Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2162932 times)

injest

Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #1720 on: July 07, 2007, 11:53:21 pm »
I am thinking about my friend, David. I know he is having a hard weekend but I don't think that a parade will help...so I am just gonna leave him a hug!

{{{{David}}}}

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1721 on: July 08, 2007, 02:40:09 am »
I am thinking about my friend, David. I know he is having a hard weekend but I don't think that a parade will help...so I am just gonna leave him a hug!

{{{{David}}}}

Awww!

Thank you Jess!  :-*  :-*
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1722 on: July 08, 2007, 03:10:30 am »
Haha. I just found this!

What is a Hoosier?

Hoosiers are described as "shrewd, independent, horribly stubborn, conservative, tradition oriented, a teller of tales and willing to stretch the truth if it makes for a good story, fair minded, and somewhat shy, observant and evasive, but the best friend a person could ever have once they get to know you".

Partial source: "Indiana" by Darrel Jones and Jared Carter (Published by Graphic Arts Center Publishing Co. Portland, Ore.

That's not me, is it??  ;)

Here's what else the book said about the Hoosier state....

"It is decidedly "un Michigan-like", one Indiana writer suggested back in 1922 while ruminating about his home territory. "Although it tinges off toward Illinois on the west and Kentucky on the south, the community is neither nebulous nor indefinite. It is individual."

"But what about Ohio, to the east - is it like Ohio? Ah yes, "the Buckeye State" said Indiana poet James Whitcomb Riley, "where a Hoosier is scrutinized as critically as a splinter in the thumb of a near sighted man."

No. It is not at all like Ohio. Another Hoosier savant, Kin Hubbard,explained what happens when you cross the line from Ohio into Indiana: "I'm told by transcontinental tourists who cross Indianny west on the ole historic National road that they no sooner hit Richmond on the eastern border till plots fer novels an' rhymes fer verses come o'er 'em so fast an' thick that  they kin hardly see the road, an' often go in the ditch."

Part of the Indiana legend is that practically everybody in the state is a writer. They tell outlandish stories about this. They claim that a visiting eastern writer once thought to coddle his Hoosier audience by inviting any local authors present to join him on the platform during his lecture - whereupon everyone in the audience stood up and moved forward.

They add that when he recovered from his shock and noticed one old man still seated at the back of the hall and inquired about him, the others said, "Oh he writes too. He's just deef and didn't hear what you said."

The truth is that the old man wasn't deef, he was contrary. This is the chief Hoosier character trait, when all said is done.

Hoosier contrariness is different from other forms. It is a mixture of stubbornness, skepticism and occasional downright foolhardiness carried to such an outrageous degree that it reverses itself all over again and becomes sensible and calm."

The book goes on.....

"I once knew an old farmer who lived up by Fortville who was contrary, in the classic sense. His name was Frosty Moore. "Frosty Moore is the salt of the earth", one of his neighbors announced one day while we were standing on an old trestle bridge, looking down at the water, "but he's so contrary, if he fell in the crick, he'd float upstream."

Which brings me to a few more Hoosier words and phrases! (I told you I would post them if I thought of any more!)

Icebox - A refrigerator.

Crick - Creek

Fence Runner - a small lizard found in Indiana, often seen sitting on a fence rail.

Poke - A bag or sack.

Stool - A toilet. Sometimes the Hoosier will refer to it as a "toilet stool".

Don't know why I just said all this! I'm bored I guess!  :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1723 on: July 09, 2007, 01:42:25 am »
I had a Plymouth Fury....but it was like a 76 or something...it was brown.

Like this one Jess?

Cool car!!  8)

My first car was an Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. Like this....

Except mine was burgandy, with a beige and burgandy two tone roof. I got it in 1980 when it was 2 years old. It had a sooped up V-8 engine in it! VERY FAST CAR!!! I got several speeding tickets in that car. haha.  :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1724 on: July 09, 2007, 03:26:02 pm »
Hello Indiana!

Boy, this sure does bring back a lot of memories! It's an old WTHR Channel 13 promo from 1980. I remember seeing this all the time. I loved it.  I think it provides a nice snapshot of the Hoosier state. The guy on the scrambler ride and in the airplane is Bob Gregory. He was one of the weathermen for Channel 13. He still does the weather sometimes, along with his son Kevin.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNbU8mqU2HY[/youtube]

(For those of us on dial-up, this video is about :57 seconds)

If you have some spare time, check out Phillip's Media thread.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,10973.0.html

Phillip has posted many similar promos in his thread. Perhaps you can find one for your city or state. He's even posted a few Canadian promos. And Kerry, I saw a couple of Australian promos in there too; one for Adelaide and another for Melbourne. I didn't see one for Sydney,  but I might have missed it!  :D

« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 03:03:30 am by David »

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1725 on: July 09, 2007, 03:58:32 pm »
What is a Hoosier?

Hoosiers are described as "shrewd, independent, horribly stubborn, conservative, ... fair minded, and somewhat shy, observant and evasive, but the best friend a person could ever have once they get to know you".

The truth is that the old man wasn't deef, he was contrary. This is the chief Hoosier character trait, when all said is done.

Hoosier contrariness is different from other forms. It is a mixture of stubbornness, skepticism and occasional downright foolhardiness carried to such an outrageous degree that it reverses itself all over again and becomes sensible and calm."

Sounds like Hoosiers have lots of cousins in Iowa.  ;D

(Ref.: "Iowa Stubborn," from The Music Man, which I watched over the Fourth of July holiday.  ;D )

I question whether there is anything particularly Hoosier about the words icebox, crick, and even deef. My grandpa always called a refrigerator an icebox, and my dad says crick and deef, and both of 'em are Pennsylvanians born and bred.  ;D (In the last case, my dad being Pennsylvania German, I tend to think deef is actually a corruption of tief, German for deaf.)

Yeah, I'm bored, too!  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1726 on: July 09, 2007, 04:04:34 pm »
Sounds like Hoosiers have lots of cousins in Iowa.  ;D

(Ref.: "Iowa Stubborn," from The Music Man, which I watched over the Fourth of July holiday.  ;D )

I question whether there is anything particularly Hoosier about the words icebox, crick, and even deef. My grandpa always called a refrigerator an icebox, and my dad says crick and deef, and both of 'em are Pennsylvanians born and bred.  ;D (In the last case, my dad being Pennsylvania German, I tend to think deef is actually a corruption of tief, German for deaf.)

Yeah, I'm bored, too!  :laugh:

Well, it's nice to know we aren't the ONLY ones who talk like that!  :D

Still, it's pretty bad. Do you say "perscription" (not PRESCRITION) instead of "subscription" out there in Pennsylvania?

I'll bet ya don't!!  ;)

:laugh:  :laugh:

Thanks for getting bored with me, Jeff!  :D

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1727 on: July 09, 2007, 04:27:39 pm »

Well, it's nice to know we aren't the ONLY ones who talk like that!  :D

Still, it's pretty bad. Do you say "perscription" (not PRESCRITION) instead of "subscription" out there in Pennsylvania?

I'll bet ya don't!!  ;)

:laugh:  :laugh:

No, not instead of subscription, but my dad does go to the drug store to pick up his perscriptions instead of his prescriptions.  :D

Thanks for getting bored with me, Jeff!  :D

Any time, David!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

karen1129

« Reply #1728 on: July 09, 2007, 07:11:16 pm »
David, we talk like that in Texas also.  Especially East Texas.

Crick, perscription, etc.
Window is winder !!!!
Yellow is yeller !!!!
Aunt Nita is Aunt Niter !!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

When I have been home for a visit with my parents.......when I get back  everyone here in Central Texas asks me.....
you been to East Texas?   ;)

K

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1729 on: July 09, 2007, 07:38:43 pm »
David, we talk like that in Texas also.  Especially East Texas.

Crick, perscription, etc.
Window is winder !!!!
Yellow is yeller !!!!
Aunt Nita is Aunt Niter !!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

When I have been home for a visit with my parents.......when I get back  everyone here in Central Texas asks me.....
you been to East Texas?   ;)

K

We're a trip, aren't we Karen??  :laugh:

;)  ;)

Once when my friend from New England was here in Indiana visiting me, he asked me why the Hoosier dialect was different from other Midwestern dialects, and I didn't have an answer for him. Since I live here, I never really noticed it. But other non Hoosiers have also mentioned this, so I decided to do a little research, and there is a reason for it.

Back in the early 1800's, people heading westard from the East moved through Indiana without stopping (can't say I blame them  ;) ) but those from the South (places like Virginia, Georgia and the Carolinas) often stopped and settled in Indiana. Over the years, some of those Southern speech patterns have survived. So, from Indianapolis southward, people will often hear a slight southern drawl when they speak with Hoosiers. Now up in Northern Indiana, (north of Fort Wayne and Lafayette) Hoosiers sound more Northern; similar to the dialects in Michigan or Wisconsin. You've heard that accent before, haven't you? They sound like their noses are all stopped up!  :D