Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2598283 times)

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #3720 on: January 29, 2008, 07:03:03 pm »
I miss Steve...he needs to check in.

enjoying your story Truman...you are right it is comforting to get back to a bit of 'normal'

and why is there not a thread on what did Jack tell Lureen? what was the consensus?

<smile> Here I am Jess brushing my amazing moustache. I think I'll find Chuck
and we can start the naughty whiskers talk again........LOL
I like the term amazing cause its about the only thang I have been able
to grow fer now <wink>

Steve

"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

injest

« Reply #3721 on: January 29, 2008, 07:46:12 pm »
<smile> Here I am Jess brushing my amazing moustache. I think I'll find Chuck
and we can start the naughty whiskers talk again........LOL
I like the term amazing cause its about the only thang I have been able
to grow fer now <wink>

Steve

:-X :-X

STEVE!!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #3722 on: January 29, 2008, 08:23:12 pm »
you have some of the remotest referrences of anyone i have ever met.  i never knew anyone that distantantly  related to me.   :-\   i guess that is what it is like to live where you grew up........ ;)  where
your family are all from.

Thus i have to borrow brothers from other place as far flung as mass. and Virginia............
Well one thing about that.......I get to pick my own........yeehaw

Well that is a good thing, because you can;t pick you kin people.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3723 on: January 29, 2008, 09:06:45 pm »
You don't know what dark is until you drive thru the Everglades after sundown.

The GPS device switched to a different color orientation once it got to be a certain time. We were headed east on I 75 and it would show us the roads from a slightly airborne orientation and the destination in the farground it labled as "sunrise". With the over castness there was no stars, no moon, only the book on tape about a murder in the Everglades after Hurricane Simone the link with the world, and the other cars. The GPS would tell us how many miles to the next turn, how many miles to the destination, our anticipated arrival time, how far in the future that was and when for some reason I would not take the turn it told me to it would ask me in a non judgemental tone "Do you want to recalculate?"

Miami was a maze of asphalt, as was the road around Homestead, but beyond that was construction, a new road to replace the existing one, that dove and rebounded over different incantations of asphalt, hurling into the unknown based on what we could see in the head lights at 70 mph. Wondering, what do this look like?

Soon enough we reached Key Largo, home of the African Queen, the real boat used in the movie, and our accommodations, a two floor one bedroom two full bath condo a full story off the ground. On the back side was a canal and across it a bar with a stage and a band that played every night, drinking music. Why don;t we get drunk and screw kind of music. The bed much softer than the slab Disney provided us with.

And the next day. Saturday, the 19th of January, AD 2008, the sun came out, and it reached 86 degrees Fahrenheit, I would guess that to be some where about 25-30 degrees Celsius. In the space under the abode was a place selling snorkeling packages. I had the opportunity to try that in Hawai'i once, but not the funds, so we signed up, me still having that image in my head of the hunky instructor and his minions in a tidal pool in Kona. Naw, when we got down there at noon, noon on a perfect August afternoon in January, we were shown the boat. A three hour tour, c'mon lil' buddy. 

My people crossed the Atlantic, most of them, in boats. I have crossed it by air. I have swam in it, I have been on the Chesapeake Bay, I have been on Massachusetts Bay, and seen whales. I had never actually been on the Atlantic Ocean in a boat before. It was wonderful. With about 10 others we motored our the canal, past multimillion dollar concrete monstrosities to the open water and took off. We climbed to the upper deck where the wheelman directed us to the Grecian Rocks, a coral reef about a mile off short, where waves broke over the living obstacle. Green water, tropical water, the water of rum drinks and tiki lamps. We were given the lecture, don;t panic, don;t touch the coral, and our gear was passed out.

Now if you are male or otherwise have facial hair, let me give you a word of advice, shave before you go. I had not shaved in several days and the guide told me I should grab some vaseline to put on the area below me nose to effect a seal with the mask which covered my nostrils. It was bad news as I could never get a good seal and water would leak in and flood my nostrils, and mess with me mind trying to breath thru the snorkel, that is, after I got in the water. Mask, Snorkel, Flippers.

"The sea is rough" they told us when we got there. "Much rougher than this morning" Indeed it was, and I got on the end of that boat and looked at that undulating green water and I was suddenly standing on a rock above a river in Alberta where my friends had disappeared into and reemerged. OMG this was serious shit. I eased myself into the tumult, he was long gone to the reef, with hoards from ours and another boat anchored nearby. I held onto the ladder and others could not take it and climbed back aboard. I made myself put my face in the water, made myself document with the underwater disposable camera I paid too much for, that I was  there. And then I let go. I was loose, for a few seconds, adrift on the ocean, in 10 feet of water, I could see the bottom easily. I went in and out of the water a few times, holding on to the nylon line, reeling myself in and out, trying to swim away from the boat, but it was all so disorienting. All so wonderful. Putting my face into the water and seeing that world I had only seen on TV, it is real.

We all came back on board and headed in and I felt like the king of the world, salt water spraying in my face, and a guide giving me his Wendy's cheese burger, still warm.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3724 on: January 29, 2008, 09:41:25 pm »
I had found a figurine, a hand holding the wrapping for some flowers in miniature, made in Japan, someone had painted its fingernails and perhaps someone remembered the photos of the first part of the Statue of Liberty the French had sent over in the 19th century. Granny wrapped it in newspaper and the grandson ran back and forth betwixt the heater and the cash till, calling out the change as he counted it.

Packed back in the car, we headed back to the parkway, and headed north. Stopping at Mabry's Mill, one of the most photographed places in the world for sure. I reveled in showing Paul a display where Connecticut had claimed it for its own.

Chuck also got an opportunity to confront his fear of bees, when I pointed out his performance had taken place under a dormant Hornet nest. It was quite and still and ice clung to the mill race and wheel. No one but the four of us there. And the ducks, who were so hopeful for a hand out their muttering could talk one another into believing it was to be.

And then it was time to climb the mountain. But to do so we had to find it first and that is always a challenge for me somehow. I always turn off too soon or try to remember the way with me haid in sted of me heart and it took a while to find Moles Road, but eventually we did, and passed the two 1960s motor boat hulls that mush have been deposited there by tornado. On to the parking area, but it didn;t look right.

I had last been there the first weekend in August, me and my friend Carol had followed the old road bed cut for the old radio tower now long gone. Now there was a new trail, and the old road bed looked as if it had been abandoned for decades. Okay then, this is the way, me in my genuine animal hide boots from the LaHonda rodeo, a virginal experience for all of us.

Chuck's grandmother, transplanted to Pennsylvania, had been able to charm snakes. She was apparently sought out for her talent. Still, I was glad it was January when we crossed the designated Rattlesnake Area. And when the top was within sight, limits were being reached.

I don;t remember if I told my friend I was not going to quit him, I should have if I didn;t. It was too near to quit, and it was not a race. We'd just take it slow. Cuss our couch potato selves. In no time at all we were there, the top of Buffalo Mountain. The top of the visible world, suspended above every day concerns. My mind still, wants to be there. With Chuck, writing  spontaneous poem into the book hikers book recently installed at the summit, Paul, camera in hand and Wulf, surveying the world below.  Not as much Brokeback as Priscilla, the air clean, and our wits all about us. A signal on the cell phone, connecting us with the world out there.

But the world right there, was pretty nice. 

I showed the the rock where a hundred years ago men in ties and jackets and women in long white dress had gathered on an Easter Sunday to be photographed, before drunkeness and fighting broke out. I helped Chuck refashion a piece of Jewelry to include a stone from the summit. We saw Pilot Mountain and somewhere betwixt there and it our home, unseen to our eyes. I wished Jack and Rich and nameless others could have been there. Never enough time, to even stop and appreciate. We were being called by food and time.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #3725 on: January 30, 2008, 12:23:42 pm »

Those are some amazing pics, Truman.  The three mousekiteers, and silly chuckie.
i love those.

Beautiful mind

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #3726 on: January 30, 2008, 12:28:13 pm »
The three mousekiteers, and silly chuckie.  i love those.

;) ;D :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #3727 on: January 30, 2008, 03:15:37 pm »
I was there!
If you heard the faint laughter of a child and heard the splashing in the small pond at the foot of the mill, that was me.
Well, the ghost of the boy I once was. He stil llives there ya know even if that reality only exists in my mind. It's always summer and he is with his Nannie at the church picnic circa 1970.
I was there as my name was on your lips and my memory was in your heart.
You called me and gave me greetings from atop Buffalo Mountain.
I was there!
I love you all for bringing me along!!
 :-*

I had found a figurine, a hand holding the wrapping for some flowers in miniature, made in Japan, someone had painted its fingernails and perhaps someone remembered the photos of the first part of the Statue of Liberty the French had sent over in the 19th century. Granny wrapped it in newspaper and the grandson ran back and forth betwixt the heater and the cash till, calling out the change as he counted it.

Packed back in the car, we headed back to the parkway, and headed north. Stopping at Mabry's Mill, one of the most photographed places in the world for sure. I reveled in showing Paul a display where Connecticut had claimed it for its own.

Chuck also got an opportunity to confront his fear of bees, when I pointed out his performance had taken place under a dormant Hornet nest. It was quite and still and ice clung to the mill race and wheel. No one but the four of us there. And the ducks, who were so hopeful for a hand out their muttering could talk one another into believing it was to be.

And then it was time to climb the mountain. But to do so we had to find it first and that is always a challenge for me somehow. I always turn off too soon or try to remember the way with me haid in sted of me heart and it took a while to find Moles Road, but eventually we did, and passed the two 1960s motor boat hulls that mush have been deposited there by tornado. On to the parking area, but it didn;t look right.

I had last been there the first weekend in August, me and my friend Carol had followed the old road bed cut for the old radio tower now long gone. Now there was a new trail, and the old road bed looked as if it had been abandoned for decades. Okay then, this is the way, me in my genuine animal hide boots from the LaHonda rodeo, a virginal experience for all of us.

Chuck's grandmother, transplanted to Pennsylvania, had been able to charm snakes. She was apparently sought out for her talent. Still, I was glad it was January when we crossed the designated Rattlesnake Area. And when the top was within sight, limits were being reached.

I don;t remember if I told my friend I was not going to quit him, I should have if I didn;t. It was too near to quit, and it was not a race. We'd just take it slow. Cuss our couch potato selves. In no time at all we were there, the top of Buffalo Mountain. The top of the visible world, suspended above every day concerns. My mind still, wants to be there. With Chuck, writing  spontaneous poem into the book hikers book recently installed at the summit, Paul, camera in hand and Wulf, surveying the world below.  Not as much Brokeback as Priscilla, the air clean, and our wits all about us. A signal on the cell phone, connecting us with the world out there.

But the world right there, was pretty nice. 

I showed the the rock where a hundred years ago men in ties and jackets and women in long white dress had gathered on an Easter Sunday to be photographed, before drunkeness and fighting broke out. I helped Chuck refashion a piece of Jewelry to include a stone from the summit. We saw Pilot Mountain and somewhere betwixt there and it our home, unseen to our eyes. I wished Jack and Rich and nameless others could have been there. Never enough time, to even stop and appreciate. We were being called by food and time.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3728 on: January 30, 2008, 03:44:27 pm »
It's always summer and he is with his Nannie at the church picnic circa 1970.

Church picnic? Did ya'll sing?  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #3729 on: January 30, 2008, 03:45:13 pm »
Church picnic? Did ya'll sing?  ;)
Oh yeah
We sang on the bus all up through the mountains.
then we sang when we got there.
I remember singing Father Abraham
Buh Buh Bub Bubblin
and every old hymn known to Chirsendom

"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"