Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2669609 times)

Offline dejavu

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #2770 on: November 22, 2007, 06:04:06 pm »
Truman,

That was indeed a moving and heartfelt post.  We didn't get to know each other very in San Francisco, but I certainly remember you from the night of the dance after the rodeo.  I was the one who kept asking Chuck, "Now what was his name again?"  And Chuck kept saying, "Truman.  Remember the president."  And then half an hour later I'd think, "Monroe?  Roosevelt?  No..."

But I know your name now, and hopefully will see you again someday.  And let's all be thankful for everything that has turned out well this year.

And Meryl, Happy Turkey Day to you, too.  I'll be seeing you again in NYC, I'm sure.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #2771 on: November 22, 2007, 08:42:33 pm »
love to you, big brother!   ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #2772 on: November 23, 2007, 12:01:37 am »
I think I cry when I recognize something is authentic. It might be an emotion, it migh tbe the opening of a strip mall. I think when I recognize something that can only be detected with the heart, I am so happy, I cry.

I relate to this.  I almost always cry at the beginning of a performance when the audience around me starts clapping with excitement and hope.  I cry in crowds when there is singing.  I cry when there is unexpected sweetness or acceptance in TV shows.  I used to always hide these tears as hard as I could, but with MiniMeno sitting right next to me, and so tuned in to me, I can't hide it from her.  So I found a name for it - "Happy tears."  MiniMeno and I comfortably say to each other, "That gives me happy tears."  I love her so much.  She's made my secret crying okay and good.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2773 on: November 23, 2007, 01:11:21 am »

Awww Elle, your daughter has a very good mom.  She is such a lucky girl.  You are going to always
have such a lovely bond.  {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}  janice

Beautiful mind

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #2774 on: November 23, 2007, 01:39:11 am »
When I first got online, back in 1998, the first thing I did was look up National Public Radio because I wanted to know what Sylvia Poggioli looked like.

I love this so much, Tru, that that was the first thing you looked up.  I can't believe how beautiful she is.  I've been listening to her for 20 years, I bet.  Thanks.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #2775 on: November 23, 2007, 01:40:00 am »
I love NPR!  It's essentially my only source of news.

I was introduced to it more than 20 years ago:  every night with Susan Stamberg and Noah Adams. 

Garrison Keillor every Saturday night!  I've seen him in person twice:  he tellls those stories without notes, it's amazing.  I miss "Hello, Love", the earlier opening song.  Powder Milk Biscuits makes me dance.

I fell for Terry Gross as well.  I heard her speak at Harvard and even got to meet her.  She's tiny and buys her clothes at GapKids.  90%+ of her interviews are done long-distance, even though she makes it sound as if she and her subject are in the same room. 

Here's a fantasy:  take Italian lessons with Sylvia Poggioli. Ahhh.

Oh yeah!  Mwa!  I want to be Terry Gross when I grow up. 

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #2776 on: November 23, 2007, 01:43:32 am »
Terry is particularly good at interviewing musicians, I've noticed.  I understand her husband is somehow involved in jazz, a critic perhaps.

Musicians recovering from drug and alcohol addiction, in partickeler, it seems.  Country - jazz - opera - you name it, but with that running recovery theme.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #2777 on: November 23, 2007, 01:47:00 am »
I am going to get crucified for this, but someone once told me never underestimate the power of a woman who has been wronged.

Do you mean crucified by the ladyfolk who read here, Tru?  I'll agree with your statement, because never underestimate the power of a woman, period.  And add the fuel of being done wrong to her power, and whoo-eee, watch out!  Unless, she has learned that it's really not that satisfying to fuck up someone else's life just 'cause you're upset.  Then she has to learn to let go....

Thus endeth the speaking from experience on that one.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #2778 on: November 23, 2007, 01:58:31 am »
Well, I know you all wouldn't, and I appreciate that, and I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but there's something just not right when my cyber buddies remember my birthday and the buddies I rub elbows with at the bar every Saturday night don't remember it.  :-\

And it's not because they've never been told the date of my birthday.  :-\

Maybe they were just too drunk to remember.  Tell us, Jeff, we'll give you a great thread!  {{{Jeff}}}

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #2779 on: November 23, 2007, 02:12:49 am »
Okay, maybe someone out yonder can help me with this:

I want to get an inexpensive video camera, like under $200, and was wondering if anyone has any recomendations. I saw one at the maul for a hundred, and I would need to buy an additional card for it, it was very small and I wondered if it would be greater than cell phone quality. No one available to ask so I am still looking.

We needed to get new cell phones, so we paid $100 each (and had to switch to Sprint) for those new-fangled Palm Centros.  I LOVE it.  It's a phone/PDA/MP3 player/camera/web over cell phone lines, so I can come to BetterMost from anywhere with a cell phone signal (on a tiny screen).  And it has a camcorder in it of pretty good quality that can take a lot of minutes of video.  Pretty incredible.  $100.