Author Topic: An American Girl in Paris  (Read 38504 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
An American Girl in Paris
« on: June 19, 2007, 08:49:17 pm »
OK, I'm going to start here.  If Jess wants to move this to the right forum, more power to 'em.

It's getting close!!!  In September, I'll be in Paris, France for the first time!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

After much research, since we're traveling very frugally, I think my sister and I have finally found a couple of hotels that aren't already booked and aren't on the corner of Crack and Addict or just across the street from it.  We've read other traveler reviews of the hotels, paid close attention when adjectives  such as 'quaint' and '19th' century were used, which usually means no elevator for a 5 story building.

Now, I'm looking for all kinds of advice and helpful hints and places I should absolutely not miss while there.  I have several guidebooks, but by all means let me hear your experiences.

Like I mentioned in another thread a long time ago, I usually eat very little while traveling overseas simply due to my digestive issues and likes and dislikes - I'm gluten sensitive (protein found in grains e.g. bread/cereal foods), I'm lactose intolerant (all milk products except for sour cream and yogurt), am allergic to all tropical fruits and fruits such as peaches, grapes, plums;  citrus fruits give me heart palpitations.  Eating these foods give me very uncomfortable and inconvenient body reactions.

Trying to find a bathroom in a foreign city while walking to see the sights is a very bad experience I want to avoid.  It happened to me in London (a side affect from airplane food) but I was with a London friend at the time and he directed me to a bathroom in his favorite pub and later (yes, another attack a few minutes later) to a bathroom in an art museum.

I spent the rest of my London trip eating mostly candy bars and diet Pepsi (the only diet soda sold in London apparently). 

Sadly, I don't drink coffee nor wine unless it's a very expensive wine.

Yeah, seems like Paris is a wash for me as far as food is concerned.  :(

So, I'm a salad, eggs and meat kinda girl, so if you guys can help me in the food area too, that would be great.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: An American Girl in Paris
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 11:11:22 pm »
France has good yogurt.  Also, meat stores whee the meat is cooked already is called a charcuterie, and you can get really yummy smoked meats there. 

(Always carry your own toilet paper.  Just since that's already been a topic.)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 07:15:20 am »
Someone suggested this to me, and it turned out to be good advice...

On the day you arrive, when you are battling jet lag, take a boat ride on the Seine. It is a good way to get a good overview of the city, see the famous bridges, and get a sense of where the major landmarks are. Since you are riding on a boat, you are not using a ton energy hiking around.

Personal safety warning: keep your purse, wallet, camera, etc., close to you. There are pickpockets!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 07:50:54 am »
Salad, meat and eggs? I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding something to your taste in Paris. Can I suggest fries instead of eggs? Then go to 'Le Relais de l'Entrecote' and have the best steak and fries you've ever had. There are two in Paris, Rue Marbeuf 15 and Rue Saint-Benoît 20. The  one we visited was the Saint-Benoît one, it was in the Saint-Germain-des-Prés district. We had sunday lunch there, the place was packed with parisiens and they only serve one meal! We didn't know this going in but it turned out to be great. A mixed salad with excellent vinaigrette for starters and then a fantastic, succulent steak with french fries! We were a happy bunch!  :)

I agree with Leslie, the boat ride on the Seine (with the 'bateau mouche'  :)) is a great idea. We spent a couple of days in Paris last June with our kids and the boat ride was one of their favorites.

And you get a good view of the Eiffel Tower as it's right next to the Seine. (and pass Alma Bridge ) 

Not far from the Eiffel Tower is the Rodin Museum, don't miss that. It has a beautiful garden and of course 'The Kiss' by Rodin.

We really enjoyed Beaubourg, (a modern art complex) with all the crazy scuptures. A very nice relaxed atmosphere, lots of street performers and outside cafés.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 08:35:20 am »
I can't offer any advice, but I can say I'm happy for you to have the opportunity to make the trip!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 08:52:13 am »
Del, that's great!  I love Paris, and hope you will too.

Regarding food, it's not that difficult to eat according to your specs.  In fact, a ubiquitous thing is called "salade lyonnaise" which is frisee lettuce with bacon and eggs (usually runny soft-boiled):  excellent lunch.  Just skip the croutons.  You can find this and many other "composed salads" at almost any cafe. 

BTW, the bathrooms in Paris have improved considerably from the days of two-footprints-and-a-whole-in-the-floor.

Do you know any French?  It really helps to learn a little, especially the basic polite phrases.  A little can go a long way and distinguish you from the "typical" American who shouts in English. 

Definitely explore the Marais neighborhood:  funky, rising, gay-friendly, great shops and cafes.  The Picasso Museum is there (a little hard to find, but worth it), and the famous Place des Vosges:

When you arrive, I suggest buying a copy of "Pariscope", a little magazine with all the cultural and cinematic happenings for the week.  There is/was a small section in English.  There are concerts practically every night of the week, often in a church.  My favorite is the Sainte-Chapelle:  a gem of 13th century high Gothic architecture.  It's currently surrounded by now-government buildings, and you have to go through airport-like security, but well-worth it.  I have heard Baroque chamber music there, and also traditional Algerian music.  With the light coming through the stained-glass windows, it's like being in heaven.

Bonne vacances!

Paul

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 09:03:07 am »
Like I mentioned in another thread a long time ago, I usually eat very little while traveling overseas simply due to my digestive issues and likes and dislikes - I'm gluten sensitive (protein found in grains e.g. bread/cereal foods), I'm lactose intolerant (all milk products except for sour cream and yogurt), am allergic to all tropical fruits and fruits such as peaches, grapes, plums;  citrus fruits give me heart palpitations.  Eating these foods give me very uncomfortable and inconvenient body reactions.

Hey Del, I'm lactose intolerant too. I suggest to tell the waiter in advance about your food allergies. Try to get them go to the kitchen to make sure whatever you are ordering has no dairy or gluten in it. It works for me, however I have to be a bit dramatic sometimes to get them understand it is a bad problem.

Also, in Europe Diet Coke is called Coca Cola light.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 04:00:13 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 09:31:02 am »
Oh yes, I loved Sainte Chappelle...it was beautiful.

The Musee d'Orsay was also great.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 08:53:48 pm »
Thanks for all the help so far guys.  :-*

For you in the know, do Paris cafes have alternate sweetners like Equal, SweetnLow or Splenda?  I’m thinking I’m going to have to take my own.

And do you wait to be seated at most cafes or do you just sit down and waiters come to you?

Ellemeno

France has good yogurt.  Also, meat stores whee the meat is cooked already is called a charcuterie, and you can get really yummy smoked meats there.

Great!  Am writing this name down.

(Always carry your own toilet paper.  Just since that's already been a topic.)

Check.

Leslie

On the day you arrive, when you are battling jet lag, take a boat ride on the Seine. It is a good way to get a good overview of the city, see the famous bridges, and get a sense of where the major landmarks are. Since you are riding on a boat, you are not using a ton energy hiking around.

Really?  I’ve heard the exact opposite.  I’ve heard that no matter what time you arrive, force yourself to acclimatize to their time immediately (if you arrive during their day, stay awake, if you arrive during the night, make yourself sleep).

I’ve only been overseas once before and if I suffered jetlag, I didn’t know it.

I was SO pumped and wound up to be in London on my own, that once I got to my hotel (it was mid-morning and I’d been on a plane since 1pm the day before) - I changed and promptly went for a long long walk. I made some calls to let everyone know I’d arrived.  I checked out the neighborhood, then walked up to Hyde Park for a few hours, then ducked into Harrods on my way back, and got some take-out from there, started back to the hotel to eat, got lost in the diplomats’ home part of town, made it back to the hotel, ate dinner, went out again to go to the chemist’s for giftwrap and tape for my London friend’s gift.  On the way back, I found a grocery store, bought a snack and a soda and by the time I got back to the hotel, it was full on dark and I was ready to settle in, read a bit and sleep. 

The flight to Paris is little more than an hour and half longer than to London, so I’m not expecting to feel much different.

Personal safety warning: keep your purse, wallet, camera, etc., close to you. There are pickpockets!

*sigh*  Thanks.

belbbm

Salad, meat and eggs? I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding something to your taste in Paris. Can I suggest fries instead of eggs? Then go to 'Le Relais de l'Entrecote' and have the best steak and fries you've ever had. There are two in Paris, Rue Marbeuf 15 and Rue Saint-Benoît 20. The  one we visited was the Saint-Benoît one, it was in the Saint-Germain-des-Prés district. We had sunday lunch there, the place was packed with parisiens and they only serve one meal! We didn't know this going in but it turned out to be great. A mixed salad with excellent vinaigrette for starters and then a fantastic, succulent steak with french fries! We were a happy bunch!   

Yes!  I can eat potatoes!  Steak and a salad.  Sounds yummy.  Thanks!!

I agree with Leslie, the boat ride on the Seine (with the 'bateau mouche'   ) is a great idea. We spent a couple of days in Paris last June with our kids and the boat ride was one of their favorites.

Check.

Not far from the Eiffel Tower is the Rodin Museum, don't miss that. It has a beautiful garden and of course 'The Kiss' by Rodin.

We really enjoyed Beaubourg, (a modern art complex) with all the crazy scuptures. A very nice relaxed atmosphere, lots of street performers and outside cafés.

Writing this all down. ;D

Paul

I hope I love Paris, too.  I wasn’t originally very enthused about the trip.  Paris is my sister’s dream city destination, like London was mine.  I was absolutely blasé about the trip until I actually started making the plans, now I’m really excited about it.  Guess I just like traveling.  :)

Regarding food, it's not that difficult to eat according to your specs.  In fact, a ubiquitous thing is called "salade lyonnaise" which is frisee lettuce with bacon and eggs (usually runny soft-boiled):  excellent lunch.  Just skip the croutons.  You can find this and many other "composed salads" at almost any cafe.

And I also read about salade nicoise?  Something like that?

Do you know any French?  It really helps to learn a little, especially the basic polite phrases.  A little can go a long way and distinguish you from the "typical" American who shouts in English.

No, and that worries me a great deal.  I am teaching myself how to count to twenty in French, the cardinal directions which is useful in the Metro and on maps and other important words like "right/left", "up/down", "higher/lower", "near/far", “where is -” “how much -“ and “get lost/beat it/scram”.  But at least I know Spanish, so I have another language option.  I just have to figure out how to say ‘Spanish’ in French so I’ll know how to ask people if they know how to speak it.  ;D 

Definitely explore the Marais neighborhood:  funky, rising, gay-friendly, great shops and cafes.  The Picasso Museum is there (a little hard to find, but worth it), and the famous Place des Vosges

One of our hotel options is in the 4eme in the Marais neighborhood!  I read it was the gay part of town and thought that a definite plus as far as safety from men getting pushy for two single women.  But my sister’s French friend who is a cop – gendarme? – of some sort, said our hotel option in 7eme was safer and nicer.  Which is strange for him to say so since I think he’s either a transsexual or a really butch lesbian.

Opinionista

Hey Del, I'm lactose intolerant too. I suggest to tell the waiter in advance about your food allergies. Try to get them go to the kitchen to make sure whatever you are ordering has no dairy or gluten in it. It works for me, however I have to be a bit dramatic sometimes to get them understand it is a bad problem.

Gah.  :-\  OK, if the waiters speak English/Spanish, I’ll ask.  Otherwise, I’ll just pick at my food.

Also, in Europe Diet Coke is called Coca Cola light.

LOL!  Thanks.  Guess I already know a "Royale with Cheese"  ;)  My sister could never find lemonade in London, they always kept serving her lemon-lime soda.  But I found the words for a lemonade in French.  She has it written down.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 12:04:56 am »
Del, you're in luck!  In French, "espagnol" is pronounced almost exactly like "español" is in Spanish. 

So you can check that one off your list!  :)