Author Topic: Happy Longerdays!  (Read 23772 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Happy Longerdays!
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2024, 09:52:49 pm »
I'm calling the kitty to come in a full hour earlier than at the height of the summer. It is very enjoyable to  hear the crickets rev up their song and to enjoy "l'heure bleue" or twilight beginning at around 6:30 pm. I was coming  home from the church picnic then, and quite a few cars had their lights on already. That's going too far IMHO.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2024, 09:42:43 pm »
Today I noticed a tree that had begun to drop its leaves.

I also saw a news article that indicated we will have a warmer than "normal" fall here.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2024, 01:35:28 pm »
I've noticed that the berries on the dogwood trees at the house are beginning to turn red.

Yesterday I saw a tree in Philadelphia that had begun to drop its leaves.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2024, 04:31:59 pm »
The Farmer's Almanac predicts we're going to have a colder, snowier winter than normal here. Last winter was great -- warmish (for the season in MN), only 14" of snow until a late spring snowstorm added a few more (the pervious year it as 90" -- I think both broke records).

Anyway, though, the spring and summer have been hellish -- rains practically ever day, often *extremely* hard rains where there's hardly any space between the drops, the kind you'd normally only have once a summer. Gardens aren't doing well, the electricity in my building has gone out four times. So if this is the price we're paying for a mild winter, I guess I'd rather have a normal winter. Kind of bummed, though, because we're going to be required to go into the office three days a week  :o  >:(  starting in mid-September.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2024, 08:38:17 pm »
Kind of bummed, though, because we're going to be required to go into the office three days a week  :o  >:(  starting in mid-September.

That must suck when you get so much snow during the winter.  :(

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2024, 03:56:05 pm »
That must suck when you get so much snow during the winter.  :(

Well, up until recently that's just how it was. Especially as a newspaper reporter, if there was a big snowstorm they wanted people to come into work anyway to cover it.

But now I'm used to not having to worry about it. For the past three winters I haven't had to drive in snow or shovel snow. And since I now park in a heated underground garage, I don't have to get into a cold car as often.

I'm sure if there's a big storm they'll be fairly flexible about letting people stay home, though. They never were before, but now we all see that reporters can do most things from home. And editors can do all things. Photographers, unfortunately, have to venture out.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2024, 04:35:47 pm »
All summer long I would occasionally see a single squirrel munching on seeds underneath the bird feeder. This afternoon there were three at one time. I wonder if this could be a sign of the impending change of seasons?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2024, 06:51:39 pm »
If you refuse to observe the Labor Day weekend as the end of summer, does that mean that summer never ends? At least until September 21?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2024, 09:59:26 pm »
All summer long I would occasionally see a single squirrel munching on seeds underneath the bird feeder. This afternoon there were three at one time. I wonder if this could be a sign of the impending change of seasons?

I'm sure this doesn't signify anything, but after I wrote this I saw four blue jays in the backyard at the same time. I'd never seen that before.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2024, 11:13:17 am »
Well, up until recently that's just how it was. Especially as a newspaper reporter, if there was a big snowstorm they wanted people to come into work anyway to cover it.

But now I'm used to not having to worry about it. For the past three winters I haven't had to drive in snow or shovel snow. And since I now park in a heated underground garage, I don't have to get into a cold car as often.

I'm sure if there's a big storm they'll be fairly flexible about letting people stay home, though. They never were before, but now we all see that reporters can do most things from home. And editors can do all things. Photographers, unfortunately, have to venture out.

I think offices are having a difficult time getting people to come into the office to work now, especially since everyone found out just how much of their jobs can be done at home.

My company has asked people to come in twice a week.  Some are upset by this, the way I look at it, before Covid we were going in 5 days without complaint, I can give them two days.

I go in every Monday and Tuesday.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!