Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3131713 times)

Offline Quiplash

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • I'm Jack on the outside, Ennis on the inside.
    • as I live a few more questions
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #2030 on: July 21, 2006, 11:42:55 pm »
Quote from: MaineWriter link=topic=2833.msg62064#msg62064

Telephone conversation between Heath Ledger and Joe Albierti, his agent. (Disclaimer: I really don't know the name of Heath's agent.)

-----------------------------------

“Hullo?” said Heath, answering the phone on its third ring.

“Hey, Heath, it’s Joe,” came the booming voice of his agent. “How’s it hanging?”

Heath winced. Ever since Brokeback Mountain, certain expressions just didn’t seem funny anymore. “I’m fine, Joe,” said Heath. “How about you?”

“Fine, fine, fine. Now, listen Heath, I have a project I want to talk to you about. You want to chat now or get together in person?”

“Chat now is fine,” said Heath. “I’m not in the middle of anything.” Actually, he’d been thinking about going to the market to buy some vegetables and pasta for a primavera, but that could wait.

“All right,” said Joe. “So, you know how Brokeback made such a buzz, blew everyone’s socks off and people have been talking sequel for months now.”

“I know,” said Heath, “but how can there be a sequel? Jack is dead. No way to bring him back to life, now, is there? This isn’t the TV show Dallas.”

Joe laughed at that. “You’re absolutely right,” he said, “but there is the possibility of picking up the story where it ends…or maybe a few years later.”

“And…” said Heath, leaving the thought unfinished.

“Well,” said Joe, “we’ve had a bunch of interns working in the office, scouring the Internet for possible stories.”

“Scouring the Internet?” said Heath, not clearly following Joe’s train of thought.

“Yeah,” replied Joe. “There are lots of Brokeback fans out there, writing stories that pick up on the original. Some change the ending, some having Jack surviving.”

“Oh,” said Heath. “You mean fanfic. You guys are looking at fanfic for a possible sequel to Brokeback?”

“You know about fanfic?” said Joe.

“I’ve heard about it, yeah,” responded Heath.

“So, yes, we’re looking at fanfic as a possible source of a story. Now, most of what we have found won’t work, but we’ve come across this one story that would. And we’re thinking of optioning it for a movie.”

“So what’s the premise?” asked Heath.

“It picks up in 1984, two years after Jack’s death. Ennis has been basically alone, spending some time with Junior. Y’know, poor as shit, nothing much has changed. Then he does some reading, this and that, ends up in a gay bar in Laramie.”

“And…?” said Heath, urging Joe to continue.

“He meets a guy, eventually they get together, have a relationship. The guy’s name is Ellery.”

“Doesn’t sound like much of a story, Joe. Not enough to carry a whole movie.”

“Well, that’s the core of it for Ennis. There’s lots of other stuff going on. The guy, Ellery, is  a cop and gets involved in trying to find out what happened to Jack, if he was murdered. And he owns the gay bar, too, so there’s that whole angle of the story. As a matter of fact,” he said, pausing, “there’s way too much story for a movie. We’d have to cut some of it down. Right now the author is on her fourth book, it is turning into an epic.”

“Wow,” said Heath. “Sounds interesting.” He paused for a minute. “You said it takes place after the story, right? So I’d be old Ennis.”

“Yes, you’d be 40, 41. He has a birthday in the story, actually.”

“I didn’t like old Ennis,” said Heath. “I didn’t like all that latex shit they put on my face, and making my hair look like straw.”

Joe laughed. “Well, we could work it out to make you look younger, probably. Ennis falls really hard for this guy Ellery. He’d be really happy, that would take some of the age out of his face. Oh, and about the hair…your curls would be back. Ellery likes Ennis’s curls.”

Heath paused for a minute, letting it all sink in, then he asked, “Would Jake be back?”

“He might—for a small part. There are a few flashback scenes that might get included.”

“What about Ellery? Any thought of who’d play his character?”

“Yes, as a matter of fact,” said Joe, “there’s talk about Hugh Jackman. Know him?”

“I’ve met him a few times,” said Heath. “Seems like a nice guy. Never worked with him, though.” He paused. “How did Jackman’s name come up?”

Joe took a breath. “Actually, in addition to the story on the Internet, there’s this—I guess you’d call it a fan club—and they have been busy casting the production. Jackman seems like a good choice. He’s got the right look. Ellery’s tall, very thin, grey eyes, black hair…”

They were both silent for a minute, then Joe continued. “Now, one thing I have to tell you, Heath…there’s more sex in this story than there was in Brokeback. In other words, you need to get used to the idea of more than 90 seconds in a tent and one hot reunion kiss.”

Heath laughed softly. “And where did this come from?”

“Audience feedback. They wanted more and since this story has a happy ending, we can give them more.”

“Is there sex in the story? The one on the Internet, I mean?” said Heath.

“Ohhhh yes,” said Joe. “Lots. Rather explicit, as a matter of fact. We’d need to tone it down for the movie.”

“Rather explicit?” said Heath. “That sounds more like slash, not fanfic.”

“Oh,” said Joe. “You know the difference?”

Heath sounded exasperated. “I haven’t been living under a rock, you know. Yes, I know the difference. I also know what RPS is, too, and yes, I’ve read a few of the stories.”

Joe laughed. “Maybe we should let you do the scouring, forget the interns.” Heath chuckled along with this comment. “So, Heath, still interested?”

“Maybe. I’d like to read the story. Send me an email with the link and I’ll get started on it tonight.”

“Okay,” said Joe, “will do. But let me warn you, you might not want to start reading until you have about three days of your life to devote to this. It is rather addicting.”

Heath laughed. “Thanks for the warning. Send me the link. And send me the link to the fan club, too. Maybe I’ll drop in for a visit.”

Whoa.  Fanfic about fanfic.  That's metafanfic.  (*head explodes*)
--Quiplash.  See all my PhotoShopped Brokeback Mountain fanart creations here

Offline Quiplash

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • I'm Jack on the outside, Ennis on the inside.
    • as I live a few more questions
« Reply #2031 on: July 21, 2006, 11:59:56 pm »

A big word of Thank you to Louise for all the excellent work!
We love ya!!
 :-* :-*

[/center]

Oh I really, REALLY like this!!  Well done.
--Quiplash.  See all my PhotoShopped Brokeback Mountain fanart creations here

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #2032 on: July 22, 2006, 04:53:26 am »
Well I think I may have paid my last visit to the dc slash discussion thread. I just can no longer stand the way everyone is shedding tears and breaking their hearts over how sad and lonely and miserable Ennis' life is now and forever. So I conveyed a message from Ennis saying how much he appreciated everyone's concern but that he wanted assure everyone that he was recovering and having a happy life in Laramie. No doubt I have worn out my welcome there with this last missive!
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2033 on: July 22, 2006, 05:38:11 am »
Well I think I may have paid my last visit to the dc slash discussion thread. I just can no longer stand the way everyone is shedding tears and breaking their hearts over how sad and lonely and miserable Ennis' life is now and forever. So I conveyed a message from Ennis saying how much he appreciated everyone's concern but that he wanted assure everyone that he was recovering and having a happy life in Laramie. No doubt I have worn out my welcome there with this last missive!

I think the whole phenomenon of leaving a board is an interesting one. At the very beginning of this thread (and else where on the board, as I reposted it) is a history of Chez Tremblay. The core band of regulars (including me) came here from IMDb. Even though we were in the midst of a terrible troll war, people were very reluctant to leave and it wasn't until Pierre Tremblay board was essentially destroyed that we packed up and moved here.

I have heard similar stories about the Yahool! Board.

It is interesting how hard it is to leave a place, even when there are problems. But I guess that is true about most things in life, isn't it?
L
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 06:27:13 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2034 on: July 22, 2006, 05:39:00 am »
Whoa.  Fanfic about fanfic.  That's metafanfic.  (*head explodes*)

Metafanfic...heeheehee...great term, Quiplash.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2035 on: July 22, 2006, 06:07:54 am »

Hi MM... You might want to drop by the FanFiction section of this board, which as you may know by reading here, is now moderated by myself and Leslie, and we are encouraging readers and writers there to share their work and their reading experiences on the whole range of the Brokeback Experience.  Our philosophy, as so well expressed by Phillip in founding this board, is "To finish the story of Brokeback in our own lives."  This of course, requires us to find our own answers, our own solutions, and yes, the endings that we ourselves write.

For whatever reason, there are "categories" of outcomes and styles in fan fiction that attract people.  No doubt a clinical psychologist might find this of interest and be able to offer a definitive explanation of why some choose alternate endings for Ennis and others choose to rewrite the ending of BBM and some choose a happier or a more tragic outcome.  There is room for all outcomes here.  In the interest of harmony, however, as a newly appointed mod, our official position regarding davecullen.com is one of friendly cooperation and interaction.  Take what you like... leave the rest.

(Uh oh, I think I stole that from an AA slogan!)
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2036 on: July 22, 2006, 07:59:23 am »
Update to "Shelter From the Storm"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/78060.html  "Chapter 10:  Lack of Professionalism"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2037 on: July 22, 2006, 08:48:41 am »
An early morning treat....gotta love the weekend. Thanks, Louise!

L

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2038 on: July 22, 2006, 10:39:21 am »
Another update to "Shelter From the Storm"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/78329.html  "Chapter 11:  Ambush"

Offline neatfreak

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2039 on: July 22, 2006, 10:50:55 am »
I would like to put a word in for the davecullen forum. It was a lifesaving haven for me when I had nowhere to turn in the days following my first viewing of the movie. I found loving likeminded souls who knew what I was going through and helped me find my way again. I continue to visit daily, reading every entry of the "How BBM Affected Me" thread, which continues to evolve as does our journey through this emotional upheaval.

I found the Laramie Saga through the DC Slash thread, although I no longer visit that particular thread. The companionship I have found here is what I need. Your acceptance is the draw and continues to be, as that in the "Affected" thread. I have enough discord in real life. I am still sorting through the changes that have been produced in me as a result of this phenomenon.

I would like to see all of us continue to accept that we have different needs and address it positively. I have bowed out of a couple of threads at DC quietly because they no longer suit my needs. That's fine. Let's enjoy the companionship we have found here that is unique to anywhere else. You guys are great.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 10:57:59 am by neatfreak »