Author Topic: Greetings from Maui...NOW WITH SOME OF MY PIC's  (Read 7760 times)

vkm91941

Greetings from Maui...NOW WITH SOME OF MY PIC's
« on: April 30, 2006, 07:29:59 pm »
ROFLOL! Thought I would share little of the travelogue I send Mandy and Chris with you all. 8)

We have been having the best time.  We cannot believe how romantic this place it when you're here with the right person!

We arrived 45 minutes late on Friday, due to headwinds…but the limo was waiting and the driver took care of our luggage so we had no delays once we were on the ground.   The island is breath taking, I had forgotten how GREEN Hawaii is, the resort is gorgeous.  Our suite is on the ground floor with a private patio and hot tub that is surrounded by lush tropical vegetation with a path that opens onto a grassy slope the leads down to the rocks and the beach beyond.  So far it has been in the low 80’s during the day and  gloriously sunny with just a few clouds here and there.

Friday afternoon we just unpacked, walked around to orient ourselves and went for a swimming in the lagoon then laid out in the sun, had dinner in one of the restaurants here in the hotel, on the terrace over looking the ocean, afterward they had a small band for dancing so we danced under the stars.  It was VERY romantic LOL, the time caught up with us about 9:30 so we soaked in the hot tub and turned in realtively early.

Saturday we had breakfast bright and early on our own patio and then went out on the Catamaran and saw Sweetheart Rock and Molokini.   Molokini is a crescent moon-shaped islet located less than three miles off shore.  Legend has it that Molokini was once a beautiful woman. She and Pele the fire goddess were in love with the same man. The jealous Pele cut her rival in two and transformed her into stone. The woman’s head is supposedly Puu Olai, the cinder cone by Makena Beach.  We went snorkeling there. Gorgeous and there were lots of scuba divers.  We saw tons of tropical fish, but the most amazing was a mother humpback whale and her baby.

About 20 sea miles away, and standing 80 feet tall is Puu Pehe—also known as "Sweetheart Rock and like everything else around here it has a legend as well.   The story goes that a ravishing young princess was captured by a young warrior from the island of Lanai. He took her as his wife and brought her back to his home island. He was so stricken with her beauty that he was afraid to let other men see her, and thus he confined the princess to a sea cave near the rock.   One day, when he was away, the weather suddenly changed, and the raging surf began to pound. The warrior rushed back to the cave, but it was too late: His beloved Puu Pehe had drowned. Heartbroken, he retrieved her body climbed the steep rock island, where he buried her in a tomb. Overcome with grief, the warrior then leapt off the rock to his death.

Satruday night we went in to Lahaina for dinner, and to this live show called Ulalena, it’s a kind of Cirque du Solei’ meets Hawaiian mythology…really good, lighting, special effects, costumes, music and dance, engrossing the 75 minutes time just flew.

This morning  We rented a Jeep and went up into the hills to Upcountry Maui, home to the paniolo’s ( Hawaii's cowboys) to the town of Ulupalakua.   Ulupalakua Ranch, is a 20,000-acre open range that overlooks the Ahihi-Kinau Reserve and La Perouse Bay. We went Horse back riding on their range and into the reserves and along the cliffs…The scenery was breathtaking, we saw axis deer, wild turkeys, quail and cattle,  guava groves and patches of ironwood trees, a school of dolphin frolicking in the bay below. The area is also awash in glorious flower farms..the scent in the air is very heady.

Tonight we are going to the luau.

Tomorrow it’s the helicopter tour of the Island and we’re going snorkeling again.   We leave Tuesday night and get home early Wednesday morning.  So I’ll talk to you all Wednesday night.  Take Care. ;D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 05:26:33 am by vkm91941 »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
I'm *so* jealous.  That just sounds outrageously beautiful.  Glad to hear you guys are having such a wonderful time.  Thanks for sharing that with us!  Oh, and if you run into Josh Holloway, tell him Barb says Hello, I love you.  ;)
No more beans!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Have a swell time Victoria!! 
Enjoy!   Enjoy!   Enjoy!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Hi Vic and Nick!   

" Sounds like some real high class entertainment ya got there!"    He he he!

Sorry, had to throw in a BBM quote for you!    ;D

Have fun and we'll see you back online when you get state side.   

David    :-*

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
Sounds beautifully romantic Princess.  But what can one expect in the land of the Lei?
~A good general knows when to retreat~

vkm91941

Sounds beautifully romantic Princess.  But what can one expect in the land of the Lei?

No pun intended right Ray! 

This is my last  travelogue...As we're coming home tomorrow evening.

TODAY we Went and saw the Petroglyphs. ancient rock carvings appears to be a hunting scene with 13 men, a horse, a dog and either a wild pig or cow. There are also many petroglyphs showing men, women and children in an assortment of poses; they’re sailing surfing, fishing and hunting.  Reminds you just how ancient the Hawaiian culture is and how arrogant those Christian Missionary's were who refused to see that.

Then we went on the Helicopter tour.  It is a hairaising ride that lasts about 90 minutes, we zipped along cliff faces, over old lava flows, into the caldera of a long extinct volcano, up valleys and past waterfalls that I think must be impossible to see anyother way.  Ever minute there is one breath taking thing after another unfolding before you. A staggering site was  Iao Valley and the ‘Iao Needle' ( a rock formation)  rising more than 100 stories from the valley’s floor.

This has been a dream of a trip and we feel so much closer to each other after this trip, on the same page if you will, very rested and relaxed.  We're both having a final massage tomorrow and little shopping for the kids  before we catch our 10 pm flight home.

I'll be back on the boards full time Wednesday evening.  See you all then  Aloha Nui Loa hoapili  8)

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
Nono. Pun intended!
~A good general knows when to retreat~

dmmb_Mandy

LOL, that's great, Ray!  :)

Vic, sounds like you're having a blast! And you deserve it! Have a great time hun, we'll talk to you on Wednesday!  :-* *also jealous*

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
"Don't try to fool me no more Vic, I know what it means....Maui? ....Maui Nasty! You don't go down there to swim, sun yourself and snorkel, moma! You go down there with that nice Mr. Twist to fish some!" :o

I hope you are having a nice time, which from your posts so far I guess you are! Lucky woman! ;D *turns green with jealousy*But you deserve a break after all the great mod work you have been doing round here; snazzing up the place and such. I hope you have a great time and bring me back some browns! *ties note to moma's fishing line, price still on it after 5 years!*

Have fun, hunh! :-*
Love,
Beckala
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

EnnisDelMar

Have fun! Sounds like an amazing place :o