Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3771992 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #5260 on: May 19, 2008, 03:51:19 pm »
Hmm ... I can think of a certain U.S. president he'd be well suited to play!  :laugh:

Now there's an idea. But is he as good with accents as Heath was? Somehow I doubt it.
But Iam of course jut a little on the biased side.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #5261 on: May 19, 2008, 04:10:22 pm »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #5262 on: May 19, 2008, 04:11:11 pm »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #5263 on: May 19, 2008, 04:12:26 pm »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #5264 on: May 19, 2008, 04:14:21 pm »

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5265 on: May 19, 2008, 04:15:03 pm »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #5266 on: May 19, 2008, 04:16:39 pm »
This one's tiny, but cute:

Offline BelAir

« Reply #5267 on: May 19, 2008, 04:58:26 pm »
Oh, I was going to say that Monster's ball is worth watching in entirety for the first 25 minutes or so, but I take it back. Many of the early scenes are totally painful to watch, for the wrong reasons, and pointless to boot, as Heath isn't in them. Nevertheless, I love his Sonny. Poor, poor dear.  :'(

Anyway, The Patriot has been duly watched and here are my impressions: (*spoilers, obviously*)

There's been a climate change since the late 1700's. The entire war of independence (is that its name?) was fought in the most lovely, perfect weather, and mainly in autumn when one could march around in corn fields and shoot at each other.

The film sported a heck of a lot of gorgeous costumes and fantastic scenes and scenery, loads of big battle scenes, plantation vistas, big formal balls and what not. It looked like a thoroughly expensive production.

I was expecting the very worst when it came to smaltzy OTT patriotic pathos, so I was actually somewhat pleasantly surprised. For a good part of the film it wasn't as awful as I'd dreaded. Though the last fight between Jason Isaacs and Heath, and even more so the one with Mel Gibson, exceeded my fears and took forever and a day while the violins were going crazy and the slow-mo was put to excessive use. No surprise in that last scene, sure enough.

Virginia (?) in the 1700's before the Brits made such a mess of it must have been alike to England in King Artur's Day, where a pretty virgin allegedly could ride alone in safety from one end of the country to the other carrying a purse full of gold. How else to account for the pretty young aunt, in her continually bosom-baring frocks, living all alone with just a few little kids for company, though a war was raging in the vicinity and strays from both armies plus other brigands would not be unexpected IMO.

The warfare back in the day, where the armies just marched at each other while gunning each other down, seems stupid beyond belief.

Wow, the British were EVIL!! Now I know why my English friends have rolled their eyes at this film so excessively. The lot of those guys as depicted in the film obviously had been born 150 years too soon, and in the wrong nation - they all belonged with the Waffen SS, far as I could determine. If that church-burning isn't a historic fact, I think it was dreadful to include that scene to make the Brits come across all evil. Mrs. Gabriel could have been killed in lots of other ways that would have been less gruesome and more historically correct.

I think the violence was quite excessive, but that was as expected.

All that out of the way: WHO CARES!?! Heath's role was much bigger than I thought it would be (I was misinformed into beliveing he was the son who gets shot early on). And he looked fantastic throughout.  I don't rightly know about the acting, - in a way the film was so formulaic it didn't give anyone much to surprise or awe us with. But it was so worth watching for all the Heathy goodness anyway!!

Mikaela, I had such a good chuckle out of your comments.... 

:)

You're so right about the violence, but yes, so much Heathy goodness...

:)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #5268 on: May 19, 2008, 04:59:17 pm »
Hmm ... I can think of a certain U.S. president he'd be well suited to play!  :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

**has small moment of self-insight**

Or... he could play me when I'm going on about my view of Mel Gibson. :blush:  :-X

About the accents.. I was thinking while watching the film, how strange it was to have the two leads in a film about the American War of Independence both played by two Aussies. Not being a native English speaker myself I was utterly unable to judge how well they spoke the proper accents for the roles, but knowing Heath I'm sure he did so to perfection!

At least the two chief villains were both English actors so they probably had the posh brit accents properly down pat!

Goodness, the pictures of Gabriel/Heath you provide are just utterly lovely, Paul. THANK YOU!!  :-*

Offline BelAir

« Reply #5269 on: May 19, 2008, 05:08:37 pm »

(I don't think Paul posted that one yet.)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."