Author Topic: An American Girl in Paris  (Read 38190 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: An American Girl in Paris
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 12:07:21 am »
I'm seeing a trip to Paris for some travelin' little Brokies in the future....  :)

Del, I have a good French accent (I learned it as a child).  Whenever I'm floundering for vocabulary, people tell me my accent is excellent.  :)  I'd be happy to help with pronunciation over the phone or sumpn. 

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 12:33:10 am »
Really?  I’ve heard the exact opposite.  I’ve heard that no matter what time you arrive, force yourself to acclimatize to their time immediately (if you arrive during their day, stay awake, if you arrive during the night, make yourself sleep).

The New York Times, for some reason, recommends eating lots of dried cherries on the plane over as a jet-lag remedy. I recommended this to Chrissi when she came here for the BBQ, and Elle helpfully bought her some dried cherries, and she didn't like them so she REFUSED TO TAKE HER MEDICINE. ::) :laugh:  :-* (Admittedly, she seemed to do fine without them.  :laugh:) So we still don't know if they actually work. But it's worth a try. I have heard that jet lag is worse going from here to Europe than the other way around. My experience has been, I'm pretty zoned out the first day and after that I'm fine.

I am teaching myself how to count to twenty in French, the cardinal directions which is useful in the Metro and on maps and other important words like "right/left", "up/down", "higher/lower", "near/far", “where is -” “how much -“ and “get lost/beat it/scram”.  But at least I know Spanish, so I have another language option.  I just have to figure out how to say ‘Spanish’ in French so I’ll know how to ask people if they know how to speak it.  ;D 

Between now and September, you could learn quite a lot of French if you bought a set of French-teaching CDs and listened to them in the car or whenever you have a chance -- taking a bath, washing dishes ... I did that before going to Italy a couple of years ago and although I was pretty remiss about the lessons (I listened to them in the car -- that is, whenever I didn't feel like listening to music or silence!) I actually found that even what little I picked up was quite valuable once I got there for basic things. And my friend Leigh, who was more responsible with the CDs, was popular everywhere we went for her mastery of the language.

Besides, if you already know Spanish, you're halfway there.

Some programs are better than others for travelers. For instance, some will focus on fundamental grammar and lines like, "Bonjour Mademoiselle, how are you today?" and "I search for a good wine in the cellar" (my most memorable line from the junior-high French filmstrip, "Je recherche un bon vin dans la cave"). While others will say, "Does this room come with a shower?" and "Do you have anything cheaper?" -- lines that might come in more handy.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 05:20:00 am »
Opinionista

Gah.  :-\  OK, if the waiters speak English/Spanish, I’ll ask.  Otherwise, I’ll just pick at my food.

A friend of mine was in Paris a few weeks ago and told me she noticed the number of Spanish speaking waiters in restaurants has increased in the past few years. Some are Ecuadorian immigrants. However, since Spain is a neighboring country, a lot of French speak Spanish or understand it to an extent. Be aware that some Parisians are rude. They're sick of tourists, but don't take it personal. It is not with you.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 06:32:47 am »

Really?  I’ve heard the exact opposite.  I’ve heard that no matter what time you arrive, force yourself to acclimatize to their time immediately (if you arrive during their day, stay awake, if you arrive during the night, make yourself sleep).

Yes, I agree with that. Get your body onto local time the minute you arrive. My suggestion was, when you get to the point of feeling a little tired, take the boat ride. You can sit there, relax, get your second wind, and still be doing some sightseeing.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 06:54:34 am »
I hadn't been in Paris in a while before we went there last year. What struck me was that so many waiters, hotel personel all insisted on speaking English to us! And we can speak French!! It was almost as if to make a point.

My English is better than my French, so I didn't mind too much...
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 08:35:01 am »
I spent a few hours in a French train station once. I had to ask a question at the information desk. Yay! Finally an opportunity to use my high school/college French. So I asked the question in my halting French. The woman behind the counter rolled her eyes and responded in English.  :laugh:

But later, I had to ask another question. I tried again, this time with a different railroad employee. "Est-ce que ce le train à Prague?" ("Is this the train to Prague?") "Oui," he said. Success!!  :D

Offline opinionista

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 12:34:57 pm »
Yes, I agree with that. Get your body onto local time the minute you arrive. My suggestion was, when you get to the point of feeling a little tired, take the boat ride. You can sit there, relax, get your second wind, and still be doing some sightseeing.

Leslie

Taking naps it is also a good idea. Helps you get through the day.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 12:47:24 pm »
Taking naps it is also a good idea. Helps you get through the day.

Now that's speakin' Spanish!  THe most civilized way to live.  :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 12:48:14 pm »

"Est-ce que ce le train à Prague?" ("Is this the train to Prague?") "Oui," he said. Success!!  :D

I've always wanted to go to Prague.  THose pictures I've seen of the roofs of Prague are amazing.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 03:29:46 pm »

I've always wanted to go to Prague.  THose pictures I've seen of the roofs of Prague are amazing.

I LOVED Prague, as well as the little towns in surrounding countryside. It was all very fairy-talish. Maybe we can hold the Brokeback BBQ 2011 there!  ;D