Author Topic: Hey, non-Americans  (Read 10385 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Hey, non-americans.
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 05:13:38 pm »
Leslie, you obviously understand what "intelligent design" means. Please, would you be willing to explain it?

I'll give you this from Wikipedia:

Intelligent design (ID) is the concept that "certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection."[1] Its leading proponents, all of whom are affiliated with the Discovery Institute[2], say that intelligent design is a scientific theory that stands on equal footing with, or is superior to, current scientific theories regarding the origin of life.[3]

An overwhelming majority[4] of the scientific community views intelligent design not as a valid scientific theory but as pseudoscience[5] or junk science.[6] The U.S. National Academy of Sciences has stated that intelligent design "and other claims of supernatural intervention in the origin of life" are not science because they cannot be tested by experiment, do not generate any predictions and propose no new hypotheses of their own.[7]

A United States federal court recently ruled that a public school district requirement for science classes to teach that intelligent design is an alternative to evolution was a violation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. In Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District (2005), United States District Judge John E. Jones III also ruled that intelligent design is not science and is essentially religious in nature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 05:16:18 pm »
Thank you :)
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 05:16:41 pm »
Since I didn't know what it meant I googled it. Here it is. I doubt it's thought here in Roman Catholic Spain, but I'll ask my friends. I live here but I'm not from here.

http://www.intelligentdesignnetwork.org/
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 05:29:59 pm »
As you can probably guess from mine and Chan's replies it is not taught in either UK or South African schools. And it definitely wasn't in my mum's day cause I asked her what it was and she didn't have a clue. But from what Leslie has described it as I think it sounds a rather stupid idea in the first place.
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2006, 05:39:14 pm »
Here in Newfoundland & Labrador it's not taught. I dunno about the rest of Canada though.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 05:47:35 pm »
You rang?

No, not in the high school I went to in Ontario.  Can't speak for those nutsos out in Aberta. ;D

Hey, nutsos like myself in Alberta could take offense to that... :P
Don't think they teach that in HS out here either ...  :)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006, 05:58:22 pm »
NO, no intelligent design ever talked about in France. But then we still have separation between the State and the Church, and I hope it stays this way.
Even in the private (understand "catholic" here) schools, they have to follow national curriculum, so no ID.
I thought this ID thing had been beaten in Congress anyway in the USA, and that it was out of the question to teach it in schools??
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Casey Cornelius

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2006, 06:32:40 pm »
Lucise:

Ditto -- as a fellow Albertan, Calgarian nutso, I also take offense at that appelation, Chanterais.

Just kidding !!   We Albertans certainly have a reputation don't we?
The frightening thing is that the subterranean, ultra-conservative under-current
in this province is now controlling the country at the Federal level.
Did you know that Focus on the Family opened a branch in Ottawa mere weeks
after the fall Conservative victory?  Hmmm, me thinks something is up with
THAT think tank moving down the street from the Parliament buildings.
So, Chanterais, we can all watch from the sidelines as the Fed Conservatives try to roll back
any number of the Liberal initatives concerning same-sex rights, abortions, etc...
It's no longer an exclusive Albertan activity.

Casey Cornelius
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 06:40:51 pm by Casey Cornelius »
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand ...

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2006, 08:31:48 pm »
Ontario dumping it's two cents worth here.

It seems to me, that outside of the fundamentalist states in parts of the USA, this is a non issue, regarded with little respect, and mostly unheard of in pretty much the entire world. I can't imagine that it will develop into anything more than what it is right now, specially since, by all indications, the right is quickly losing it's grip on it's influence on americans, and may not be considered seriously by those citizens for what may turn out to be quite a few decades! - Hey, I can dream, can't I? Hunh?!?!!
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2006, 09:24:02 pm »
Hey, guys, thanks for weighing in. I'm sorry there was confusion over the meaning!

Oy, I'm embarrassed.

Henrypie, what did I do?  :'( You know I'm insecure and desire your praise!
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.