Author Topic: All kinds of everything....  (Read 7989 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
All kinds of everything....
« on: June 22, 2007, 10:36:07 am »
.... remind me of Brokeback Mountain.  :)

Now that I've reached a stage where I don't have that overwhelming urge to discuss and analyze every bit of the film 24/7, still there's so much that keep *reminding* me of the film. Small things, big things. I thought through it, and here's the top 10 of the (much longer list) of reminders I had no problem producing. Yup, BBM got me good!

•   The full moon (last full moon here was exceptionally bright and shiny around midnight, very worthy of an Ang Lee significant scene)

•   Sheep with new-born lambs……well, that would be half-grown lambs by now (Several fields around town here are full of sheep and lambs, so I get lots and lots of BBM reminders)

•   Driving long distances (I drove well over 500 kilometers a couple of weekends ago, and my thoughts sure went to Jack.  I hope his back hurt less than mine!)

•   Any image or mention of Wyoming or of Alberta mountain ranges (Upon reading Hillary Clinton’s “Living History”, one of the stories there that made a particular impression (all thanks to BBM) was the Clinton family and their Secret Service entourage camping out in the Grand Tetons. I envied them!)

•   King of the Road  (Heard a marching band playing this tune on Constitution Day last month and I sure enough did a BBM double-take )

•   Mention of anything remotely Rodeo related, however far out (yes, I was totally thinking about BBM while watching Borat’s rodeo stint in the cinema....)

•   That particular colour blue (Jack's shirt & eye colour – there are patches of wildflowers sporting just that colour these days)

•   Whiskey, in any bottle, shape or form. (Impossible to not look for the whiskey or to not send Jack and Ennis a thought now if visiting a pub or bar. Plus it’s tempting to ask whether there’s Old Rose for sale there, just on general principle.)

•   Camping gear, mini barbeque sets, and outdoors folding chairs (‘tis surely the season for all that)

•   Cher (both her music which I happened to have to listen to, some days back - and images of her, especially if wearing one of those explicit outré costumes….. I totally blame my stint as Monroe on the PT for this strange Cher fixation!)

(Mods, pls. feel free to merge this with another thread. I'm sure this must have been posted about before and at length somewhere, but my search didin't turn up a relevant thread.  Also, feel free to move to another part of the board. I figured this does in a way show "how the movie impacted me" though, so...here I am!  ;)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: All kinds of everything....
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 10:41:05 am »
It's the color blue that really resonates with me, too, Mikaela! And I would have to add... hailstorms!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 02:46:10 pm »
It's the color blue that really resonates with me, too, Mikaela! And I would have to add... hailstorms!!

We had a hailstorm today  :D. It brought happy memories:

Wyoming bid us farewell with a hailstorm when we were on our way back to Denver.

Denver bid me farewell with a hailstorm. Or you could look at it the other way round: the hailstrom kept me from leaving for a while, as I was actually sitting on the plane, which was ready to leave, when the hailstorm arrived at the airport.

And of course, I think of our boys and their hailstorm.

Yes, hailstorms are on my list of reminders, too  :).

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 08:20:17 pm »
Whiskey is big for me. My husband drinks whiskey. I rarely used to, but now I do now and then. I pour it right out of the bottle into a cute little spatterware cup that I received as a gift from a Brokie friend! Silently, I toast Jack and Ennis.

:)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 05:31:05 pm »
That's so sweet I feel like toasting *you*!  :)

Interesting about the hail storms. I must live in too quiet a little corner of the world, for I cannot remember ever seeing a hail storm like the one J&E experiences on the mountain. We do get hail sometimes, but not like that.

I was originally thinking about adding "cowboy hats" as a bonus point to my list, with a (duh) added because it's such an obvious reminder.  Then I figured; I *never* see cowboy hats, so there's noone around to remind me of J&E. Perhaps on TV if some western is on, but never in RL.  So whether or not they remind me of BBM is beside the point..... So I thought. Then today I was shopping for clothes and the store had these black and nature-coloured straw hats. I swear they looked almost *exactly* like the one Ennis dons when he's rushing out the door on Reunion day. So not only did a RL hat remind me of the guys after all, but  -of course-  I had to buy one. Now I only lack a blue and white striped shirt...  ;) 

I *almost* wore the hat when we went down to the midsummer fires along the beach this evening. But I didn't quite dare.  :-X

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 07:28:44 pm »
Then today I was shopping for clothes and the store had these black and nature-coloured straw hats. I swear they looked almost *exactly* like the one Ennis dons when he's rushing out the door on Reunion day. So not only did a RL hat remind me of the guys after all, but  -of course-  I had to buy one. Now I only lack a blue and white striped shirt...  ;) 

I *almost* wore the hat when we went down to the midsummer fires along the beach this evening. But I didn't quite dare.  :-X

Yay to Mikaela for her (probably) first cowboy hat!  :D

I feel like congratulating you to your purchase. It's a great thing to have, I think every Brokie should have a cowboy hat  ;).

I bought mine in the wake of the BBQ in Colorado, and I LOVE it  :). I wear it every time I go to the public bath (which is too seldom right now, because we have bad weather for more than a week now  >:(). If anyone had told me a year ago that I would wear a cowboy hat (straw) in public in Germany, I would have denied the possibility.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 08:53:32 pm »
That's so sweet I feel like toasting *you*!  :)

Thanks, Mikaela! :D I don't have any whiskey at the moment, but I'm raising a figurative spatterware cup right back at you!

Then I figured; I *never* see cowboy hats, so there's noone around to remind me of J&E. Perhaps on TV if some western is on, but never in RL.

You'll see plenty of them -- and yours will fit right in -- if you attend Brokeback BBQ 2008. In fact, you might feel underdressed if you DON'T have one.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 09:20:48 pm »
I have tiny and regular sized blue enamelware mugs that I use everyday.  So that reminds me.  I hadn't owned a pair of jeans in years til BBM, now I own two pairs that I wear frequently, so that reminds me.  Those are two things that I put in my own life, to feel more connected.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 09:24:03 pm »
Thanks for the plug for Brokeback Roundup 2008, ineed. The way things are going, we might be having it at OUR OWN little cow & calf operation in the Bighorn Mountains. Hardly possible even to dream of. But the place where we had the roadtrip is now up for sale at auction, believe it or not.

Everybody, be sure and post pictures of yourselves in your cowboy hats here on BetterMost! There's a thread in the Polling Place called "How Many Cowboy Hats Do You Have?"
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 09:52:59 pm »
Oh, and of course my ring tone on my cell phone, which instead of jarring me when it starts up, now sweeps me into revery by lilting "The Wings."  Oh yeah.