Author Topic: Hey...there are two mountains, right?  (Read 2903 times)

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Hey...there are two mountains, right?
« on: July 17, 2007, 09:38:15 pm »
AKA "Yet another aspect I finally noticed after multiple viewings"......

BBM is not just one peak, I finally said to myself today, with said movie playing on the screen.  Two peaks show up in Jack's first postcard.  Two peaks are shown clearly in the last trip they have together, as they ride horses by the lake and you can see the peaks reflected in the water.   Two guys, two peaks.   Duh, I sez.   Why didn't I notice this before?

This movie never seems to run out of late revelations.
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Hey...there are two mountains, right?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 09:25:36 am »
That's very interesting! Also in the very last postcard that Ennis bought over at Linda Higgins's gift shop of Brokeback Mountain, there are two peaks (they are actually Mt. Lougheed and The Windtower in Alberta). Two very different peaks. There are so many dualities in the movie. Even in Alma's kitchen, everything is arranged two by two.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 12:30:51 pm »
That's very interesting! Also in the very last postcard that Ennis bought over at Linda Higgins's gift shop of Brokeback Mountain, there are two peaks (they are actually Mt. Lougheed and The Windtower in Alberta). Two very different peaks. There are so many dualities in the movie. Even in Alma's kitchen, everything is arranged two by two.

Whoa....I didn't even notice the kitchen!     
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 10:26:26 am »
Here is a scene of Alma cooking just before she brought up the arrival of the postcard:

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 05:54:46 pm »
Heya,

That's a really interesting observation about objects arranged two-by-two in the kitchen.  Do you mean that you think they're meant to be stand-ins for the double peaks?  If so, I think this echoes the fan that dominates the wall over the oven (i.e. a man-made stand-in for the wind).
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 12:06:25 pm »

Here are the two peaks, from a photo taken during my pilgrimage to Alberta last month with other BetterMostians:

Among the dozens of photos I took this is one of my favorites, because there is a spot of sunshine on The Windtower (on the right) and a spot of darkness on the right side of Mt. Lougheed (on the left) like in the yin/yang symbol.