 1 of two ways--he either decides to keep up with his real life and responsibilities and goes on, learning to love again with time, and dealing with his life postively-Those are the real survivors, still loving their families that are still here, and making choices that help them cope--or he starts drinking, resigns from life, and ends up dead.    Same with some divorces, you have all seen them-the ones who have let their lives deteriorately so drastically, they don't function anymore, have trouble with work and can't get over anything.  they are just waiting for the grim reaper---yes they happen, but they are tragic.

Thank you for saying all you have said Ranchgal.  It is good to know I am not alone in my feelings about Ennis.
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1563 on: July 16, 2006, 07:12:20 pm »
I am home from my concert and had a wonderful time, and once again it looks like I chose a good day to go to the symphony!!!!

Don't worry about my writing motivation folks, all of the positive commentary, support, and interest are all I need to sustain me.  Stay tuned for more chapters tomorrow.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1564 on: July 16, 2006, 07:14:36 pm »
Deep thoughts need ice cream:

Ennis:  Chunky Monkey ('Nuff said there)
Ellery:  Cherry Garcia or Chocolate Peanut Butter or Pralines & Cream  (Ladies: why?)
Lang:  Moose Tracks (Big and chunky) or Buttercupscotch (You know why)
Beagle:  Rum Raisin (Because no one likes it)
Wayne:  Peppermint (Too cool)
Dupree:  Neapolitan (Can't make up its mind which flavor it wants to be)
Lauren:  Strawberry (Sweet and fruity) or Pistachio (Sweet, light, a little nutty)
Wes and Edna: Praline Pecan (Extra sweet and a little nutty) or Bovinity Divinity (Holy cow!)
Leon:  Key Lime (A little tart)

;D  Absolutely brilliant!

I've been busy helping myself to some of the 'cast members' in the meantime ...  ::)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1565 on: July 16, 2006, 07:15:54 pm »
I am home from my concert and had a wonderful time, and once again it looks like I chose a good day to go to the symphony!!!!

Don't worry about my writing motivation folks, all of the positive commentary, support, and interest are all I need to sustain me.  Stay tuned for more chapters tomorrow.

Great to see ya back Louise!  ;)
Can't wait for updates tomorrow!

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #1566 on: July 16, 2006, 07:28:58 pm »

Ennis Del Mar - On Death and Dying

A few years back the great medical researcher, Elizabeth Kubler-Ross wrote the book length study, On Death and Dying.

In the story canon, Ennis passed through four of the five stages of death and dying, which equally apply to grief.

1. Denial: After receiving the "deceased" stamped post card he proceeded to the pay phone, telling himself that Jack would answer the phone - had to answer the phone.

2. Anger: He wanted to curse Lureen for letting Jack die on the dirt road.

3. Bargaining: The trip to Lightning Flat, seeking the ashes and finding the shirts, was a vain attempt to make peace with the reality of Jack's death.

4. Depression: The story ends, leaving Ennis and all of us who care about him, in a state of deep depression over the devastating loss of the love of his life.

The Laramie Saga is the story of Ennis moving into the final stage of grief:

5. Acceptance: In every way Ellery helps Ennis deal with his grief, honoring the love he and Jack shared, and moving into a new love and life.

Ennis and Jack are real archetypes of men who love each other, and so our grief over Jack's death is real. People have to move through the stages of grief at our own rate, in our own time. Those who are still in one of the first four stages of grief as above very much want dear Ennis to stay there to keep them company. The stages of grief are fluid, and we move back and forth among them.

For those who are emotionally hurt by the wars at that other site, I have the following words of advice: Stay out of there (*growl*).
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #1567 on: July 16, 2006, 07:31:01 pm »
Lucise, I am jealous!  I got to have pumpkin muffins, but you also got to have ice cream!  I just might have to make a special trip to the store.

Just a word of explanation on my part, regarding what Leslie has affectionately named TFW.

First of all, thank you all so much for sharing your individual opinions on Ennis, and Ellery, and Jack.  And thank you for giving Leslie and myself (and of course Louise) some moral support.  You all are a breath of fresh air...  

It was not my goal, nor my hope to change anyone's mind, I just felt the need to stand up and be heard.  I think there are others out there who want to move on, who think Ennis can move on, and I wanted them to know they weren't alone.  And we are not allowed to post "Come join us at Bettermost if you are an Ennis and Ellery fan.  There you will be treated with kindness and respect."  So instead, we had to stand up for Ennis and Ellery over there.  At least, that's my take on the situation.

So, sorry to have dragged anyone down by adding unnecessary drama, but again, thanks for all your words of support.

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #1568 on: July 16, 2006, 07:37:47 pm »
Oh, I think someone wanted me to explain why I wanted chocolate and peanut butter ice cream for Ellery.

I think it's because there are two textures, both equally delicious, just as you might get bored with one texture, your tastes buds find something very different, but incredibly rich.  I like the richness of it personally, and I think Ellery is a very rich man, and I don't mean he has a lot of money in the bank, and no I am not referring to the size/quality of the items in his fruit basket either (though I've no doubt anything is lacking).
 ;D

Offline neatfreak

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1569 on: July 16, 2006, 07:38:49 pm »
How 'bout this for Ellery's ice cream:

Ellery:  Cherry Garcia (Soooo sweet) or Chocolate Peanut Butter (Rich and delectable to the tongue) or Pralines & Cream (Sweet, nutty and uh, creamy)