Author Topic: What Would Jack Want for Ennis?  (Read 3284 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
What Would Jack Want for Ennis?
« on: June 06, 2007, 10:15:27 pm »
If we can imagine Jack from beyond the grave looking down on Ennis (maybe in the form of wind tickling the waving grass outside Ennis's trailer window), what do we think Jack would want for Ennis at the end of the film/story?  Ennis is essentially in the role of a widower here or the survivor.  He's Rich not Earl (probably especially in Ennis's own mind since he firmly believes in the murder scenario regarding Jack's death).  It seems pretty clear that Ennis has grown and evolved through the course of the movie/story, and seems to have changed quite a lot following Jack's death.  What will Ennis do with what he's learned?

Jack would probably be delighted that Ennis found the shirts and met his mother.  He'd probably be very pleased to see Ennis agree to attend Junior's wedding and to put love at the top of his list of priorities when questioning Junior about her relationship with Kurt.  And, Ennis's enigmatic vow of "I swear" to Jack and the shirts would be like a dream come true for Jack. 

But what would Jack like to see Ennis do for himself following all of this? 

In our imaginary view of Ennis's future beyond the end of the film/story, how would Ennis best honor Jack's memory and the significance of their relationship? 
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

Re: What Would Jack Want for Ennis?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 12:36:57 pm »
Hmm ... interesting question!  :)

I guess he'd probably want Ennis to become more comfortable with himself, to lead a more contented life. Maybe even find someone else, if he were feeling particularly generous.

I think you're right that he'd be very happy to hear the "I swear." Though also wistful that he never got to hear it earlier.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 01:22:14 pm »
Jack Would want nothing but happiness for Ennis.
But I also think of Jack looking down and waiting like Ennis did when Jack was on his way to the reunion.
It's so sad to think about for me.
Again, I think he's just want Ennis to be happy and comfortable in his own skin for a change and to be at peace with himself and his life.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 01:29:02 pm »

I figured that Ennis learned to take love, and lovedones where he found them.  Expressed by his change of plans, in order to attend Jrs wedding.  He realized hold to what you have, because it may not always be there.  I always thought he would have someone new, if he was able to come out of the lonely old walls he surrounded himself with.......I cant hardly stand the thought of him spending the rest of his days in a self inflicted cage.....sob

Beautiful mind

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 01:30:56 pm »
I cant hardly stand the thought of him spending the rest of his days in a self inflicted cage.....sob

Me neither. I figure if theres hope for Ennis, theres hope for me.
So I can't think of that.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 03:18:58 pm »
I think you're right that he'd be very happy to hear the "I swear." Though also wistful that he never got to hear it earlier.

You killt me dead here. I'm crying again. God, I remember more than a year ago someone asked on imdb when the tears will stop. A year has gone by since then, a whole year. But still..... :'(

Yes, I also think Jack would have been very happy about Ennis's evolvement. Seeing Ennis with his parents would have meant a world to him.
I think Jack would want that Ennis continues to grow and to feel more comfortable with himself and his life and that he finds someone else. That's what you wish for when you love someone. And I think there's hope that the first part comes true, at least to a certain degree. But I don't think Ennis will ever find someone else for two, no three reasons: first, I think he won't get comfortable enough to be free for another relationship. Second I think Ennis is a one man man. He loves Jack period.  And third, I think he won't live long enough to reach an age in which you kinda stand above ordidinary affairs, above rules that society puts on you (and there are many people who live really long without ever gaining this freedom and relaxed manner). I'm still with Jeff (Wrangler) on this: I think hard outdoor work, poor diet and health care, plus cigarettes and booze will put an early end to Ennis   :(.

But no, I don't see Ennis's future all in black. I hope that he will have grandchildren pretty soon and will be a loving and doting grandpa and hopefully will be really close to his daughters and grandchildren and find love and contentment in that.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 12:23:52 am »
Thanks for all your input Buds!

I think this is a difficult issue, especially trying to consider it from Jack's perspective. 

It seems almost unquestionably clear that Ennis is unlikely to find a great, true love like Jack again.  But, has Ennis accepted himself enough by the end of the movie to consider that it might be worthwhile for him to go out and find another man as a companion?  Is there any possible double-significance to Ennis's statement to Junior that they can "find themselves a new cowboy"?  Is Ennis capable, by the end of the movie/story to find another cowboy for himself?  Is Ennis self-aware enough to even contemplate this?

My opinion is that Jack loved Ennis enough to want him to not be alone for the remainder of his days, while at the same time acknowledging that Jack was the main and most significant relationship to grace Ennis's life.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 12:32:43 am »
has Ennis accepted himself enough by the end of the movie to consider that it might be worthwhile for him to go out and find another man as a companion?

I was about to say, "No way." I can maybe, maybe picture Ennis falling in love again but only by circumstance and serendipity, as he did with Jack, never by deliberately seeking it out. But then when you said ...

Is there any possible double-significance to Ennis's statement to Junior that they can "find themselves a new cowboy"?

... I thought, well, that COULD be a clue ...  ???

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 01:20:33 am »
The more I think about this question... the question about Ennis's future following the end of the story/movie the more impassioned I get lately (this is probably just the current bee in my bonnet... although, it's also a question capable of bringing me almost to tears in serious moments).

Proulx gave her reads the instructive to "finish the story in our own lives" and its an important imperative here at BetterMost as a goal for all of us.  For Ennis too, this remains an open question.  He concludes the story/film with a half-completed sentence... "Jack, I swear..."  Of course, everyone loves to try to figure that one out.  And, it seems to conclude things in a positive light (very ambiguous... but it suggests positive things... I think to most of us at least).  The story also ends at almost the exact definition of "mid-life" for Ennis- age 40.  If he lives out a full life-span he would have almost exactly half his life left to lead.  Is it acceptable that he would spend up to 40 years (maximum) confined, alone to a small trailer?

What next for Ennis?  What is the best we can hope for from Ennis (i.e. what would Jack want for Ennis?)?

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 08:01:19 am »
Well now Amanda, when you put it like that, I guess we need to think what would we want for ourselves.
For me being Ennis to the core I have made that decision.
I am coming out of the little tin trailer, closet, prison etc and accepting myself for who and what i am for the first time in my 40yrs.
Again, I would say I think Jack would just want Ennis to be happy and comfortable in his own skin for a change and to be at peace with himself and his life.
I think thats the best any of us can hope for.