Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3131850 times)

Offline neatfreak

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #1780 on: July 18, 2006, 07:02:13 pm »
Locations update, in alphabetical order:

Bigheart:  Bergschenhoek, Holland (CET=EDT+6)
CarolK1943:  Somewhere, Michigan (EDT)
DavidinHartford:  Hartford (duh), Connecticut (EDT)
DeeDee:  Baltimore, Maryland (EDT)
gn411:  St Petersburg, FL (EDT)  (what heat?)
Helen:  Somewhere, UK (UKT=EDT+5)
JennyC:  San Francisco, California (PDT=EDT-3)
Louisev: Saarbrücken, Germany (CET=EDT+6)
LoveEmBoys:  Somewhere, Colorado (MDT=EDT-2)
Lucise:  Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (MDT=EDT-2)
Mainewriter:  Portland, Maine (EDT)
Neatfreak:  Indianapolis, Indiana (EDT)
notBastet:  Somewhere, North Carolina (EDT)
Pastorfred:  Moscow, Idaho (PDT=EDT-3)
Quiplash:  Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada (CST=EDT)
Ranchgal: Northern Plains of South Dakota (CDT=EDT-1)
Scudder:  Tucson, Arizona (MST=EDT-3, for now)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 07:59:57 pm by neatfreak »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1781 on: July 18, 2006, 07:20:00 pm »
:)Yes I have, and I loved it too.

Comments like that just make my day. Thanks, Quip.

Leslie
MaineWriter
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1782 on: July 18, 2006, 07:25:13 pm »
Stats Update:

We are within easy striking distance of overtaking "The Performance" in number of views, and have very firmly established ourselves ahead of the "Person Below Me" game in number of replies. Next big milestone will be to overcome the NC17 thread for replies (about 500 to go to get there, but at least they are not a moving target since that thread is dead). At our current rate, we could do that in 8 to 10 days. If the story heats up, it may be faster.

Why do I care about this stuff? You tell me. I must have a hidden competitive streak I never knew about. LOL

Leslie
MaineWriter
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline CarolK1943

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1783 on: July 18, 2006, 07:42:11 pm »
Who Am I?

My name is Carol and I was born in 1943 - hence my username.  This makes me the same age as Jack and Ennis - I was also 19 in the summer of 1963.  I am originally from New Hampshire, but have lived in Michigan (that's EDT) for 44 years - originally to attend college, but after that I just stayed, got married, had kids, worked as a computer programmer and computer systems analyst, had grandkids, retired.  Now I babysit my youngest daughter's 6 kids while she works 2 jobs.

I used to read books and do genealogy, but now I read BBM fanfiction and slash.  I became aware of the movie from TV ads in early Dec, read the story in Jan, saw the movie in Feb and again in Mar - took my 14-year-old granddaughter both times.  No movie, TV show or book has ever affected me this much and I don't even know why.  All I know is I cry in the movie when Jack cries and I cry in the movie when Ennis cries.  I cry when I read of these events in fan fiction - especially mention of Jack's death and realizing Ennis is now alone.  I don't want to see Ennis grow old alone.

I say I can't read Dead!Jack fic, but I love all of the Laramie stories.  I can't get past the first page of "Widower", but I loved "Riding Fence".  I'll read or at least start to read almost anything BBM or RPS.  I guess I'm inconsistant, because I just love a happy ending for Jack and Ennis - loved "Love Born From Steel" - but also like MovingOn!Ennis.

I'll never have much to say, but I read all posts here.

Offline Quiplash

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • I'm Jack on the outside, Ennis on the inside.
    • as I live a few more questions
« Reply #1784 on: July 18, 2006, 07:58:58 pm »
Oh yeah, Hugh Jackman makes a GREAT Ellery.  Just need to darken his hair (and lengthen it) and grey his eyes and voila!

--Quiplash.  See all my PhotoShopped Brokeback Mountain fanart creations here

Offline neatfreak

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1785 on: July 18, 2006, 08:07:07 pm »
Welcome to our fast-growing thread, Carol! Have some ice cream!

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1786 on: July 18, 2006, 08:20:57 pm »
Since when offering ice cream became our secret welcome code here?  I must have missed it.  :)

Ok I have a silly but serious question from a bakery challenged person.  Where or rather which brand of biscuits dough I should buy to make those yummy biscuits?  I like the biscuits at KFC, I have tried the Butter Milk biscuit dough I can find at grocery store, but they taste nothing like KFC biscuits.  I know Leslie has posted a Biscuit recipe, but I can not manage anything more than putting dough on a sheet and in the oven.  So any suggestion?

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #1787 on: July 18, 2006, 08:44:31 pm »
I'll never have much to say, but I read all posts here.

Carol - I don't believe that for one second! 
 ;D
(You might never say much, but I bet you have a lot to say... reminds me of a certain taciturn cowboy, as portrayed by a certain handsome man...)
But don't worry if you don't want to say much, we all know silence is golden...  (sometimes I mix up my cliches, I hope that one is right)  Anyhow, I'd love to listen to anything you have to say. ;)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1788 on: July 18, 2006, 08:45:08 pm »
Since when offering ice cream became our secret welcome code here?  I must have missed it.  :)

Ok I have a silly but serious question from a bakery challenged person.  Where or rather which brand of biscuits dough I should buy to make those yummy biscuits?  I like the biscuits at KFC, I have tried the Butter Milk biscuit dough I can find at grocery store, but they taste nothing like KFC biscuits.  I know Leslie has posted a Biscuit recipe, but I can not manage anything more than putting dough on a sheet and in the oven.  So any suggestion?

Go to the grocery store, to the dairy section, and look for the bicuits in the tubes. That's what Ennis and Ellery are eating. They only get homemade biscuits when Edna or Alma Jr. bake them.

Since I have not gone to the grocery store since I saw BBM (I am NOT making this up) I have forgotten the brand names, but I believe there is a very generic "Pillsbury Doughboy" brand biscuit. I think the can makes 10 of them. Then there are Hungry Jack biscuits and they come in, I dunno, traditional and flaky? Something like that. I believe there are only 6 in can for those, because the biscuits are bigger.

Some people hate these these biscuits in a can, but to be honest, I don't think they are bad. When you have young children and you are trying to make a home cooked dinner---with two parents who work--you take shortcuts. These are a good way to have something hot and semi-homemade....as opposed to bringing home dinner in a bag from McDonald's. I think there is someone on FoodTV who does this...presents menus with one or two fully homecooked items and then shortcuts the other stuff. I usually cook the main course (meat or a vegetarian entree) and a vegetable, shortcut the rest: biscuits, bread, other starch (rice), things for dessert (although we rarely eat dessert) but when we do...ice cream, cookies, pie, usually in that order.

To be honest, the more likely dessert around here is to have a little bit of good quality chocolate...with a glass of wine. Now that is my idea of heaven!

Leslie

« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 08:46:59 pm by MaineWriter »

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #1789 on: July 18, 2006, 08:46:38 pm »
Oh yeah, Hugh Jackman makes a GREAT Ellery.  Just need to darken his hair (and lengthen it) and grey his eyes and voila!

So I voted for Hugh Jackman early on, but I was never 100% convinced, UNTIL NOW!  My goodness our Ellery is a fine man.
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger