Author Topic: Gender, sexual orientation and power  (Read 14031 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Sex, sexuality and power
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 07:21:10 pm »
Well stated ladies.  I wonder if the same is true of gay men.  Do they think women also are
less than men?

Good question! Maybe we should just ask them directly. OK let's hear it, all you gay men out there: Who considers women to be inferior to men?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Kidding.

Or is that just a trait of the heterosexual male.. He just thinks as societal teaching
has made him believe.  The male sexual prowess makes him better than all others, along of course
with his supposed stronger physique.??  Giving way to the natural feelings of dominance, and superiority.?

That's another interesting question. How did men get so dominant and sexist in the first place? Is it because they're physically stronger? Or is it because killing animals and fighting wars (while women took care of children) made aggressiveness and power-grabbing evolutionarily adaptive traits?

I guess we're getting a little off the topic of Brokeback Slang. I'd be happy to start a whole thread on questions like these -- which I find fascinating -- if there are people interested in discussing them.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 07:30:06 pm by ineedcrayons »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Sex, sexuality and power
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 09:17:58 pm »
         Well stated ladies.  I wonder if the same is true of gay men.  Do they think women also are
less than men?  Or is that just a trait of the heterosexual male. 

Good question! Maybe we should just ask them directly. OK let's hear it, all you gay men out there: Who considers women to be inferior to men?

Nobody adores women like the men who aren't interested in having sex with them.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Sex, sexuality and power
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 11:00:17 pm »

Awww Jeff we can always depend on you to be the sweetie that you really are...

Beautiful mind

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Sex, sexuality and power
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 11:01:57 pm »
Nobody adores women like the men who aren't interested in having sex with them.  ;D

Perfect answer, Little Darlin'!  :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Sex, sexuality and power
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 04:49:00 am »
Except that, unfortunately, he doesn't really have the celebrity for the job of Oscar host, Ted the wine and food guy from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy came immediately to my mind when I read that phrase, "male Ellen." Very likeable and personable and completely nonthreatening.

Been a long time since I saw that show. What is his last name, anyway?  ???

is Ted Allen the one that ome of us think looks like DavidinHartford?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
Sex, sexuality and power
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2007, 11:55:10 am »

Not in some of the bars I've been in!   ;D

How did men get so dominant and sexist in the first place?

The lust for power.  Don't you want to have control of the situation? 

In the past physical strength (seen as a masculine trait) was very much a part of that.

Feminine is seen as weaker and less desirable in that context.  (This is not my personal view, don't be coming after me with no shotgun now!)

That's why lesbian (more like men) women are seen as more desirable and homosexual (less like men) men less desirable.

This selfish lust for power is being replaced in some quarters by the realization that everybody working together for our mutual benefit yields more economical, longer lasting results. 

The selfishness partly depends on whether you world view is "There's not enough to go around" or whether it's "Together we can make enough for everybody."

I guess my short version is it's a racket perpetrated by the "might makes right" crowd.

The ironic part of course is "It's the hand that rocks the cradle that rules the world."  So where are these men getting all these ideas from?

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
Sex, sexuality and power
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2007, 01:09:06 pm »
How did men get so dominant and sexist in the first place? Is it because they're physically stronger? Or is it because killing animals and fighting wars (while women took care of children) made aggressiveness and power-grabbing evolutionarily adaptive traits?

In cases of war, power-grabbing, ridiculously dangerous sports and aggression in general, I've come to think of men as the "testosterone-impaired."  Or perhaps "hormonally challenged" would be more p.c. today.  ;D

Yes, testosterone has brought us good things like survival of the fittest, inventions, great art and landing on the moon, but when put up against millions upon millions of war dead, genocide and power grabs over the millenia, I see it as a very mixed blessing.  :(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Clyde-B

Sex, sexuality and power
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2007, 01:37:00 pm »
In cases of war, power-grabbing, ridiculously dangerous sports and aggression in general, I've come to think of men as the "testosterone-impaired."  Or perhaps "hormonally challenged" would be more p.c. today.  ;D

Yes, testosterone has brought us good things like survival of the fittest, inventions, great art and landing on the moon, but when put up against millions upon millions of war dead, genocide and power grabs over the millenia, I see it as a very mixed blessing.  :(

Testosterone impaired!!!!!    :laugh:

Now come on, we all have our hormonal crosses to bear!

I think part of our task is to figure out what works best in spite of our biological difficulties.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Sex, sexuality and power
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2007, 01:48:51 pm »

And even those good accomplishments are questionable. Women have made great art, for example, and would have made still more. But sexist societies have a) kept them too busy with housework and child care to have time for art b) actively prevented them from making art c) suppressed what art they did make d) sometimes even forced them to credit males for the art they'd made.

So what men and women can accomplish or have accomplished should be seen in the context of what each has been allowed to do.

The ironic part of course is "It's the hand that rocks the cradle that rules the world."  So where are these men getting all these ideas from?

From women, in many cases. Women have absorbed society's sexist messages, too. For example, many Afghani women are pleased to don a burkha and accept other restrictions. Many American women refuse to consider themselves feminists.

Clyde, nice to see you joining us!  :)

Meryl, do you think we should start a new thread? I'd love to continue this discussion, but I don't want to keep people from posting actual Brokeback slang, and I want to make sure all of those who'd like to participate in a discussion of sex, sexuality and power know that it's going on.

Offline Clyde-B

Sex, sexuality and power
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2007, 02:03:23 pm »
And even those good accomplishments are questionable. Women have made great art, for example, and would have made still more. But sexist societies have a) kept them too busy with housework and child care to have time for art b) actively prevented them from making art c) suppressed what art they did make d) sometimes even forced them to credit males for the art they'd made.

So what men and women can accomplish or have accomplished should be seen in the context of what each has been allowed to do.

From women, in many cases. Women have absorbed society's sexist messages, too. For example, many Afghani women are pleased to don a burkha and accept other restrictions. Many American women refuse to consider themselves feminists.

Clyde, nice to see you joining us!  :)

Meryl, do you think we should start a new thread? I'd love to continue this discussion, but I don't want to keep people from posting actual Brokeback slang, and I want to make sure all of those who'd like to participate in a discussion of sex, sexuality and power know that it's going on.

Well, thank you for inviting me, latjoreme.

This verbal denigration of groups or individuals in order to hold on to power is quite common.  If you can get the people in the group you're trying to control to buy into the idea that you are superior to them, then you've got it made.  Women, gays and other minorities have been fed a steady line of this BS for how many years?

We are like Ennis, we must stop believing it as truth and start seeing it as propaganda and what it's purpose is.  Believing it is to enlist us against ourselves.