Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2197144 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #3530 on: January 12, 2009, 01:02:15 am »
Wow Kelda! That is GREAT!!! I need to do that.

Yes you do! Go put it in your DVD player right now! ;)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3531 on: January 12, 2009, 01:12:36 am »
OH and David, I watched my Mamma Mia DVD for the first time today. It was as good as I remembered!

I got a treadmill delivered on Friday - my new fitness regime and spent the whole movie (plus trailers) - 1hr 45mins on the treadmill. I was going 4.5km per hr most of the time, so did just under 8 km.

I love it! I watch it just about every day. I'll probably watch it again tonight. Jack won't watch it. I don't know why. There must be something wrong with him. ;) ;)

Good luck with your new treadmill Kelda!

I'm still trying to figure out this metric thing. I THINK I have kilometers figured out. I have a quick way of doing the math in my head. For example if I hear somebody say 100 km, I'll divide it in half and then add 10 percent. So, in this case the answer I would end up with is 60, for MPH. 100 / 2 = 50 + (10 percent of 100) 10 = 60.

I know it isn't completely accurate, but at least it will give me a ball park figure.

For meters I will multiply (or divide) by 3. So 3 meters is 9 feet. Again it's not exact, but it's close enough. I still haven't figured out a way to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius. I just know 0 C is 32 F, 100 C is 212 F, and something around 25 C  or 30 C is a good temp to hit the pool! :)

Now, this makes me think of something else. Why do Americans spell some words differently than in other English speaking countries? We say color and they say colour. Organize/organise, realize/realise, airplane/aeroplane. There's lots and lots of examples.

But why?

We are the only English speaking country that does it. Even Canada spells those words like everyone else. :-\

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3532 on: January 12, 2009, 01:29:52 am »
How are you and the weather doing today David?  :-*

Apparently there will be some arctic air coming down from Alaska and Canada in a few days. They said it will be pretty bad too. Wednesday's high temperature will only be 10 F and the low will be around -10. That's pretty damn cold if you ask me. I'm not looking forward to it! In the meantime, we will be getting more snow tomorrow before the super cold weather arrives. :P

Yucky.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3533 on: January 12, 2009, 01:32:54 am »
I just saw Jess look in here but she didn't say anything. >:(

Brad did the exact same thing the other night. If they keep it up I will develop a complex. ;)

injest

« Reply #3534 on: January 12, 2009, 02:58:59 am »
I love it! I watch it just about every day. I'll probably watch it again tonight. Jack won't watch it. I don't know why. There must be something wrong with him. ;) ;)

I'm still trying to figure out this metric thing. I THINK I have kilometers figured out. I have a quick way of doing the math in my head. For example if I hear somebody say 100 km, I'll divide it in half and then add 10 percent. So, in this case the answer I would end up with is 60, for MPH. 100 / 2 = 50 + (10 percent of 100) 10 = 60.

I know it isn't completely accurate, but at least it will give me a ball park figure.

For meters I will multiply (or divide) by 3. So 3 meters is 9 feet. Again it's not exact, but it's close enough. I still haven't figured out a way to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius. I just know 0 C is 32 F, 100 C is 212 F, and something around 25 C  or 30 C is a good temp to hit the pool! :)

Now, this makes me think of something else. Why do Americans spell some words differently than in other English speaking countries? We say color and they say colour. Organize/organise, realize/realise, airplane/aeroplane. There's lots and lots of examples.

But why?

We are the only English speaking country that does it. Even Canada spells those words like everyone else. :-\

cause they are all crazy!!

;D

injest

« Reply #3535 on: January 12, 2009, 02:59:54 am »
I just saw Jess look in here but she didn't say anything. >:(

Brad did the exact same thing the other night. If they keep it up I will develop a complex. ;)

well! you didn't even come say hi to me!!

:P :P

^^
*me sticking my tongue out at David*

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #3536 on: January 12, 2009, 08:14:02 am »
I always just look at the online convertors! Im too lasy to do myself!!

(Oh and Jess, you Yanks are crazy ones with the wording! Colour has a U in it! organise doesnt need a z!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

injest

« Reply #3537 on: January 12, 2009, 08:18:52 am »
I always just look at the online convertors! Im too lasy to do myself!!

(Oh and Jess, you Yanks are crazy ones with the wording! Colour has a U in it! organise doesnt need a z!

well a person doesn't NEED chocolate either but I ain't giving it up! sometimes it isn't about NEED..it's about WANT!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #3538 on: January 12, 2009, 11:30:07 am »
David, I can't remember the last time I watched the Real World.

Eric from the very first season is on a new tv show now, "Confessions of a Teen Idol" on VH-1.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3539 on: January 12, 2009, 03:07:41 pm »

But why?

I did not realise that Canada has the same spelling as Great Britain.  I know I hate using spell check now.It is forever telling me to drop the U's and change the S's. Not only does America spell differently, but they use completely different words too. There are hundreds of them. Pavement/sidewalk. football/soccer, trolley/cart  panty hose/tights, pants/trousers on and on ad infinitum.

It leads to all sorts of confusion in our house,eg. did you mean English chips or fries or crisps. How can you have a world football match, when only America plays it. Not forgetting, how can you even call it football when feet go nowhere near a ball. ?

I need to go now, I can feel myself getting wound up !!!